Who's afraid of the big scary law degree? (1 Viewer)

circusmind

HSC
If you don't want to be a lawyer then you shouldn't be studying law.

If you won't want to spend your career remembering legislation off by heart, or cases off by heart, then you shouldn't be studying law.

Because that's what you do in law.
Shit, really?

Well, I best quit immediately. What a lot of silliness that last 3yrs has been.

:rolleyes:

Reckoner

HSC
Shit, really?

Well, I best quit immediately. What a lot of silliness that last 3yrs has been.

:rolleyes:
I think you should quit.

I did comm/law for 4 years, and realized that the law degree was a waste of time and money and should have just quit earlier and did straight commerce.
Would have earnt the same, if not more.
Would have been out of uni earlier and gained some experienced earlier.

Last edited:

circusmind

HSC
I think you should quit.

I did comm/law for 4 years, and realized that the law degree was a waste of time and money and should have just quit earlier and did straight commerce.
Would have earnt the same, if not more.
Would have been out of uni earlier and gained some experienced earlier.
If law was just 'dressing' for your commerce degree, and you only intend on going into business, then yes. I don't intend on practicing, but I don't think my law degree is useless or a waste of time. If anything, it's that pesky B.A....

Reckoner

HSC
If law was just 'dressing' for your commerce degree, and you only intend on going into business, then yes. I don't intend on practicing, but I don't think my law degree is useless or a waste of time. If anything, it's that pesky B.A....

Well then, in that case ... i think maybe you should stay in BA/LLB.
B.A degrees are quite hard to market in a commercial sense.
I remember taking a philosophy class on epistomology in the summer and thinking ... "you know what ... I could just read this stuff on my own and think about it myself ... rather than getting a degree for it"

I should have just went and did commerce straight ... and maybe tried for honors ... 3 or 4 years

most of my friends who did BA/LLB either ended up being;
i. lawyers
ii. journalists
iii. working for the government (ACCC, judge's assistant/clerk, regulators, policy making functions in parliament etc etc)

some have managed to do well in law getting to higher levels near the partnership rung, and then switching over to banking at partnership level due to their M&A background but this is not common.

Good luck with it, you'll need it b/c law is gruelling. Reading all those cases and legislation ... I became short sighted b/c of law and bought reading glasses for the first time in my life.

All the best.

Last edited:

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
I'm first year at UWS, LLB/BA, and the first semester we are doing Intro to Law (case, legislation research and stuff) and Torts. And Torts has only 2 exams, that's it, analysing cases. Whereas Intro to Law we had to do a group research task, then followed by a letter of advice, then a case note, then an exam.
Some senior students said we are not supposed to follow this curriculum, that we should do Law Foundation and Intro in the first year, then do all the other stuff.
Now I kind of appreciate the fact we are already in Torts, because it makes my first semester less dry.
And if I get a transfer to UTS or Macquarie, I will get an exemption for the 2 units I've done, no more Torts to torture me.

Ginny11

HSC
Hey law ppl's can I have some advice?
First year Law/Arts student, only did the intro law unit this semester which i failed 1 of 2 assignments and 99% sure i failed my exam....is this setting the scene for my entire law degree? fail, fail, fail, occassional pass?
Should i just drop the law part???!!!!????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)