Why do I feel somewhat calm for the HSC exams? (1 Viewer)

Suz D

HSC
Hello!

So normally for exams, about a week or 2 in advance, I always feel stressed and anxious. I will usually use this to help motivate me and stay focused. But next week, the first HSC exam is starting and I don't feel either of those things. I feel eerily calm and actually kinda confident. I am worried that it is a sign that I am not prepared enough or if it means that I will be perfectly fine. I am also worried that it might be a false sense of confidence. I do want to do well, so I just want to make sure that this feeling isn't going to make things go wrong.

For all the people who have done their HSC, was this a similar feeling? If so, how did it work out? Also, does anyone have any reasons or tips to overcome or understand these feelings?

Thanks!

icycledough

HSC
It really does change from person to person in terms of how they will tend to feel with a week or so left before the HSC. Of course, at the end of the day, it is absolutely normal to feel somewhat nervous or worried (again, this can vary on a 'scale' for different people), as it's probably the most important set of exams you will have to write in your life. But on the other hand, there's absolutely nothing wrong with feeling confident or not feeling worried about the HSC. It shows that you are prepared, which is the most important thing for any exam.

This may sound weird, but in a way, you don't want to spend all your time thinking about the upcoming exams (if that makes sense). But yh, there definitely is a difference between confidence and being egotistical, or 'over-confident' about your exams. It sounds like you're confident, which is definitely a good thing in many regards

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I think that some (many?) of the students facing the IB and HSC this year are experiencing feelings of relief that the exams are finally here, that after all the delays and disruption, there actually is an end to the high school journey in sight. Countless students in the past have quietly wished to have the exams pushed back, to have a little more time to prepare. This year's cohort have experienced the disruption that is necessary for such a thing to happen - and not just of education and exam preparation, but also of social and emotional lives.

My guess is that your feelings are shared by many of your colleagues and that you experiencing an understandable and unproblematic response to the events you have expected for years now coming to pass. As @Life'sHard has suggested, it sounds like you feel prepared and ready to face the challenge, and that is healthy. So long as you remain aware that keeping working is important and that over-confidence (feeling no need to study, for example) is dangerous, you can keep yourself on track.

Good luck!

DarkOperator618

HSC
Hello!

So normally for exams, about a week or 2 in advance, I always feel stressed and anxious. I will usually use this to help motivate me and stay focused. But next week, the first HSC exam is starting and I don't feel either of those things. I feel eerily calm and actually kinda confident. I am worried that it is a sign that I am not prepared enough or if it means that I will be perfectly fine. I am also worried that it might be a false sense of confidence. I do want to do well, so I just want to make sure that this feeling isn't going to make things go wrong.

For all the people who have done their HSC, was this a similar feeling? If so, how did it work out? Also, does anyone have any reasons or tips to overcome or understand these feelings?

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat as you

i feel like a psychopath ngl

on another note, we also got No Nut November to worry about

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
Hello!

Thanks!
as others have said, you're most likely sufficiently prepared and that's why you feel calm. you've been working towards your HSC for a whole year (or 13 years in a way) so it makes sense that at this stage, with only a week left, you're mostly ready and this is reflecting in how normal you feel. don't overthink it, I doubt this is a sign of false confidence or overconfidence, I also worried about the same thing last year but it turns out I was as ready as I needed to be and I was almost eager for the HSC to happen, so I could finally get the headache over with. it's just an exam like any other you've sat, there are usually very few surprises (or surprises that can't be dealt with) and if you're prepared then you'll completely breeze through the HSC

try to remain in a Zen state of mind right up until and through the exams too, it really helps with your performance if you're not so nervous or freaked out. keep your head clear of negative thoughts ("I'm gonna screw up" "I could've studied a bit more" "I won't finish on time" etc.) and trust that your preparation and efforts were good enough, since a positive "I've got this" attitude could be the very thing that makes you do well

feeling calm before HSC doesn't make you psychopathic (lol), it can seem odd being able to feel ok during such critical times but it's actually a great thing, calm >> nervous and panicked

5uckerberg

HSC
Isn't human psychology an interesting one? When bad things already have happened to you, you tend to find that an examination like this is like "Nah, I have experienced worse." But when you have no bad moments you tend to go I want to keep enjoying the good bits and want to push back the examination.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Hello!

Thanks!
Actually same. The only thing i'm scared about is accidentally coughing in the exam.

Our head teacher said we'll be kicked out if we cough once or even twice which is scary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)