Who here does japanese through OHS? (1 Viewer)

snoopy05

HSC
me, i do jpnse extention,
ahh! its hard just like what i expected!

anyone else doing extention through OHS?

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
yep i did it

i dont like their marking scheme!!! my teacher loved my homework coz of my original ideas and their depth in content and thought, and i also wrote things of the same thought involved for the exams, yet they downgraded me! continually marked me down! my teacher even said that they mark differently to the HSC (which is very dodgy)

but guess what! i got 47/50 for the actual HSC exam as opposed to the low assessment marks of mid 30's, and only ranking 19/30! the assessment marks dragged me down!! i cried when i saw 47!!! but yea, overall i got 45/50. *the OHS teacher sent me an Xmas card congratulating on my result!! =) * (yea i know teachers pet...)

OHS is good... it teaches you how to manage all your own lessons, self study, and makes u more responsible for your workload. just make sure you get your homework done on time...i mean u gotta love ur language of study if ur going to OHS. I loved it. I recommend absolutely everyone to do it coz it shows that just bc ur school doesnt offer it, u can always do it at OHS. but most schools have a quota on the number of students who can go to OHS.

My stupid principal told me to forget about doing Jap ext, and just do Jap cont, but thats simply a waste of time srsly! I asked my jap teacher what i should do coz i badly wanted to do Jap Ext.. so she recommended OHS... and I applied for it myself.. in fact i was the first student from my school to go to OHS. How grand. First person to truly rebel against the principal's suggestion! =p!! NERRRR!!

nihongo ga daisuki yo ne~~~~~~~~~~~

no not that hard. challenging, but of course it has to be.. it's EXT! Gotaifumanzoku is a good read though...

snoopy05

HSC
wow TT TT. you'r my inspiration
im also first one from my school to do ext from OHS

yea the work gets kinda hard.
how do you study japanese? only from the texts they giv you?

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
wow i'm an inspiratoin for somebody!! *greatly touched* hahae!

i do admit though, i did feel pretty lonelybeing the only one doing Jap Ext through OHS. bUt you learn to love it.

i study japanese.. by um... thinking in japanese...sometimes they're full/fragmented sentences or just a simple phrase like souka
i read the dictionary and write out interesting phrases.. Kodansha's furigana is excellent! i will never sell mine..even for $500... but its just so heavy.. ah! my bible!
write and listen to vocab, texts.. listen to the music.. read anything japanese even if its only a recognized kanji
watching anime helps... i felt like i understood 1/3 of the jap used! (well subtitles obviously help a lot!!) =)
i write my diary in jap too.

but for jap ext exactly.. well Think Think Think... jap ext is really rewarding if u do well in English...i got good marks in Advanced so yea. but um... yea there isnt any guides out there is there? so there's heaps of opportunities for u to be completely original. learn your text well!!! try to read it more than once, but if you cant, keep on relating the issues discussed to yourself and tell your teacher that.. she/he will give you further suggestions which are truly invaluable.

write essays ..all the past papers help. and broaden out from what they ask you. i'm telling you, it's really easy to perfect the first issue.. that technology one.. its easy peasy japanesey!! LoL!

erm... post some more Q's here related tot he text, and i'll you some thoughts filled with bs but may which also help you gain marks. i never actually wrote that much extra essays for the teacher to mark, but i always did the homework. and even if i didnt complete it properly, i thought about the Q's heaps and so that broadened out my mind.

You must be able to talk about disabilities and Ototake's success.... draw connection here and there... =)

snoopy05, ganbatte kudasai!

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
oh yea, always attend the lessons there... they give you alright notes too.

what do you think is your weakness so far in the jap cont course? i wanted to ask about jap ext, but realized it hasnt' really started yet for u.

the OHS assessment weightings are outrageous though. 40% and 60%!!!

snoopy05

HSC
nah, i started my japanese ext already,

and yea, i agree, its necessary to be good in english to be good in japanese, cus they're basically linguistic skills, and my marks in english are low +_+.
i did the essays, i found my self keep on using the same structures over and over again,
its a good thing that it doesnt get counted, and that i can improve when the time comes :) phew,

and u know how the questions asks u to write your opinions on technologies and stuff,..
how are we meant to know the vocabularies? are we supposed to look in the dictionary all the time ?

