Who plans to continue doing maths at uni? (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
If I get into UNSW arts/med then math will probably be an extracurricular pursuit for me (unless they were to allow me do some in the arts component).

If I don't then my next preference would probably be adv. science at sydney where I would hope to major in mathematics along with physiology or immunology (and with a smattering of philosophy).

SeDaTeD

HSC
Sepulchres said:
I want to get into Adv Science at USyd majoring in Adv. Maths but only 10 people get into it =\ So I guess not.
Actually, I've counted at least 12 people doing my course, and a few didn't even make the uai cutoff (98.8). Thats for the actual BSc (adv maths) stream, doing Adv sci allows you to choose to major in whatever, including maths.

serge

HSC
maths at uni?
I wouldn't do that straight,
(just for job prospect reasons)

statistical maths or something in physics/ engineering
would be more useful, i think anyway

plus, my dad has a phD in maths and he says
in the real world, its practically useless...

serge

HSC
100percent said:
i see alot of people going unsw for engineering
engineering at unsw > engineering at usyd?
what are your thoughts?
yeh,

its cause unsw has a better faculty for engineering
i think its the same with commerce

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
Originally Posted by 100percent
i see alot of people going unsw for engineering
engineering at unsw > engineering at usyd?
what are your thoughts?
yea i think you'll find the UNSW Faculty of Engineering as one of the best, if not the best, in the country. (and certainly > USYD Eng.)

Originally Posted by KFunk
If I get into UNSW arts/med then math will probably be an extracurricular pursuit for me (unless they were to allow me do some in the arts component).
if you wanted to pursue mathematical science with your MBBS, then why not consider the MBBS/BMedSc at USYD? the maths component would probably fit in the BMedSc more suitably than it would a BA.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
who_loves_maths said:
if you wanted to pursue mathematical science with your MBBS, then why not consider the MBBS/BMedSc at USYD? the maths component would probably fit in the BMedSc more suitably than it would a BA.
Why do a BMedSc for maths when you can do a BSc MBBS at USyd? BMedSc has almost no flexibility.

However, it's a bit late for that, and the fact the course requires a 99.95 or 100.

Anyway, back to topic. Currently looking at majoring in pure at USyd.

Antwan23q

God
HSC
I'm gonna be doing medical radiation physics at university of Wollongong. It sorta has maths in it...

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
Originally Posted by Templar
Why do a BMedSc for maths when you can do a BSc MBBS at USyd? BMedSc has almost no flexibility.
However, it's a bit late for that, and the fact the course requires a 99.95 or 100.
^ yes, that's also what i meant about the USYD course - the BSc as well... just forgot you could take that too.

Originally Posted by antwan2bu
I'm gonna be doing medical radiation physics at university of Wollongong. It sorta has maths in it...
of course it does! that's a no brainer... any phrase or subject containing the word "Physics", as long as it is not preceeded by the acronym "HSC", carries with it the connotation of the involvement of mathematics.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
serge said:
plus, my dad has a phD in maths and he says
in the real world, its practically useless...
Although i dont agree with that, I personally am not doing a maths degree to get a job, and I'm sure many of the others on here arent either, that's what my comp sci degree will be for.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
sikeveo said:
You change your mind every 10mins Templar.
Not really. I was always going to get my maths major first. MBBS comes after the BSc.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
who_loves_maths said:
Heh, you can fit far more mathematics into a BA than a USyd BMedSc. Besides, the chances of me getting 99.95+ are close to zero, especially considering the number of stupid arithemetic errors I made on the ext. 1 paper.

Raginsheep

HSC
acmilan said:
Although i dont agree with that, I personally am not doing a maths degree to get a job, and I'm sure many of the others on here arent either, that's what my comp sci degree will be for.
From what I've been told, while the maths might not be directly applicable, its more of the quantative skills that you gain specifically from the degree that is most attractive to employers.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Kfunk: you can fit 24 points in BA/MBBS at UNSW.
Templar: that's definitely the preferable route. heh but I can't even take 4 months of waiting let alone 4/5 years. You're lucky you want to do maths before med, not somethign else... if I were to do English, another language, or Music in a BA the chances of me keeping a HD average aren't too good.

casebash

HSC
10 people get into BSc(Advanced maths)???? But the cut-off is only 98.8 - does it have aditional selection criteria. Thats my first preference, but my uai waslike 97 something at last estimate. I'm relying on my olympiad involvement to get me through - but since I made the informatics team not IMO team i'm unsure if it will be enough.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I think the quotas are a load of crap. You can just do B sc(adv) and major in maths. Casebash have you considered the PhB at ANU? They let ppl into that with olympiad experience with uais as *low*(in the context of courses which require high marks) as 97 .

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Estel said:
Kfunk: you can fit 24 points in BA/MBBS at UNSW.
Goodo, I was hoping that would be the case. I was thinking that I could just teach myself the first year stuff (given that I would have two years to do so) and then ask if I could start with some higher level units. Mind you, this is in my fantasy future where I actually get into the course in the first place.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
casebash said:
10 people get into BSc(Advanced maths)???? But the cut-off is only 98.8 - does it have aditional selection criteria. Thats my first preference, but my uai waslike 97 something at last estimate. I'm relying on my olympiad involvement to get me through - but since I made the informatics team not IMO team i'm unsure if it will be enough.
No additional criteria, but there is flexible entry for people who've done stuff like olympiads.
And btw, my understanding is that BSc(Adv) is exactly the same except there is no guaranteed entry into SSP, which you can get into anyway with 95+ in 4U maths/olympiad involvement.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
There is no difference between BSc (Adv Maths) and BSc (Adv) apart from guaranteed place in ssp, which for this semester is a load of bullshit anyway.

ANU has let people with olympiad experience and UAI lower than 90 to do PhB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)