who is absolutely sick of english? (1 Viewer)

sleepy

Originally posted by mannnnndy

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENGLISH IS OVER FOREVER!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
hahahahah dats wat i've been yelling the whole day after the exams!!!!!! everyone thought i went nuts haahahhah and i've lost my voice too!!

oh well got a few days to recover b4 maths... i got 20 papers to do still: all the HSC ones..... big sigh

hmmm mite take a nap now...:eek:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by McLake

No, I was just for that post that it was relevent.
Not quite... I'm talking about in general, like should I make the effort or sometihng. The face is deathly pale..
----
BoS likes to shrink their timetables, therefore 4u maths is placecd at the same time as 2u (they won't conflict. ever.) They prefer to screw the 4u ppl instead of the 2u ppl.:rolleyes:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
yep, i reckon maths won this argument:D
thats probably because youre in the ext2 maths forum, where most people are not so good at english ... i reckon you would find the reverse happen in the ext2 english forum ...

kate

lol. happens quite frequently :p
hey, im good at reading maps tho. lol.
might have even attempted ext2 if our school ran it...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
my school didn't run 4 unit but I still did it.

In light of this thread I would say that english should be made compulsory but shouldn't have to count as part of the calculation of your UAI.

I never liked english but having done the HSC I started to realise that all that analyzing actually does do some good, i mean your perspective on what you read and see changes, and you can find more meaning in something and understand things better.

kate

lol. yes
i probabaly could have done it if id really wanted to
at the end of year 10 tho, i thought maths ext2 was like some excruciatingly (spelling) difficult language or something to be attempted only by geniuses.

i agree about the english tho. fair enough, make students do it but its a bit unfair to some by making it count towards uais.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
other arguments of the english-maths problems with the syllabus ... just look around the forum ... and you'll find countless pages of whinging and whining by me ... of course, i dont have the heart to complain or whine anymore ...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
haha flyin'...perhaps I just deliberately avoid those threads...because I have never heard you whine about english-maths related things...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Weisy
haha flyin'...perhaps I just deliberately avoid those threads...because I have never heard you whine about english-maths related things...
everyone does, it's perfectly normal

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Weisy
look in physics exam for hsc ... somewhere in maths ... and other places ...

this is where i use to get most of my discontentness out of my system ...

braintic

HSC
N/A
Opinion considered, but where is beauty in maths? Where is justice? Where is free will? Where is there any significant meaning besides the essential calculation of numbers?
I thought I'd resurrect this comment (from page 5 of this thread).
I want to see what people would say to counteract this type of thinking.
How are people like this who are clearly very intelligent in other respects somehow missing the deeper meaning and beauty of mathematics?

(For me, although I don't see beauty in Shakespeare, I at least see how others might see that. Analysing it though in minute detail - I've never seen the point in that or why people might find it even mildly interesting)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I thought I'd resurrect this comment (from page 5 of this thread).
I want to see what people would say to counteract this type of thinking.
How are people like this who are clearly very intelligent in other respects somehow missing the deeper meaning and beauty of mathematics?
Well a lot of high school maths is very tedious or repetitive (e.g. some people hate exercises on using quadratic formula or factorising things etc.), so most people don't see the beauty in maths, due to its nature in high school maths class. There is a good article about this here: https://www.maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf . (It's written based on American maths education, but some of it may apply here too.)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Due to the nature of school maths education, the general populace seem to have no clue what maths is. They probably think it's just about doing multiplication and addition, so no wonder they see no beauty in it. For example, in that Project video with the Australian student who helped come up with the "Liang-Zelich Theorem", one of the hosts was asking things like "what's 7 times 5" (or some other multiplication) to him. I guess it was intended to make the audience laugh, but still, most laypeople probably think this is what maths is all about.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Due to the nature of school maths education, the general populace seem to have no clue what maths is. They probably think it's just about doing multiplication and addition, so no wonder they see no beauty in it. For example, in that Project video with the Australian student who helped come up with the "Liang-Zelich Theorem", one of the hosts was asking things like "what's 7 times 5" (or some other multiplication) to him. I guess it was intended to make the audience laugh, but still, most laypeople probably think this is what maths is all about.
This is why I want Olympiad to be mandatory.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I would love to have olympiad compulsory, and taught from the start of high school. Only now do i realise how beautiful olympiad is, but there's no point learning as theres people that have been doing it since year 7 and you cant compete against them, plus i've ran out of time to compete

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)