Why am I still doing modern history? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Yeah, another subject advice thread.

So after getting first UAI predictions and feedback on subjects which didn't really do much except for making me think about my subjects... I thought about my subjects.

This year I'm doing:

Maths + Ext 1
English + Ext 1
Physics
Chemistry
Agriculture (HSC)
Modern History

I only need 10 good units.. and no matter how awesome I do in modern it won't be better than physics, chem, or 4 units of maths. Just because I'm a science person. And I'm keeping ag, because it finishes this year and if I do well I can do cosmology. I won't care if I don't count that, because it's interesting and would be a great opportunity. Which leads me to think.. what am I doing modern for?

For it:
-I'm enjoying it right now
-the stuff you learn is somewhat relevant towards current affairs and I don't want to stay an uninformed airhead
-it's a humanities, and a contrast from my other subjects
-it makes me look like I care about people, for future purposes

Against it:
-if I drop, I can change EE1 lines and instead of having to get to school at 8 every day, I reduce it to three days a week, and be a bit less sleep deprived
-I don't NEED to keep doing it
-I won't be doing it next year anyway, unless I screw up ag and need a backup subject

Opinions and objective advice would be good. In advance, I know not to solely rely on advice from strangers, and I know not everything's about how it affects your UAI. :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well, doing Modern would give you a variety of subjects, and perhaps a better variety of career paths in the future.

BUT you're a dedicated science person, and from the above pros and cons, it looks like all the arguments against beat those that are for it.

Even though I love modern history, in this given situation I do believe that it'd be better if you drop it for your sake. Would it hurt if you asked your modern teacher an indication on what you're going to learn next year? Maybe the content will leave you shellshocked that you might continue with Modern> :)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Do it, and drop at end of year, maybe you will have a more rounded view of it after a years worth of it.

cccclaire

HSC
I think you should keep on with it til the end of the year.
Its only a term and a half now anyway?
And then you can see how you went in Agriculture, and decide then.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I agree with everyone else, drop it at the end of Term 3.

HSC
N/A
Yeah I think you guys are right- there's not too much left of this year anyway, only 13-ish weeks.

I'll most likely wait and see.

Oh and another pro is my teacher's cool. She gets the material across well without boring you.

emmaa10293847

HSC
drop it !
i do it, if i didnt have to do it i wouldnt !
u can concentrate better on other subjexts anyway...

HSC
N/A
Haha that was a joke. It's a humanity. It's a bit less cold brutal science. And it's not that I don't actually care about people.. much. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)