like also, we really havnt covered many of the structures used in jpnse extention in japanese continuers u see, i studied more than my class, with kodansha's verbs and adjectives, so i have ideas on what they'r on about, if u know what i mean, (my japanese class is very late, 8 people in the class only).
its like they're asking high leveled question, and we're meant to answer it back with low grammars ? but its all good, i think its possible for it.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
u started already? like one week max right? they sent you the entire package eh? oh it scared me... it was like japanese everywhere!! except the folder... *shows the world her folder*

anyhow... there's barely any new structures you learn in Jap Ext... well perhaps its bc my Jap Cont teacher at school gave us every single strucutre in the Wakatta textbook so i felt like it wasn't very difficult. The most impoirtant structure you learn in Jap Ext would be passive.. and boy does it impress the marker when you use it in CONT!! nobody knows what your talking about.. except the teacher! =p

Yeah i felt like i'm degrading the topic when i wrote about it in such simple sentences. But what i did was think think think, like i said, and so then whatever i wrote was in depth. but don't get in the trap i did.. using overly long sentences with tonnes of structures. sometimes it works. othertimes its best to create the same deepness and thoughtfulness through short concise sentences. Don't confuse the marker! balance is the key, really. Look, the people at BOS don't expect you to write like a native, they really dont. Look at the standard packages. Their top band cut offs ARE achievable.

Just simply have an original idea with each and every unpredictable question. and you gotta remember that all the questions are related to the issue, therefore they're all inter-related so its somewhat easier in that sense to think of something just on the spot. The most important thing, is to create A PIECE of writing where your eloquence should really reflect a highly sophisticated and original way of thinking. i think too much, so it was sometimes hard for me to write down everything i wanted to say.. the more i wrote, the more complex and deeper it got... but yea... it definitely wasn't shallow stuff for sure!

yes, there's also no prescibed vocabulary list or whatever, unlike Cont, which also worried me. But you know what, they don't really care. OHS gives you pink, blue and green booklet... and just prior to the trials, you would've known every single word... as well as your own useful vocabulary... its not that hard if u use it a lot in ur essays, speeches, conversations and answers generally.

i didn't memorise the new vocab from the prescribed text.. i simply rewrote it and got the most important meaning through it, recognised the kanji and new words by contextualising it and relating it to the issue.

Jap Cont ha Ext to kurabete, hontou ni motto muzukashii ne!

snoopy05

HSC
lol i guess ur just like me?
who did u have as your teacher?

i got Ms marlyn Egan. how many teachers are there? and is she good? and or sexy? lol her voice doesnt convince me though, hahahaha

she called me today morning, and i got freaked out , *oh shit, what's she up to this time?? noOO~~ *
but she was only checkin on my progress :) and since i know that im ahead, i manage to calm me self down, phew! hehehe

AlysonD

HSC
I'm doing Continuers because my school doesn't run Japanese anymore...

snoopy05

HSC
AlysonD said:
I'm doing Continuers because my school doesn't run Japanese anymore...
aww,.. thats bad!

our japanese continuers class, consists of only 6 people right now!
3 are bludgers, 3*tries

and our class is making such a slow progress... grr!!

AlysonD

HSC
Yeah. Last year there were only 9 people in my Yr 10 Japanese class - we started yr 9 with 14 and 5 dropped it. no wonder it doesn't run!

k_i_mm_i

HSC
we only had 4 ppl in our continuers...(1 never comes, another is ALWYAS late),..and only 3 in extension (1 always late) - always

snoopy05

HSC
k_i_mm_i said:
we only had 4 ppl in our continuers...(1 never comes, another is ALWYAS late),..and only 3 in extension (1 always late) - always
what!?? only 4people in cont? is it a class, inside the school??
and same with the extention? a class inside the school? wooooww. . . .

our class sometimes are down to 3people at most... hahah

kablondie

Continuers at open high

i do continuers at open high and as in one of the previous messages of the assessment weightings 40% and 60%, im currently freakin out about the 40% one at the end of this month. im the only one in my grade doin it so its kinda lonely but i still like japanese.

so if anyone has any notes or knows of a place to get notes from that would realli help.

minasan ganbatte ne!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)