Why doesn't anyone talk about HSC-related adjustment factors? (1 Viewer)

gamja

HSC
See affiliate links for UNSW, USYD, MACQ unis and their respective adjustment factors (imma refer to as AF from now on) for getting band6/5s in the HSC:

HSC Plus 2023 Admission - Adjustment Factor points by UNSW program
Academic Excellence Scheme - The University of Sydney
Adjustment factor calculator - Macquarie University (mq.edu.au)

I know, I know, there are quite a few courses that 1. don't allow this sort of AFs, e.g., Master of Optometry UNSW, B commerce/advanced studies USYD or 2. only allow AFs for limited subjects e.g., e3/e4 for 4u english Macq. And obviously no medicine course in Aus will be dilly-dallying with this AF nonsense.

But the cold fact remains that you can get potentially 5 or more points on top of your ATAR (for some reason I didn't think 1 ATAR point meant like going from 98 to 99 selection rank) onto your selection rank without being EAS, or rural, or Indigenous...

For example, that means that for a majority of courses (i think), you can just instantly max out at 99.95 selection rank if you get 3 band 6s in english and maths subjects, bringing your *raw* ATAR of 94.00 up 6 points. An ATAR of 94 turning into a selection rank of 99.95.

obv it's the same rules for everyone, and all of this applied AUTOMATICALLY to your atar when unis calculate your selection rank. But the fact remains that this form of thinking could radically change the way people see 'minimum entry selection ranks' and prioritising their maths and english marks over other subjects in the HSC.

It would change the mentality of many (if not most students) to - 'If your dream course isn't one of those exceptions and you get band 6s in your english and maths, you're basically set'.

If no one in the comments proves me wrong*, this is definitely something you should take into account.

(*sorry this sounded haughty af - please feel very welcome to discuss in this thread lol)

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah I think most people know this it’s just that it doesn’t apply to courses that are really hard to get into

Cliiton

HSC
Because it’s a shit mentality relying on selection rank adjustments. It’s better to aim for the raw atar for your course and considering the adjustment factors as a safety net or bonus on top.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)