Who hates right-wing (religious) conservatives? (1 Viewer)

rantman

HSC
N/A
Like Tony Abbott, that hillsong shit and family first party...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I vehemently oppose them, I disagree with everything they have said, I disagree fundamentally with what they stand for and no this is not god.

Some intereesting gossip:

The NSW head of Family First was originally a primary school teacher, he was always late and failed to formulate lesson plans, he gift was the gift of the gab, he talked himself out of anything.

He left teaching and established a church, evangelical in nature he rapidly attarcted members and rose in the ranks. When this church merged with another he bought his followers with him using them as bargaining chips in assuring his continued rise in power.

As relayed to me by two teachers who taught with him and one person still in contact with him.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
do u know the name of that man?
becos the real guy who is the head of it, from South Australia... well that isnt him, unless i am thinking of one of the Board of Directors. My mum is good friends with a group of the directors.

i dont hate religious ppl in politics. sometimes they mess up but so do the non religious ppl, why must u define them by their religion? even family first doesnt define themselves as a christian party so why should we?

addymac how can u disagree with everything? i think they have some really good policies. its unfair to write off everything becos of one thing they believe in.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
No I don't know his name, all I know is that when it was mentioned in conversation several people said "I know the NSW head of family first etc etc"

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
ever been to hillsong? they r the nicest ppl ever... and not obsessed with money

RIZAL

HSC
and hillsong is associated with 'Assemblies of God'. The pastor at Hillsong (Brian Houston) is the National President of the Assemblies of God of Australia.

RIZAL

HSC
Asquithian said:
Something I didn't know. Hmm.... Hillsong is just scary IMO...I know others will disagree.

I didn't find Hillsong that scary. I've been about 8 times and I found that they did urge people to give a bit more money than your average church would ask for....

But what I find the most worrying is the power of the pastor to influence the political leanings of the entire congregation.

when it comes to speaking in tongues and performing miracles....well I've seen that in a lot of churches.

I plan on going a few times this year with my Christian buddies because I enjoy the music...and some Hillsong chicks are hot!

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
lol i love hillsong.

and they r no way near as weird as many other churches are.

but brian isnt really incharge or even up the top of any of the family first stuff as far as i know, becos its still mainly a SA party, it only came into other states this yr for the 1st time, so i am pretty sure its still the ppl connected with paradise christian life centre (i think thats wat its called, guy sebastians church) who head it up, as opposed to hillsong.

Kierkegaard

HSC
I regularly attend a similar (much smaller) church to Hillsong. Who here knows of Oxford Falls Christian City Church? It's very similar to Hillsong. Phil Pringle stands up the front, dishing dogmatic rhetoric about values and Voltaire's supposed 'flaws', to a crowd lacking in abundant mental capacity. Well, my church is another 'Christian City Church' (Phil Pringle started the movement, some ignorant bugger decided to plant one on the Sunshine Coast), built on the foundation that money is good, no matter how it's attained. It just so happens that the 'rich' people in my church are shonky Real Estate Agents and a man -- whose mullet gives a not-so subtle hint at his mental skills -- with 20 houses and 20 massive mortgages to his name (housing bubbles make me want to puke).

Christian conservatism is extraordinarily scary. The church and state must never be one.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
You're all making me want to infiltrate the Hillsong Church. It'll be good practise for dealing with people from high society :rolleyes: and help me tune my acting skills :p

0Jade0

HSC
Hillsong is not a proper church.
A 'church' that asks for 10% of your income, and sells merchandise is not a real church in my opinion

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i think the religious right (in ANY religion) whether or not in politics is the greatest threat to the world in this day in age

terrorists=religious right
george bush elected by the religious right, as, arguably, was howard.

religion does not have a monopoly on morality, ethics or human lives...the right wants to run people's lives the way THEY want, well, i'm sorry, no organisation can choose how u r 2 run ur life.

i particularly abhor the catholic right, but simply because i have more experience with it. how can a CHURCH in a SECULAR society choose wat gets taught in schools (c.f. evolution/creationism)

two particular quotes i like:

Concerning the Pope's claim that homosexuality is 'unnatural'. Perhaps the Pope is suggesting that it lies beyond the scope of 'normal' human behavior. If so, this has uncomfortable implications for an association of old men who wear dresses, hear voices and practice ritual cannibalism. Self-enforced celibacy is all but unknown among other animal species. If any sexual behavior is out of tune with the natural world, it is surely that of the priesthood."
George Monbiot, The Guardian, July 13, 2000

“According to the Gospels, Jesus did not devote any serious time or effort denouncing either abortion or homosexuality though he did devote serious time and effort denouncing the rich along with self-righteous religious hypocrites. Maybe today's Religious Right could learn a few things about "prioritizing" from Jesus?”
-E.T.B.

0Jade0

HSC
In science we are taught evolution... if people don't like it they can sit outside.
In religion we are taught about the creation stories.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Hill song is all about group think or more specifically a group giving there thinking entirely over to another. It is in this way a form of facism.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
0Jade0 said:
Hillsong is not a proper church.
A 'church' that asks for 10% of your income, and sells merchandise is not a real church in my opinion
10% is a biblical principle so most churches do follow this. hillsongs offering messages have just attracted more publicity becos of their buildings facilities.

they dont call it merchandise they call it resourses. these resources help u in all areas, some relationship principles, some bout money, lots bout God, some bout worship, some on other religions, long lists.

check out www.koorong.com to see wat sorta stuff they sell.
(i didnt make it a link cos it might hav an au or somethin on the end)

0Jade0

HSC
beccaxx said:
10% is a biblical principle so most churches do follow this. hillsongs offering messages have just attracted more publicity becos of their buildings facilities.

they dont call it merchandise they call it resourses. these resources help u in all areas, some relationship principles, some bout money, lots bout God, some bout worship, some on other religions, long lists.

check out www.koorong.com to see wat sorta stuff they sell.
(i didnt make it a link cos it might hav an au or somethin on the end)
I see the brainwashing has begun?

0Jade0

HSC
It's not only books... but CD's and song books..... Which at my church ar for free in every pew.......(the song books... not the CD's)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
With evry single post beccaxx reinforces my views on her, on people who go to hillsong and on hillsong itself.

On the other hand it is commendable that she is trying to mount a defence and has not resorted to name-calling to do so. :cough: thornydevil :cough:

Some little comments:

A fool and their money are easily parted.

Mmmmmm brainwashing.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
im a very proud christian i and believe Jesus is the way, the truth and the life and no one can come to God except through him. but, the people at hillsong preach 'pop culture' christianity, which tells them all they will be rich because God takes care of them etc. hillsong is distorted Christianity and members of that congregation do not know any further about the religion except what is taught to them because the message they hear is so elementary and shallow in nature. political leaders such as abbot and costello manipulate such idiotic human beings for their own gain and thats why fundamentalist right-wing Christian parties gain so much support through this 'charismatic' form of Christianity, which God forgive me for saying, is full of shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)