Who thinks they will use RET (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm pretty sure law went up by 2 a couple of years ago.
Which uni's law?

And I doubt USyd law will ever be 99.95, because given there are only 60 or so people 99.95+, I doubt that more than 15 or so of them would want to do law, I could be wrong though.

K

katie_tully

what is this "RET" that i hear about?
i get extra points on my UAI for being a bushie, and for riding a kangaroo to school everyday.

do ret's help if you fuck ur HSC up? like my cousin who wanted law/economics and got a UAI of 64..?

addict

'Specal' Member
HSC
withoutaface, really, do you need to be so cocky? you are really giving me the shits. sure, congrats are due for your amazing mark, but please down go around on here flaunting it to those of us who didn't do as well as they were hoping. i have great respect for the effort you put into the results you got, but i have no respect for the way you are acting about it.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
katie_tully said:
what is this "RET" that i hear about?
i get extra points on my UAI for being a bushie, and for riding a kangaroo to school everyday.

do ret's help if you fuck ur HSC up? like my cousin who wanted law/economics and got a UAI of 64..?
Okay, this is how ret works.

You sit a STAT written english and multiple choice exam created by UAC (which i'll just refer to now as RET). Then, they take all the results people got in RET and rank them. You then get a number based on your percentile (like a UAI).

So, if you want to do a course at UWS and are at most 10 UAI points off the 2004 cut-off (2005 for next year), the University will take your RET result as your UAI and then see if you are offered a place based on that.

Example. Someone who got 85 in RET, 61 in UAI, and wanted to enter a course with a cut off of 68 in 2004.

This person is in the range to use ret as their UAI, so, RET will be used as their UAI and it is as if they achieved 85.

Make sense?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
Yeah if they are in the 90's, becasue not that many people get a UAI above 90. My courses cutoff has gone from 67 in 2002 to 77 in 2004. U may not need help in getting to a course becuase u got a good UAI, but not everybody does get a UAI in the 90's, so RET is helpful to them
I'm not saying it's not helpful for them, and I can see how it would be. I was merely answering the question posed by this thread, and giving reasons for it.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well i'm in UWS's catchment. i wish i lived somewhere in the catchment of UNSW. *packs bags and gets ready to move*

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
getting back on topic..
no i will not be using ret as my score was 73 and my uai was 86.1
i only really wanted to use it as a backup if i got a uai of around 75-80 (and i had a got ret score) to get into what i want to do (and the courses have been cancelled now anyway) but hopefully ill be going to sydney or mac next yr

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
my aim is to apply for UNSW RET test that doesn't exist

= Jennifer =

HSC
what i dont understand is universities keep complaining that there is not enough room for all the students why offer the RET test for? (and yes i do understand it is like a second chance )

K

katie_tully

my cous went to xavier... thats in penrith...so she may have sat it...

S

Shuter

Will_Sparky said:
Example. Someone who got 85 in RET, 61 in UAI, and wanted to enter a course with a cut off of 68 in 2004.

This person is in the range to use ret as their UAI, so, RET will be used as their UAI and it is as if they achieved 85.
No it won't, there is a maximum of 10 bonus points, so it would be treated as if they had a UAI of 71.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Shuter said:
No it won't, there is a maximum of 10 bonus points, so it would be treated as if they had a UAI of 71.
Are you sure? You need to be within 10 points of the cut-off to use your RET score as your UAI... I'm sure thats right.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Na my RET was 73 and my UAI is 82.90 so it was a waste of money.
I created a thread like this so im not sure who was first

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
the question has been answered in the first page of the thread. read it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)