Why is HP so famous? (1 Viewer)

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
"Harry Potter"
....."Is that harry potter".......
(miffled screams) "ARGH HARRY POTTER"
"WHERE"

The goofy next doorsy boy that we have all, one way or another, familarised ourselve with. The series have successly combined characteristics of the gallant unconventional hero. What makes Harry Potter successful is the fact that it is relative to almost all walks of life. A touch of fantasy, not overtly unbelieveble and not tiresomely descriptive.

Harry potter isn't my favourite series of al time, but i have to admit....it's darn good, lol.

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by fi_babezy
Harry potter isn't my favourite series of al time, but i have to admit....it's darn good, lol.
my sentiments exactly!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, see? this is what i mean. Everyone is so obsessed with HP, and i cant see why. :S

lol. Ok, fine, its good. :)

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by mweep
HP is not really that deep. I can name a dozen books off the top of my head that are much deeper.
hehe well HP is pretty *deep*... considering they ARE children's books, i guess. though book 5 onwards [or even book 4 onwards] are probably more suitable for older readers....

Krangelus

i am a tiger
HSC
N/A
its because when the first one was first written and published the book was marketted in a way that appealed to children, then they may or may not have paid lots of people to say it is really good as a means of "word of mouth" advertising. This stratergy that they may or may not have used, was so effective that the first HP book sold many many copies. The marketting people for the book then decided to milk it and got J.K Rowling to do some public reading, and release a campaign for Harry Potter to be good for people of ANY age.

The reason why it is so "great" is that people are sheeps and they sheep off each other.

Serpentia

Harry Potter has so many characters and complexities to it, they're very cleverly written books I think because they are so damn fun to read and totally take the reader into a new world. It doesn't try to teach any lesson but provides hours of enjoyment as you explore a whole new world. The characters are loveable, if not somewhat exaggerated versions of everyday people of society, so everyone can identify with the characters.

I think the Harry Potter series is a lovely series to read, I've read the first four books about 5 times each and the fifth only once but the fifth one is so big as well. Ive also outgrown reading the same book over and over again, and I dont have enough time to read books that arent related to school dammit!

The movies were a great disappointment to me because they were basically just brief overviews of the plot and did not display or delve into any of the sub plots (there are many) and tended to focus more on the plot than the characters.

Its also fantastic because so many people from different age groups can enjoy the series, my mum loves the series as do I (despite a 30 year age gap)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it's fantasy. kids love it. hp is the good guy, defeats evil, kid's love it.

now, when i first got the book i didn't know what it was, i began to read it and got hooked! this was before the rage! so, there is also something about the writing style.

lazybum

HSC
N/A
it's quite ridiculous how much i enjoy a kids book. i'd classify it as a fantasy book, but i hate magic/fantasy - so why am i so obsessed?????????
one of my friends, who just got 99.9 on hsc btw, is hooked on it...... hp has a special charm.

Kos

Originally posted by lazybum
it's quite ridiculous how much i enjoy a kids book. i'd classify it as a fantasy book, but i hate magic/fantasy - so why am i so obsessed?????????
one of my friends, who just got 99.9 on hsc btw, is hooked on it...... hp has a special charm.
UAI has nothing to do with taste or even intelligence.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I usually hate fantasy as well...I was thinking that maybe the reason I could handle Harry Potter is because his character started off as just a regular person and had to have all the magic stuff explained to him, and people go to school to learn it and occassionally fuck things up and stuff...whereas when characters walk around talking about mystical crystals, spawning off all these spells and talking about ancient enchanted trees as if it's the norm, it seems a bit wanky to me.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
its funny cos every short story/creative writing task by school kids in the next few years is gonna be abt a boy wizard.. id hate to be an english teacher now

Kos

Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I usually hate fantasy as well...I was thinking that maybe the reason I could handle Harry Potter is because his character started off as just a regular person and had to have all the magic stuff explained to him, and people go to school to learn it and occassionally fuck things up and stuff...whereas when characters walk around talking about mystical crystals, spawning off all these spells and talking about ancient enchanted trees as if it's the norm, it seems a bit wanky to me.
Nearly all fantasy books centre around someone who starts out as a normal person. They are nearly all rags to riches tales.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
ssoo true. In fact, the ONLY book i've mentioned so far, A Wizard of Earthsea, has a boy who knows nothing about magic grow to become a wizard. As Kos said, just about all fantasy, esp teenaged fantasy and for even younger readers, are 'rags to riches' tales.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)