Why does the Maglev train require Superconductivity? (1 Viewer)

ThreeOne

HSC
Why does the Maglev train require Superconductivity to operate?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Because the Maglev is an application of the Superconductor.
You could use magnetic levitation using normal magnets, but the absence of resistance is a desired feature.
That's probably what makes it different, because the power requirements are already enormous.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
That I believe has a point missing.

A crucial point about superconductivity is the meissener effect, where super conducting material generates a magnetic field to oppose any incoming magnetic fields.

This repulsion is what causes the train to levitate.

helper

HSC
N/A
The meissner effect does not cause the levitation for the Maglev train. The point is as has been recalled above that large magnetic fields are required. To maintain these they are using superconductors,

zingerburger

HSC
There's a "critical magnetic field point"? I only ever thought there was one critical point - temperature. Once it goes above the critical point of temperature, that's when it starts losing superconductivity?

I don't know. I don't believe there is a critical magnetic field point. But like 'helper' said, superconductors are required to make powerful magnetic fields.

Senrui

HSC
There are three critical parts actually, Critical Temperature, Critical Current and Critical Magnetic field.

The Meissner effect works due the lack of resistance in a superconductor. If you go back to Motors and Generators, you should remember that the magnetic field produced can never fully oppose the motion that created it due to resistance in the conductor. The resistance in the conductor means that the magnitude of the magnetic field will NOT be equal to that of the one that produced it. Because there is no resistance in a superconductor, the magnetic field produced by it due to current flow will always be EXACTLY equal to that of the field that produced it. It’s not actually levitating so much as hovering. As soon as the magnet starts to move towards the superconductor, it induces a current that exactly opposes the motion of the magnet, then the magnet stops dropping, the induced current disappears, then it tries to drop again etc…

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)