Why do we study English? (1 Viewer)

Would you take English if it wasn't mandatory?

• YES

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • HELL NO

Votes: 57 75.0%

• Total voters

Killerdoggy19

HSC
The question says it all. Why do we have to study English?

I mean, I understand why about grammar and s*** but why do we need to analyse some stupid text from 400 years ago and discuss how some idiot dies or whatever. How would this help you guys in the future? Do the BOS just like to piss people off because they make you guys study irrelevant stuff?

Also, what the teacher says about a poem or text may be wrong. For example, a teacher may talk about Robert Frost's poetry and discuss how the persona connects with nature. Well, what if the poet actually wasn't admiring nature? What if he just wrote some crap or whatever?

Think about it you English lovers...

WASTE OF TIME

teridax

HSC
N/A
hsc english is so useful in that its narrow literary language can be applied universally to all degrees at uni

said no one ever

Last edited:

buriza

conviction
HSC
Because there is probably no other subject that could be more reasonably done by everyone else. (Maybe General Mathematics?)

Having said that, I am of the opinion that the subject could definitely improve in how it's taught.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Because there is probably no other subject that could be more reasonably done by everyone else. (Maybe General Mathematics?)

Having said that, I am of the opinion that the subject could definitely improve in how it's taught.
And what do you propose then?

buriza

conviction
HSC
And what do you propose then?
Be more about emphasising how essays are written (and not just in relevance to fiction). Depending on the state as a whole too, perhaps there should be more building upon the fundamentals like grammar, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary, etcetera.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Be more about emphasising how essays are written (and not just in relevance to fiction). Depending on the state as a whole too, perhaps there should be more building upon the fundamentals like grammar, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary, etcetera.
But aren't those already nurtured in year 7-10?

buriza

conviction
HSC
But aren't those already nurtured in year 7-10?
This is why I said it depends on the state as a whole. While this might've been the case for your school (it was more assumed knowledge in mine to be honest), this might not be the case for other schools. I've personally seen and heard of a lot of cases where students are poor in these areas by the time they get to their HSC years.

Furthermore there's always the option of having two levels of English, with a lower level of English (so to say) being more focused on these fundamentals than the other.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
would prefer students to be taught how to write strong essays/reports within their own subjects (of course barring subjects like Maths). These skills are more relevant for the real world, and also teaches students how to write analytically.

HSC
Prob they want to see who would crumble under the pressure and who can handle it.
Fact, effective bullshit skills can help you survive HSC english
Why can't it be like the other years? I don't mind it being compulsory but as one of our 10 units thats horrible. They pick the subject that has people going on about made up analysis that the composer didn't care about, to be counted

camsmith

HSC
We are limited in the way we can compose our thoughts. The more control we have over language and our thoughts, the better human beings we are.

buriza

conviction
HSC
We are limited in the way we can compose our thoughts. The more control we have over language and our thoughts, the better human beings we are.
Having better communication skills doesn't always make you a better person.

camsmith

HSC
Having better communication skills doesn't always make you a better person.
Your correct, although I wasn't saying that. English viewed in the right way can be one of the best subjects you do, it's just a shame not everyone can do it, and theres no arguing its not for everyone. However, especially in year 12, if you take the initiative to read widely, like read proper books, books like I dunno albert camus' "the plague", then you'll learn a lot of things and concept that you can bring into your ideas such as the idea of "absurdism", and things that would not be taught to you in any other subject. English can teach you think logically. My opinion though and as I said its not really for everyone

buriza

conviction
HSC
Your correct, although I wasn't saying that. English viewed in the right way can be one of the best subjects you do, it's just a shame not everyone can do it, and theres no arguing its not for everyone. However, especially in year 12, if you take the initiative to read widely, like read proper books, books like I dunno albert camus' "the plague", then you'll learn a lot of things and concept that you can bring into your ideas such as the idea of "absurdism", and things that would not be taught to you in any other subject. English can teach you think logically. My opinion though and as I said its not really for everyone
You're right in saying it's not for everyone, in the long term a lot of the things you mentioned probably won't be relevant for many people out there in terms of the direction they choose to go (i.e. not arts related). :haha:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Doing English is like going to hell and back but for 2 years.

camsmith

HSC
Hmm yes you can view it objectively like that. I'm purely speaking out of personal experience and the life-skills I've gained from doing it and reading widely. Once you have the appetite for knowledge, everything is viewed differently. Speaking objectively though, your probably right.

buriza

conviction
HSC
Hmm yes you can view it objectively like that. I'm purely speaking out of personal experience and the life-skills I've gained from doing it and reading widely. Once you have the appetite for knowledge, everything is viewed differently. Speaking objectively though, your probably right.
Yeah I attempt to objective when this topic is brought up (and it's brought up a lot on here), since I did 4 units of English and it was among my best marks. Not to mention I've done my fair share of arts units in university too. I think on a whole English can encourage wider reading, but some people may not personally experience this, one reason being they could find assigned texts/modules of study disinteresting. So say this didn't happen and it was free for all, you'd probably get more success in what you're saying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)