• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why do you read? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I read for entertainment, or because I am forced to (eg uni readings).

Hence my love of pulp fiction, particularly light fantasy and authors like Kathy Lette :D

Kathy Lette said:
Men think monogamy is something you make dining tables out of.

That being said, I have a great appreciation of good fantasy that isn't too heavy, such as Sara Douglass. I'm also a very fast reader so the more fantasy series I can get my hands on, the better!

Last edited:

NRuus

Australialainen Suomessa
HSC
I'm not quite sure. I think it started off as an entertainment type thing and I got hooked. These days for me it is a release and something to do when i don't have anything else to do.

I have read the Harry Potter books and although i've read all of them they aren't really of that great an interest to me. I think because they are aimed partially at a much younger audience and I have been reading books that are aimed for older audiences for a while. I tried reading The Hobbit and i really wanted to read it but i just couldn't get into it. And that is unusual for me I can read almost anything and I just couldn't get into it. I didn't like the LotR movies either though they sent me to sleep. And I haven't read and Dan Brown because i just don't really have an interest in it. I mean it's vaguely interesting but it doesn't interest me that much to want to absolutely go pick it up and read.

I read alot of Star Wars and other fantasy and Sci Fi and i also love war stories especially true stories.

SharkBait

HSC
because it provides profound insight to the society, whether it'd be political, cultural, social or religious etc. i read somewhere once that fictions offer more truth of the world than non-fictions - i think that is precisely right.
as for what jhakka was sayin abt popular writers such as brown or rowling...personally, i dont dislike brown because of the fact he is making shitloads of money from it, but for the pure reason that he is a bad literary writer full stop! rowling on the other hand, is not too bad considering her target audience.
often, the reason we read and who we read are intrinsically linked, so it wud vary depending on the writer...

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
For me it started as a way to learn english when I first came to australia. and then from that, it becomes something I greatly enjoy.

I read to be entertained, to be challenged and to be taught.

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
I think the reason so many people get uptight about people talking about books like the Da Vinci code is because they think the fact they read defines them as an intellectual and that they're better than everyone else because of it, or more sophisticated or cultured or something (stupid idea in my opinion).

It's the same as people who say band's have "sold out' as soon as they start to fill their gigs up and refuse to listen to their favourite band's music anymore because now everybody likes their music.

Some people have such a lack of personality that the only way they can define themselves is through some sort of random cultural identity that, if popular, would leave them as basically nothing.

...People shouldn't have a problem with something because it's popular or because other people that they "don't like to be associated with" also like that thing!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i read for pleasure. i can't say i really like any sort of book over another, it really depends what i am in the mood for at the time. i can get just as much enjoyment out of a trashy thriller as i can out of a classic - it's all about the mindset. generally speaking i lean towards speculative fiction, good satire, some classic books, and some pulp fiction; a bit of a mix. not very keen on straight factual books, although i will read them from time to time.

walrusbear

HSC
Baiku said:
I think the reason so many people get uptight about people talking about books like the Da Vinci code is because they think the fact they read defines them as an intellectual and that they're better than everyone else because of it, or more sophisticated or cultured or something (stupid idea in my opinion).

It's the same as people who say band's have "sold out' as soon as they start to fill their gigs up and refuse to listen to their favourite band's music anymore because now everybody likes their music.

Some people have such a lack of personality that the only way they can define themselves is through some sort of random cultural identity that, if popular, would leave them as basically nothing.

...People shouldn't have a problem with something because it's popular or because other people that they "don't like to be associated with" also like that thing!
perhaps in some cases
it's also frustrating when the source in question (dan brown, matthew reilly) don't deserve the discussion/attention they've received
genre fiction is great but it becomes tedious when one-offs are elevated behind all reason

J

jhakka

But the question is is that the fault of the author, or is it the fault of the critics who rave abuot the books? And does/should it detract from the actual value/readibility of the book?

walrusbear

HSC
jhakka said:
But the question is is that the fault of the author, or is it the fault of the critics who rave abuot the books? And does/should it detract from the actual value/readibility of the book?
it's a reflection of the mass readership
the author is just making some money - that's fine
it takes away from the books because it distorts their real value

HSC
I read for enjoyment I suppose, although my parents would say I read to live. :) It really annoys them because I shed three or four books around the house everyday and then they have to pick them up.

If its a school book I read it about three times, usually in the first day or two that I get it, and then I have to stop otherwise I'll hate it by the time the rest of the class has finally read it all.

J

jhakka

As a general rule school books only take one reading for me to hate them. :p

But then again we read crap like Queen Kat, Carmel and Saint Jude Get a Life, My Place (*shudder*), Emma and Anil's Ghost.

Stuff like Tomorrow, When the War Began and The Real Inspector Hound was awesome, though. :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I don't even think about why I read although I like what Scout said in TKAM, "Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing"

It's just something I do and I hardly think about it. I've always had a book on hand all the time, always loved the library since I was a kid. It's like a haven of free books. Reading is so portable, you can take a book anywhere and it 's so rewarding.

J

jhakka

For what it's worth, I never really thought about it until I started doing Arts/English at uni. So many people who couldn't read anything for simple enjoyment got me thinking about it. Kinda freaked me out, because I was taught to value books/reading, and have loved it since I knew how.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
jhakka said:
So many people who couldn't read anything for simple enjoyment got me thinking about it. Kinda freaked me out, because I was taught to value books/reading, and have loved it since I knew how.
Agreed - I remember in year 10 my friend was harassing me about how to improve his vocab for writing and I told him to try reading as a hobby. He borrowed twelve of my books for a year and never ever ended even reading the first chapter of any of them because he just cbf to read a book. Before that I thought it was common practice that everyone would like some kind of book...guess not.

robo-andie

HSC
I used to read a lot, and now for some reason, I can't bring myself to finish a book unless I know I am going to be assessed on it.

I read a lot of articles and reviews though, and I mostly do it to keep myself informed and my brain stimulated by new/interesting information.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Baiku said:

How can you have a 'lack of personality'? I never understood this phrase to be honest. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)