Why do an honours course. Also postgraduate masters course. Benefits? (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I had a glance at the post-grad stands the ANU had at open day they didnt seem to be linked to research intensive degrees eg (I'm assuming partly because its in canberra) there were quite a range which dealt with international relations and diplomacy.

Avenues that stem from BA's, B Ec's and B Asain Studies - not 'research degrees'.

doe

HSC
N/A
thats right, postgrad is a term to mean any qualification that requires a bachelors degree (ie post graduation). there are some business ones that take work experience but they are the exception. i dont think honours is generally considered postgrad.

phd are generally for research. you cannot get a phd without contributing something new to the pool of human knowledge, which generally implies research. most research positions (like at the csiro etc) require a phd. this is why i say it is for research. as it was explained to me, a phd is like your apprenticeship for life as a researcher, where you learn how to conduct valid research.

things like a masters, postgraduate diplomas/certificates are extra qualifications akin to an undergrad degree on steriods. they are done for a variety of reasons as discussed in this thread.

collectively these things are referred to as postgraduate study. most postgrad information days are targeted at people wanting to do masters. from what i have seen people tend to use masters degrees as a stepping stone. they may have worked for five or so years and their career has plateaued so they are not really happy where they are or looking for new challenges. a masters, be it in the field they studied as an undergrad or a different field altogether, can provide them with more interesting and varied options to continue their career.

there are no particularly hard and fast rules, requirements will vary from uni to uni, course to course. for example you can do a masters by research which can lead to a phd. in general a masters by coursework will not allow you to get into a phd, but this varies from field to field. i am pretty sure its true for science, but i know a guy who has an MBA and is thinking about doing a DBA (he also has no undergrad qualification, he became an accountant before you needed a degree to be one :D )

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Dr of marketing?

not worth it

I doubt very much that it would help you get a job..... it would be more useful if you wanted to b an acedemic.... I think that work experience/personality/creativity are more important in marketing than a Ph.D.....although it may be use ful to go back to uni later in life and get a masters in marketing. Thats what my mum did. Being overqualified and having no experience wont get u a job. If u want to do a postgrad course in marketing, it is better to do an honours year

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I wanna PhD .. but like MUCH later on in lfe.. just so I can be called doctor lol.. but like 10/20 years down the track

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If you just want to be called "doctor" then what's the point? You'll never earn the title if your only motivation is the title itself.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Is anyone actually doing honours at the moment or know someone who has done/is doing it? I'm very curious about the workload. I just recieved an offer for honours, however I know very little about it and have only 3 days to decide if I want to do it or not.
I'm doing speech pathology, and in my course, you don't have an extra year tacked onto the end...you work on it in addition to the normal coursework during 3rd and 4th year. The degree basically involves researching and writing a journal article, to be published.
I would LOVE to do it, because a research project sounds right up my alley, and i'm slightly concerned about getting a job when i graduate, so this will definitely help me along. However...the workload in my course is HUGE. Last year I was stressed out beyong all belief, and apparently the workload doesn't improve in 3rd and 4th year-and you stop getting holidays. So I'm pretty concerned about taking honours on on top of what I'm already doing. Does anyone know approximately how much work an honours program like that would be?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Butterfly_Wings said:
Is anyone actually doing honours at the moment or know someone who has done/is doing it? I'm very curious about the workload. I just recieved an offer for honours, however I know very little about it and have only 3 days to decide if I want to do it or not.
Why don't you call the academics and see what they say on whether it is comparable to your final year or harder? I think they would know better than people who might be doing honours in an unrelated field. Also don't they give you guys an info session where prior students give their opinion? If not then ask for some current honours student's names and find out what they think. I find it hard to believe that at the end of your undergraduate career you have left it 3 days before the deadline to figure out if honours is your scene or not.

If people are looking for fast tracks to PhD status there are several ways if you don't get honours including starting off in a research masters straight after undergrad and upgrading it into a PhD after the first year.

A PhD also does not have to take 3 years to do, that is the suggested time to allow you to gather your thoughts, research and formulate a half decent argument. I've seen some people do a PhD in a year, of course they worked in the industry for many years prior to that. The 3 years is also so you can claim all the junkets...erm I mean conferences and field trips... you take overseas for "research" to your sponsors.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
. I find it hard to believe that at the end of your undergraduate career you have left it 3 days before the deadline to figure out if honours is your scene or not.
Well, I assumed I wasn't going to get it, so I didn't get it much consideration. And I only received the offer like 3 hours ago. And I'm not at the end of the course, I just finished 2nd year.

And no, we don't get an information session or anything like that...about a month before last semester finished up, one of the lecturers went over what honours involved, but she only spoke about it for like 10 mins, so I don't really have much info...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)