Who's doing Fiftieth Gate? (1 Viewer)

DC10

I was wondering if any of you have done, or are doing Fiftieth Gate.... and give any suggestion to the supp. material which is suitable for the 'non-fiction' book -

i was thinking about using Wild Swans, although it is a prescribed text for module B (though i didn't study that for module B), so i guess i can't use it for module C then....

suz

HSC
I thought i was da only 1 lol

Hey my school is doing it 2. We haven't started the assessment for the supplementary material yet but some ideas we have thought of in class include, the different political leaders views on George W. Bush, the Asia Minor Catastrophe, Pearl Harbour, the stolen generation and maybe the 1975 dismissal of Gough Whitlam. These are just some suggestions hope it helped....

keepsmiling

i thought my class were the only ones doing fiftieth gate. we are supposed to hand stuuf in this friday, but is not gonna happen. im gonna use schindlers list and the pianist and stuff i got from the jewish musseum. but i dont really know what to write. i hate this topic

Babylon

History and Memory

Hi I'm doing 50th Gate... Can anyone tell me how to approach this module, last year I tried to integrate my History Extension knowledge into it. I never got to read the book last year... skimmed through it.. talked alot about it... but never really read it.

The board of studies syllabus is sought of vague about the whole thing. Unlike ancient history topics which have dot points to cover, I can't really pin down what they want. What is exactly expected.

So far this is all I can get out of Board of Studies. I'm a little confused when approaching all this within 50th Gate.

Module C: Representation and Text
This module requires students to explore various representations of events, personalities or situations. They evaluate how medium of production, textual form, perspective and choice of language influence meaning. The study develops students understanding of the relationships between representation and meaning.
(Reread English Stage 6 Syllabus, p 52.)

Elective 3: History and Memory
In their responding and composing, students explore the relationships between individual memory and documented events. They consider the interplay of personal experience, memory and documented evidence to broaden their understanding of how history is shaped and represented.

Elective 3: History and Memory
In their responding and composing, students explore the relationships between individual memory and documented events and consider the role of personal experience and empathy in the growth of cultural knowledge.

Students choose one of the following texts as the basis of their further exploration of the representations of history.

Film
Roberto Benigni, Life is Beautiful, Roadshow, 1999

Non fiction
Mark Raphael, Baker, The Fiftieth Gate, Flamingo, 1997

In case your wondering, I'm repeating and am the only one in my grade studying King Lear and History and Memory, which were my electives last year. This year our school is doing speeches and Julias Ceasar in powerplay.

PS: This year I got the book on tape. Around 10 hours of FUN FUN FUN. I suggest it to anyone who falls asleep reading the text.

gnrlies

HSC
Yeah we are doing the 50th gate 2

Its a really weird book

i kinda got into it without knowing what it was. I mean i read it like a novel. That kinda confused me when it started jumping around everywhere....

I dont know whether i should bother reading it again...

I have some pretty good notes on it though so i should be able to get through ok...

I also went to a lecture where mark baker spoke and gave an insight to his book so i can check the notes that i made as well..

Babylon

I also went to a lecture where mark baker spoke and gave an insight to his book so i can check the notes that i made as well..

Serious... when was this lecture. Is there gonna be another one anytime soon.. and do you know where I can get some notes, there aren't any exel books or websites (including the charles sturt HSC one) that I know of that deal with 50th Gate?

Because I'm not being taught the topic, the teachers aren't letting me know of these events... I missed all the King Lear productions as well..

If you know of any upcoming events for History and Memory, or King Lear could you please let me know.

thanx

gnrlies

HSC
Originally posted by Babylon

Serious... when was this lecture. Is there gonna be another one anytime soon.. and do you know where I can get some notes, there aren't any exel books or websites (including the charles sturt HSC one) that I know of that deal with 50th Gate?

Because I'm not being taught the topic, the teachers aren't letting me know of these events... I missed all the King Lear productions as well..

If you know of any upcoming events for History and Memory, or King Lear could you please let me know.

thanx
i dont know of when there are any more lectures unfortunately...

DC10

actually there are a few sites on the net that deals wth Fiftieth gate but nothing too significant, o well, i guess this one goes down to how well the student writes and how well the teacher teaches :mad1: :apig:

my teacher talked about the multiplicity of the text types in the book, like narrative, recount, historical report etc.

regarding supp. material would novels like Sally Morgan's My Place or Jung Chang's Wild Swans (also can be used for module B text) be good?

BuBBleZ :)

Heyy... i can't believe there are ppl actually doing 5oth Gate besides our skool...lol...umm well lemme c ...we talked bout how it was a change in da writing genre as 'normal" history books don't have that much in regards with personal life...like it doesn't show the emotional side of stuff...iz all factual...MB also shows how he gathers the info *when hez flicking thru da stuff at library* dis shows the techniques used by historians which is not usually portrayd in history books....umm....at else....oh yeah since itz talkn bout story of mother hu's history is not well known it is Postmodern as itz showin the "marjinalised"...
hmm i can't think of ne more
but yeah if i do i'll cum back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)