Whose exam is German Continuers next? (1 Viewer)

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
Mine is! I'm pretty much all set to get a big fat band 6, just need to perk up my writing a bit. What's everyone else's sitch? What do you find hardest, listening, reading & comp, or writing? Personally i find writing hardest since you have to make up your answers and you have to get your grammar right, whereas the other two, the answers are there and you answer in english - absolute sinch :cool:

Farkette

HSC
now it is.

agreed on the 6 thing over here as well, but i rekon listening is the worst.
i usually lose out on the fact that i write bits of proper answers when the tape is playing, and dont stop to hear bit that i missed the first time, the second time round! Goddamn!
at least in other sections uve got aaages to read, re-read, consult the bible (dictionary) and think ur tiny brain out.

writing seems to just come to me. lol *not sounding up-myself* i seem to be able to make stuff up and be right most of the time.. i feel sorry for ppl in my class who didnt go on exchange and actually go home and learn passeges en masse and try to make responses based around them or vaguely stab in the dark, hoping its ok...

once u get the hang of german, ITS A CINCH, says I!!

plus good scaling, u cant go wrong..

*stops to prevent further sounding like an odd advertising exec*

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
lol, you seem to have summed it up nicely there. i agree that listening can be hard if you do what you said then, but like writing comes easily to you, listening comes easily to me. it was funny, i beat the top of my class in the yr 11 exam on the listening part, and he had a big b*tch about it, sooo satisfying :D.

generally with writing, i have to admit that i have a few problems with grammar, mostly. generally i am ok, but sometimes i slip up and make gigantic grammatical mistakes, which is probably also why i didnt do as well as i shouldve liked in the speaking either :eek:. my study strat at the moment is just study writing with a few listening and reading things to browse over or give a quick listen to.

otherwise, i totally agree. german is a sinch :D

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
German isn't too bad... like any language it's a practice thing. The best practice is doing an exchange, this is true. :D I also find writing comes fairly naturally to me, and speaking most of the time (although i got nervy in the hsc speaking). Listening is generally ok, ditto comprehension, it's just the little things that i miss :mad:.

Farkette

HSC
hey..

*what a co-incidence*, is this (forgot how to do italics in html from IT eek) THE mervvyn whom i met whilst on exchange in Deutschland?

LOL very unlikely it is someone else...
and that someone with a strikingly similar email addy that is permanently glued to msn messenger (yet claims 'study is a bitch' or something like that, judging from ur msn nicks') could yield the same identity as the omnipresent user in german forums on the net... hmmmmmmmm!

ps goddamn all the years of my english teacher big-word-dropping has actually sunk in and is being reflected in my everyday talk....

excuse me while i go scream into a pillow and curse thy name: ENGLISH!!!

Sezzza

Tomorrow

Hey Guys,

Tomorrow will be alright... I'm worried about extension next week! My grammar is so pathetic, but hey I'll survive. Best of luck with it!

Odourless

HSC
This is the only exam I have :D
I'm in year 11 doing year 12 german.

I think I can get band 5....probably not band 6 around mid 80's i think :)

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
niiice, you lucky person. did you like live in germany or something?
a similar thing went to a friend of mine for french last year, he was born in france and lived there until he was like 12 then came here. he got 91 for it. so lucky

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Farkette said:
hey..

*what a co-incidence*, is this (forgot how to do italics in html from IT eek) THE mervvyn whom i met whilst on exchange in Deutschland?

LOL very unlikely it is someone else...
and that someone with a strikingly similar email addy that is permanently glued to msn messenger (yet claims 'study is a bitch' or something like that, judging from ur msn nicks') could yield the same identity as the omnipresent user in german forums on the net... hmmmmmmmm!

ps goddamn all the years of my english teacher big-word-dropping has actually sunk in and is being reflected in my everyday talk....

excuse me while i go scream into a pillow and curse thy name: ENGLISH!!!
hahah, quite probably... looks like i've been sprung people, back to my hole. ;)
i must ask, to confirm my suspicions - do you like chevrolets?

bloodysunday, cos you asked: i got to do an exchange for 10 weeks at the end of year 10, living with a german family and going to school and whatnot our summer break. it was the best ever i have to say :D and i got to meet some cool people (farkette presumably being one, i'm just trying to figure out who she is now :)) and it was really good for the ol' german too.

