Whodunit? (1 Viewer)

epchois_nai_nan

HSC
Hi guys, this is my first post :D

Anyways I have an assignment where I have to discuss the evolution of the 'whodunit' subgenre throughout the last century and a half, but I'm having trouble choosing my texts because I can't pin down exactly what defines a 'whodunit'.

The thing that really confused me is that some of the suggested texts included 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue', 'Minority Report' and 'Rear Window' - which don't really seem to fit with my conception of the 'whodunit', which was more like Poirot and 'Murder She Wrote', where there is a distinct set of suspects, all equally likely to have committed the murder...

Can anybody help me get a better feel for exactly what constitutes a 'whodunit'?

Thanks in advance,

philphie

Banned
HSC
whodunit is a very generalised term in crime fiction basically any story that outlines its suspects is one. what prescribed text are you doing? if you're doing skull beneath the skin that is a typical whodunit.

man after a year of doing that everytime i read whounit it still sounds like hood unit to me

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
The sub-genre of "Whodunnit" basically deals with a murder mystery confined within an enclosed area, such as a manor house or country town and with a limited number of suspects all arrayed in the one place. Essentially "Whoddunit" tells a sinister story of betrayal from within, as the suspects are all of the same social class as the murdered person, and are close associates of the victim. A "Whoddunit" mystery ends with what is known as a "denouement" where in a confined space (ie, the living room or dining hall of a country manor) the detective reveals the identity of the murderer among the suspects gathered together within the one place.

Poe's works are good for starters, as he was the real pioneer of crime fiction short stories, but you need to look into Agatha Christie's works, as she was the single one author underpinning the evolution of crime during the 1920's "Golden Age" period, and subsequently brought forward the "Whodunit" murders onto the world stage

proletariat

HSC
^.

A Whodunnit requires a crime, criminal, and someone solving the crime (detective-- like sherlock holmes, or not-- like poirot (he is not a detective as he is belgian)).

A denounment scene is not necessary as you will find in many sherlock holmes stories e.g. Sign of Four. Denounment scenes are typical in cosy crime.

Whodunnit expresses themes and values such as deduction, rational thinking, justice, and identity (of the criminal, other characters, etc.). Modern whodunnits focus on motive, such as Skull beneath the Skin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)