Why am i so crap!? (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Most of the time, when i read someone elses MW, i see their wording and language ability, imagery, metaphors etc and think to myself "yeah in theory i can do that... in theory."

Then when i try, it looks so shit. So then I look back at the example and think hard about why im so crap. Then i try again; still shit.

And uno that fragmented text effect u do in works that reflect pomo and stuff, i can never do that properly. dunno why.

Hey, anyone have the problem of running out of words? e.g. permeated, infused, suffused, flooded, and im out. Dunno why but when I use the same word twice within close proximity, it looks lame. And I sometimes use "complex" inappropriately, e.g. no-one would say "he stood stagnant"... u just dont use that word to describe standing. but technically it makes sense. i dunno how to describe my problem. a lack of natural language ability i guess :(

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
LOL hey we all have that problem. I get it big time when im trying to get girls to think im smart LOL
But i suppose thats why we are usually asked to do drafts isnt it? we get the chance to change the little problems that really bug you.
Dont worry, seriously, your not the only one, no, not at all!
Im probably the extension student whos got the smallest vocab, its embarassing. : )

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yes, im up to chapter "L"....

1 more post till i reach 200! woo hoo! ahaha

Giant Lobster

HSC
Nah i dont think u guys understand... its weird, like, modestly saying I reckon I have a more than adequate vocab. But none of it comes to me at the right time. U have these pros that chuck in some french and latin here and there, and although i know what they mean / how to use it, i never do. jebus. then when im reminded of one i know, if i try to use it, it sounds forced :(

bleh no1 understands my plight. woe is me :( lol

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I think I understand. Although I write something, then read it again and tear it up because I think it sounds terribly pretentious. The outcome being... I get no work done

fringey

HSC
Its amazing the type of vocab u can have when u are pressured. Give it time, relax and it will all come together. Try listening to some classical music it ALWAYS helps!

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
same prob here lobster...

i think a thesaurus helps

Giant Lobster

HSC
No, the thesaurus adds to the problem. U do it once, and think, hey that worked well
then comes a similar situation, and some more, and before uno it, ur thesaurusing every third word. In the end, if i do that, i dish out some pretty unwieldy shit.

e.g. to illustrate, ill talk out of my ass like i always do: "he continued to look upon his son and uttered a soft harmonious laughter"

he uttered a laughter? o_O well anywho...

clerisy

HSC
I have a similar problem. Except that my natural writing style is that melodramatic, overcomplicated crud that usually comes from using a thesaurus. I overdo things. I can still recall in year eight when we had a listening test english, and they provided five lines to do a 'brief summary' of the story that was read. I had to use my own paper. I wrote two pages and got quite an earbashing from my teacher about being too verbose. (I got 2/5 when my friend got full marks and didn't even fill up the given lines. I still bear a grudge...)

The same problem still exists. My short story is too melodramatic, overworded, babbly, and my goal is to spend the whole weekend rearranging it.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
You have to write like it's meant to be read, not write so it looks good.

What I try to do is find the most suitable word for a situation. One of the easiest ways to do this IMO is to 'weigh' words - don't use a word which is too heavy for the situation. If you wouldn't say it, don't use it. :)

On the other hand.. with what you're saying, Giant Lobster, you learn to use words in context if you use them a lot. Learn exactly what phrases mean (by exactly I mean go to the dictionary and find out a real definition) and pay attention to what other people SAY and where you could put those phrases. Don't say them aloud or people will think you're weird.

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
I think...that the best way to deal with this problem, is to nto consider it a problem at all!
Persuade yourself into believing its not a problem.
Just dont think of it too much. Its like when you ahve a test comming up, you stress and you stress and when your in the examination room, you stress even more!
So act like its not a problem. Force yourself to think its not, and soon, you act yourself into believing it really isnt a problem, before you know it, its gone.
Works for me.
I keep telling myself im a fucked up english student, and look where i am, last in the class!
(though...theres only two people! LOL)
Good luck anyway!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Where you're all running into problems is trying to write in a particular pomo style that you've read somewhere. You can't do this cos the whole purpose of pomo is to be totally unique and unpredictable. Don't force it--do what comes natually (Annie Oakley, eat your heart out) and then play with vocab and fragmentation.

Serpentia

Then again you also know your piece so much better, and know the integral meaning and what you were aiming for. However in reading other people's pieces, you may interpret them totally different to how they intended............ as others will do with yours..............

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
i think the best way to get through it is just to write what you can while you bloody-well can, everytime you get stuck for a word just put the word "lalaloof" or something equally as intelligent
otherwise you'll just lose the flow of it all
later on you can just look for the chosen word and do some good hard thinking then
even f you end up with a page half-filled with "lalaloof" you'll have the bare bones of it and it'll be easier to write again

santaslayer

HSC
y dont u write up ur own personal thesaurus for reference, coz u tell us that u can come up with pomo words while not pressured to write

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by fuckfoot
i think the best way to get through it is just to write what you can while you bloody-well can, everytime you get stuck for a word just put the word "lalaloof" or something equally as intelligent
otherwise you'll just lose the flow of it all
later on you can just look for the chosen word and do some good hard thinking then
even f you end up with a page half-filled with "lalaloof" you'll have the bare bones of it and it'll be easier to write again
haha thats an excellent idea, ill have to keep that in mind :)
ive just discovered 'flow' is very important when it comes to creative writing; that may sound dumb but i srsly didnt know. too used to writing critically, analytically etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)