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
oh... my... god.

i did exactly the same thing - i spent i think 9 or 10 weeks (ie the whole of term 4) at the end of year 10. i was staying with a family in bonn, where abouts were you and for what time? and yeah it was really helpful for the german, i found myself saying things half in german to my family when i got back lol. such a cool experience.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
wow, cool :D

i was in a little town called enger in NRW. I could try and describe where it is but its a pain in the arse. Its near Bielefeld if you know where that is, or about halfway between Bonn/Koln and Hamburg if you don't. :) Nice place, but somewhat rural, and i was there from mid november to the end of january. Unfortunately there was not much snow despite it being bitterly cold -11, something i was most miffed about - if you're going to walk to school, you may as well walk in the snow, right?

According to my parents, i started using german grammar on occasion during phone calls with them... lol.

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
ah, that sounds cool. yeah i was a bit dissapointed at the lack of snow, all we got in november was a lot of cold grey days often with rain, or a lot of crystal blue days without a cloud in the sky. and it was bitterly cold either way, usually only getting up to 5 at the peak of the day then dropping to -10 to -15 at night. we'd get up in the mornings and find that all the puddles everywhere had frozen :p.
did you go anywhere else besides enger? my host family took me on a week holiday the day after i got there to rottach-egern which is a small town by the lake 'tegernsee', which is a little way south of munich in bavaria. it was great there, nice mild days, the lake was crystal clear and still with an amazing backdrop of snow capped mountains... one of the most breathtaking views i've ever seen. and munich itself was fantastic, the biergartens, the churches - it was just great.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
My host family were really generous and nice to me... i got to go quite a few places - I wrote them down but it felt like i was bragging, which i'd rather not. Suffice to say, I intend to return and see everything more thoroughly without the constraint of a 10 y.o host brother. I have something of a travel bug i think, hindered only by student poverty.

The highlight was perhaps the 7 days in bonn/koln seeing the sights and delights there around xmas with my family's family. And so much chocolate with so little time. :D

Last edited:

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
hehe nice, did you go to the chocolate museum in koln? and yeah, the christmas markets are awesome, i got my family presents all from there :p
my host brother was pretty cool, he was a couple of years younger than i and he was really into soccer. we used to go down to the local soccer field (if it wasnt flooded by the rhine) and play there. he was also really funny on camera (i took my family's video camera there), when i looked at him with it he'd try to get away :p. yeah my host family was really nice too, if i ever needed anything theyd get it for me. we still talk quite often over the phone. they say that they want to come over to australia for a holiday too, which would be really cool :D

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
I think i did go to the chocolate museum - it would probably be the place where i remember getting chocolate samples and seeing big display chocolates... a choc socccer ball in milk and white chocolate *drools*.
My exchange was reciprocal, so i was lucky enough to have my host bro stay with us for 10 weeks last year. that was really good too... unfortunately our emailing has dropped off quite a bit. ah well

best of luck this arvo ppl. :cool:

Farkette

HSC
mervvyn said:
do you like chevrolets?

that is probably not a good q..

meaning that i do like any sort of classic old car, including the chevrolet, BUT its not who ur thinking of..!
my name is spelled phoenetically correct...

and lets hint that i was literally nigelated from the group on the return flight..but u may not have known/noticed that lol

ring any bells?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
HSC
Farkette said:
that is probably not a good q..

meaning that i do like any sort of classic old car, including the chevrolet, BUT its not who ur thinking of..!
my name is spelled phoenetically correct...

and lets hint that i was literally nigelated from the group on the return flight..but u may not have known/noticed that lol

ring any bells?
Eeek, it's not? Let me check my msn list...

Ok, i'm now stumped. There are two other possibilities. The fun of a detective drama, i tell you!

Ok, try no.2:

So what if invisible ink jokes aren't funny? :p

Mmm, i'll PM. I honestly can't remember.

twat*

did you people all perchance do the german exchange with AGSES at end of year 10 2002?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)