• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who here has taken a gap yr B4?? (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Hi guys, just wondering, who here has actually taken a gap yr to delay their course selection? Share your experiences;) Do you recommend it for people who unsure of their uni course selections?( lol, which includes myself and perhaps others )

sefina

HSC
N/A
I'm an international student and I'm on my gap year now. For me, it was because I had wanted to study too many subjects in Uni and I just could not decide on my major. Other factors were do I want to go to Australia or Canada or stay in Singapore (which has strong universities), what university should I choose after I decide on the country, and what uni is best for the kinds of studies I want to pursue.

After speaking to too many people, I found seemingly the perfect course which allows me to take as many of the subjects I've wanted to explore.

Better to weigh all your options than jump in and regretting your choice later. This gap year has definitely been fruitful to me! Plus, I've been working as a journalist here, and I've gained very useful experiences and contacts - and I feel I'm better prepared for university now.

that bloke

HSC
I didn't do a gap year, did a year of commerce for lack of a better idea. It was rubbish. Dropped out having wasted a years worth of fees and fucking around. Went back to uni couple years later and am studying marine science and some other stuff which is going lovely.
Take the gap year if you dont know what you want to do. Work a bit, travel a bit, take a look around.

VuongstER_boi

HSC
sefina said:
I'm an international student and I'm on my gap year now. For me, it was because I had wanted to study too many subjects in Uni and I just could not decide on my major. Other factors were do I want to go to Australia or Canada or stay in Singapore (which has strong universities), what university should I choose after I decide on the country, and what uni is best for the kinds of studies I want to pursue.

After speaking to too many people, I found seemingly the perfect course which allows me to take as many of the subjects I've wanted to explore.

Better to weigh all your options than jump in and regretting your choice later. This gap year has definitely been fruitful to me! Plus, I've been working as a journalist here, and I've gained very useful experiences and contacts - and I feel I'm better prepared for university now.
Hey Sefina,
Yeah....thereason I feel the need for a gap yr is because....I don't feel like like i'm equipped with enough life-experience to know what I want to do in life and hence make a wise decision for my future. Therefore, ..I feel the need to explore around and get some experiences of all sorts. If I were to decide to soon, imy course decision would probably be the result of "lack of a better idea" ( as 'that bloke' has stated lolz).

Just wondering, what other sort of specific things can people generally do in gap years? The only possibilities I could think of are...Working and travelling around the world. However, do you know if there are any sort of ....list of programs that can be undertaken in a gap yr ( a site?)Working I know is one preoccupation people can do..but Im interested to know if there is a variety of other life-experinece things that could be undertaken?(Travel programs....etc) I mean, who wants to waste a whole yr doing nothing. I just hope I don't lose movitation to go to uni if i do undertake a gap yr -_-' :uhoh:( which is one of my concerns).

VuongstER_boi

HSC
that bloke said:
I didn't do a gap year, did a year of commerce for lack of a better idea. It was rubbish. Dropped out having wasted a years worth of fees and fucking around. Went back to uni couple years later and am studying marine science and some other stuff which is going lovely.
Take the gap year if you dont know what you want to do. Work a bit, travel a bit, take a look around.
Hey ..'that bloke' lol,
Yeah, Commerce is actually one of my .."lack of a better idea" choices....lol and I still gotta do some more research on it . Hey um.. don't you pay the amount that you have completed at uni ( ie You shouldn't have had to waste your money on the entire course , including part of it that you didn't complete )?. Also, I'm guessing you took a few yrs as a sort of....time to discover myself time yea? How did you land on marine science =)?

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
You could always go to uni, discover yourself, meet heaps of interesting new people, etc. Then travel during your massively long holidays...

that bloke

HSC
Yeah didn't have to pay for the whole 3 year course, but still cost many thousands to do that one year.
Hmm you could say i was "discovering myself", but it probably wasn't anything quite so profound as that. Was more so just giving myself a bit of time to figure out what really makes me tick. I'd say that i have changed more and gotten a better grasp on who i am these last couple years at uni actually.
Got to Marine Science basically by just sticking to what i love, which is the water. Was considering engineering, going into my old man's business, but ultimately none of that raised the slightest bit of excitement really. MS is a somewhat crowded industry, so i'm also studying business enterprise, have been teaching myself french the last year, started working on Japanese also, am in the process of becoming a certified scuba instructor, and certified scientific/commercial diver. Adding as many different bows to my quiver as possible so to speak.

that bloke

HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
Hey Sefina,
but Im interested to know if there is a variety of other life-experinece things that could be undertaken?(Travel programs....etc) I mean, who wants to waste a whole yr doing nothing. I just hope I don't lose movitation to go to uni if i do undertake a gap yr -_-' :uhoh:( which is one of my concerns).
There are a number of travel programs involving helping out in impoverished communities all over the world, from South America, SE Asia, the Carribean etc that may provide you with a far more fulfilling experience then just hopping about the planet and getting wasted (though this should definately done at some point). There are also those Camp America programs where you stay at a campsite as a Mentor for disadvantaged yank kids and basically have good fun with them every day and try and set them on a good path.
Also, I wouldn't be too worried about losing the motivation to go to uni if you believe you can find a path that will take you through there. University life is another one of those brilliant life experiences that should not be ignored if you have the opportunity. What's 3 or 4 years at uni amongst potentially 40-50 years of actually working?? The range of people you meet there are amazing, the lifestyle is laid-back, cruisey, boozey and fun as fuck, whether you be studying law, engineering or graphic design.

Пaтpик

HSC
Have a gap year in the armed forces, thats what i'm thinking of doing!

old.skool.kid

HSC
Yeah i was gunna have a gap year, but im not so sure now.. It seems that everyone here just goes straight onto uni.

I was planning on working and mabye some travelling, but i dont wanna stay in my town for another year, its such a hole and there's no beach for 4 hours!

GinoIs

HSC
3Months holiday before uni is more than enough.
A friend from h/s took a gap year - promising to go to uni afterward (2009). Not going to uni next year - Doesn't really surprise us as well - Smart kid (OP2 ~ UAI97)

Point is. Putting it off and doing fuck all becomes an easy trend and hard to get out of. In my example, the problem was that there was soo much that he wanted to do and it came to him doing nothing.

If you know what you're going to be doing during the 12months of gap-year - Then go chase it - but If you're not 100% sure - do uni or else you'll waste a year, and having just been out of school for a bit over a year - It goes by VERY quick!

that bloke

HSC
GinoIs said:
3Months holiday before uni is more than enough.
A friend from h/s took a gap year - promising to go to uni afterward (2009). Not going to uni next year - Doesn't really surprise us as well - Smart kid (OP2 ~ UAI97)

Point is. Putting it off and doing fuck all becomes an easy trend and hard to get out of.
Sure, if you suck at life and lack the ability to motivate yourself to do something with it.

GinoIs

HSC
that bloke said:
Sure, if you suck at life and lack the ability to motivate yourself to do something with it.
Seems like the OP is the same. a whole year thinking about what degree to do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)