• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who's planning to go to UOW?? (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
yeah all my preferences are for UoW so i better be going.

i should probably make a thread when offers come around

something like " so who got offered into UoW??"

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I enrolled when it opened in December, gotta be really quick for some of the law electives!

kkitty56

HSC
im in!

a guy from UOW called me and offered me a place in the B Sci in 2006! totally stoked - my UAI so wasnt high enough to get in, but for some reason im in anyway! Do you think that maybe he used my HSC science results as one of the deciding factors? i also applied for early entry but didnt meet the criteria.. Eh who cares i guess! IM IN! C all of u UOWers at O week! :eek:)

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
im sure someone has already discussed this at length...but i cant be bothered checking through threads atm...

when do we get offers? and then about when does enrolment occur? im goin away for a week and i think its actually when offers come out, should i just send something before i go 2 say that i accept already? i hope my uai of 101 gets me into the course i want....

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
chinesefireball said:
I'm going - doing computer science/maths
Be careful you don't become an elitist maths student. Or an elitist computer science student. It's really important that you understand that.

dawso

HSC
poloktim said:
Be careful you don't become an elitist maths student. Or an elitist computer science student. It's really important that you understand that.

yeah....thats very true

*waves fist at elitist maths students*

uni maths is easy, dont think ur anything special...anyway, once u finish uni, its not as though u can do anything with a maths degree :p

HSC
I just read out those last two posts to my dad who is a maths professor. He gave some vague response that there is lots of things you could do with a maths degree - like a high school teacher ~shudder~

And how do you know if uni maths is easy dawso? You are only starting this year aren't you? And I'm sure I won't feel special - I'm the third one in my immediate family to do maths

And about becoming an elitist math/computer science student - why is it so important that I understand not to become one? Other then the fact it most probably lead to the loss of all my social skills.... :p

HSC
chinesefireball said:
I just read out those last two posts to my dad who is a maths professor. He gave some vague response that there is lots of things you could do with a maths degree - like a high school teacher ~shudder~
And how do you know if uni maths is easy dawso? You are only starting this year aren't you? And I'm sure I won't feel special - I'm the third one in my immediate family to do maths
And about becoming an elitist math/computer science student - why is it so important that I understand not to become one? Other then the fact it most probably lead to the loss of all my social skills.... :p
Because if you do become an elitist, in any field, people will plot your murder behind your back, and despite the fact that they may put on a front and be polite to you in person, they will wish you were dead.

dawso

HSC
chinesefireball said:

uni maths is easy, ive already done half of it in extension courses and enrichment programs....

HSC
uni maths is easy, ive already done half of it in extension courses and enrichment programs....
More or less the same - being to enrichment stuff since year 8. Out of curiosity - which ones?

The content itself may not be that hard, although the speed in which the content is covered at uni (on accounts from family members) is alot faster. Anyhow - this is all really speculation - I will put final judgement on it when I have actually done some.

Because if you do become an elitist, in any field, people will plot your murder behind your back, and despite the fact that they may put on a front and be polite to you in person, they will wish you were dead.
But why was this advice directed at me - shoudn't it be directed at everyone? poloktim?

HSC
chinesefireball said:
But why was this advice directed at me - shoudn't it be directed at everyone? poloktim?
It's something which is noticed particularly in certain groups, I think Tim was just making sure that you really understood that it was something to avoid. That said though, you're right, this is something *everyone* should be mindful of. :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
chinesefireball said:
More or less the same - being to enrichment stuff since year 8. Out of curiosity - which ones?

The content itself may not be that hard, although the speed in which the content is covered at uni (on accounts from family members) is alot faster. Anyhow - this is all really speculation - I will put final judgement on it when I have actually done some.

First year maths is easy if you did well in Maths Ext2. However, it gets alot more time consuming in 2nd year.

EDIT: your dad is a maths professor? at uow?

HSC
To be honest I'm not expecting problems with maths - extension 2 was easy enough. :D.

Yeah my dad is a math proffesor at uow - but he doesn't teach anymore (well he actually does an honours class every now then). And when I do ask him for help he starts with "thats easy....." and goes yabbering on about some other method and how he never learnt that method and that they make up thinks for the school syllabus (i.e. the "primitive function")

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
chinesefireball said:
To be honest I'm not expecting problems with maths - extension 2 was easy enough. :D.

Yeah my dad is a math proffesor at uow - but he doesn't teach anymore (well he actually does an honours class every now then). And when I do ask him for help he starts with "thats easy....." and goes yabbering on about some other method and how he never learnt that method and that they make up thinks for the school syllabus (i.e. the "primitive function")
lol, at UOW?

What's his name? My mum is also professor in maths department.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)