Why do people say UTS is a bad uni??? (1 Viewer)

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
1. It's a relatively new uni, which means it lacks prestige
2. It's a more 'practical' uni meaning that it lacks things such as a proper arts degree, a proper computer science degree and until this year a proper economics degree.
3. They have the ugliest building in sydney (however you could argue it also has the 2nd prettiest in sydney as well)
4. It lacks a proper 'campus', there are no sports fields or uni owned food courts or bars just a couple of buildings...
5. It ranks poorly globally (especially compared to UNSW,USYD,UQ,ANU,UMELB etc..)

Those are the main ones off the top of my head, there are probably other arguments from those closer to the uni...

lastofus

HSC
2. It's a more 'practical' uni meaning that it lacks things such as a proper arts degree, a proper computer science degree and until this year a proper economics degree.
3. They have the ugliest building in sydney (however you could argue it also has the 2nd prettiest in sydney as well)
4. It lacks a proper 'campus', there are no sports fields or uni owned food courts or bars just a couple of buildings...
5. It ranks poorly globally (especially compared to UNSW,USYD,UQ,ANU,UMELB etc..)

Those are the main ones off the top of my head, there are probably other arguments from those closer to the uni...
Pretty accurate answers I would say, although I thought it would be interesting to note that UTS has been climbing the world university rankings quite impressively (Wollongong has as well). I.e. UTS has recently overtaken Macquarie in the past year (it jumped 46 ranks since last year).

Also, OP if you are planning on going to UTS, do not be disheartened by others' opinions. It is about what you prefer.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
There's no denying that most job opportunities go to UNSW/USYD kiddos (in the commerce field at least).

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad

lol wut, we own the best kebab shop eva!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

lol wut, we own the best kebab shop eva!
It's actually kind of a franchise, the original one is at Usyd. (note UTS one is called Uni Brothers 2)

By design I suspect. I don't think most humanities courses have a place at a Technology university (I also think there are enough positions between the other units).

Stuff like an "Economics" degree is just rebranding of Commerce/Business degree. UTS often try to cut down on having a million different course codes and faculties. I believe the B Eco is only being introduced to UTS because it is a new co-op program similar to the B Acc and BIT, it's not a regular course. If you want to study eco you can just major in economics under a B Bus.

I think this point should just be that it ranks lower, I wouldn't call it "poor".

By some measures, UTS is the highest ranking university outside of the Group Of 8. That's really impressive given the age, funding etc. Those happen to be the same reasons the Go8 unis rank "poorly" compared to the top tier UK/US universities.

turntaker

HSC
Its all the same. Just different prestige.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)