Why are Batons, Pepper Spray and other non-lethal self-defence devices ILLEGAL? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Why are Extendable Batons, Pepper Spray and other nonlethal self-defence devices ILLEGAL to ordinary residents in Australia (except in WA)?

Maybe pepper spray could be more controversial,

but to my understanding, a kitchen knife, a pair of scissors, an iron stick, a hammer and a wrench are all much more lethal than a dull police baton. They are not only more lethal, they are easy to obtain, and they are easy to be hidden in schoolbags.

On the other hand, Police baton in nature is just a stick.
What could possibly make the baton illegal normal civilians?

It's almost like pretending Australia as a gun-free and any-weapon-free country. Almost two shooting cases per week are reported in Sydney Morning Herald, not to count in the unreported ones.

Again, why? Does the government intend to deprive every individual of the right to self-defence? If not, why?

murphyad

HSC
If a kitchen knife, a pair of scissors or an iron stick are all far more lethal than a police baton and thus presumably better for self-defence, why do you care if a police baton is illegal or not?

Unless I'm somehow missing the point; would you prefer to club someone unconscious in self-defense with a police baton than you would with an iron stick?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm annoyed that pepper spray is illegal. We still keep some stashed in the house, though.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Kitchen knife, a pair of scissors, an iron stick, a hammer and a wrench
Their primary uses are tools.
There are many common items and tools that have the potential to maim or kill, but they aren't illegal because people use them for their intended purpose most of the time.
Impaled someone with a fountain pen lately?

Batons, Pepper Spray
Their primary purpose is to disable someone temporarily and when not used by authorities for apprehension of course it is illegal but either way you use these against someone's will.

alrite end discussion, mebe i pack an M1911 w/ lethal .45 ACP ammo with me next time instead of an MK22 w/ 9mm tranquiliser ammo.

C

copkiller

Does the government intend to deprive every individual of the right to self-defence? If not, why?
Because we don't need to defend ourselves; the police do such a great job.

If a violent criminal is threatening to hurt you or your family you don't need a weapon to defend yourself, just call the police and they'll be there to help you within a few hours.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Best legal and non-suspicious form of defence, especially for women wandering around dark places alone at night: a 30cm Maglite torch.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
non-lethal self-defence devices

C

copkiller

Best legal and non-suspicious form of defence, especially for women wandering around dark places alone at night: a 30cm Maglite torch.
Explain?

I think pepper spray would be a lot better.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

If a violent criminal is threatening to hurt you or your family you don't need a weapon to defend yourself, just call the police and they'll be there to help you within a few hours.
By that time you could be dead....

I'd love to be able to carry pepper spray on me.

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A

privatize the police force? I believe we should.

C

copkiller

Have you ever been clobbered by a Maglite torch?
Ahhhh, just clarifying if you meant to beat attackers, or because the lighting would somehow make you safe.

Still, I think 90% of the time against a violent man, a woman with a maglite is still going to be fucked.

Now, if she could carry a handgun...

Last edited by a moderator:

kokodamonkey

HSC
I didn't realise pepper spray was illegal... i thought all girls had it in their handbags.

murphyad

HSC
Sarcastic but not always true *anecdote alert*.

The one day some months go now my friend hapened to witness a rape as he was driving home; apparently he called the police and they arrived within less than a minute in full force. Justice appropriately served in this particular instance with no pepper spray required.

C

copkiller

Sarcastic but not always true *anecdote alert*.

The one day some months go now my friend hapened to witness a rape as he was driving home; apparently he called the police and they arrived within less than a minute in full force. Justice appropriately served in this particular instance with no pepper spray required.
Look you're mate's example is the exception.

It's not even an inherent failure of the police, I'm sure they very often are doing their best to help people, but even for the most committed, well funded police department its often going to take too long to get to a violent confrontation for the police to save the victim.

Another problem is that there will often be insufficient time to call the police. If a some psychopath is trying to rape you, you can bet the first thing he will do is grab your phone and smash it.

Suffice to say there are going to be a lot of cases where the only way a person can prevent something awful happening to them is by having a weapon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)