who is absolutely sick of english? (1 Viewer)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
"Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics." - G. H. Hardy

Zohal99

HSC
Personally, I think that a level of mathematics and english is important in life. Why?
Maths: Develops problem -solving skills and logic
English: Develops critical thinking skills and is meant to allow you to express your opinion.

The problem: The Advanced English course sucks! It does not teach you to have your own opinion that is backed up by evidence and expressed clearly, rather it forces you to utilise a strict structure and write for the sake of marks and an atar. I get that it is counted towards atar because it is the one subject that everyone has in common ... but it really disadvantages those who can't place themselves in that stupid box Adv. English seems to want.

Also Extension English 1 is so much better at doing what adv is meant to do... the only thing is that obviously the degree of difficulty is a lot higher.

Also without critical thinking skills if someone asked us why we like a certain movie the answer would be "It was good. The characters were good. I didn't really pay attention to the script. I just watched it. ' - we would all be mindless zombies who would correctly answer a math question but not know why we did what we did. (Generalisation but still)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Personally, I think that a level of mathematics and english is important in life. Why?
Maths: Develops problem -solving skills and logic
English: Develops critical thinking skills and is meant to allow you to express your opinion.

The problem: The Advanced English course sucks! It does not teach you to have your own opinion that is backed up by evidence and expressed clearly, rather it forces you to utilise a strict structure and write for the sake of marks and an atar. I get that it is counted towards atar because it is the one subject that everyone has in common ... but it really disadvantages those who can't place themselves in that stupid box Adv. English seems to want.

Also Extension English 1 is so much better at doing what adv is meant to do... the only thing is that obviously the degree of difficulty is a lot higher.

Also without critical thinking skills if someone asked us why we like a certain movie the answer would be "It was good. The characters were good. I didn't really pay attention to the script. I just watched it. ' - we would all be mindless zombies who would correctly answer a math question but not know why we did what we did. (Generalisation but still)
Philosophy does the job better. And it requires less context in order to actually construct an opinion.

Silky_Smooth

HSC
i just want to know who is just completely fed up with english? i mean it is the most useless subject. i know were sposed 2 know how 2 communicate and stuff but what use is reading long boring stuff like shakespeare where u lose the plot after the first sentance (even though they go on for 10 pages). i mean seriously how is this relevent in any way 2 real life???:confused: :confused: :p :confused: :confused:
It's not a useless subject in your situation...

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
If they made the IMO compulsory I would've ******* died.

Anything else isn't Olympiad to me anymore. E.g. that thing I did in Yr5-Yr8 was a joke

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
People can say what they want about English teaching you techniques and stuff... but I think the Education system has the priorities wrong. First, teach students to actually talk English properly!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)