Who has started writing? (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Jacks
I've sort of started...but as part of the course you have to show evidence of research and such so taking your time, as long as it is useful in some form of another (and doesn't amount to too much time) is alright. You have to show extensive evidence of investigation into your form before you actually start anyway :)
that's exactly my philosophy,
i've only written one poem
it's not much, but the poem is 3 pages
i think it's "alright"

before i finished it,
i spent a few months researching and reading poetry, reading about influences, adding stuff into my process diary, and so on.

the key to showing extensive evidence would be through your process diary, go to as many websites as possible, write a few notes, jot down your thoughts, and everything should be clear and simple to understand

i've got things like
'visited www ...'
'read ...'
'i thought that ...'
'i could use this in my ...'

thoughts, ideas, anything useful :)

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
ive been trying to write every day in my diary, but it never seems to work for me... i prefer to sit down and write for a few hours about what ive done and stuff like that... and i literally have a box of stuff to paste in these holidays, so that should make my diary put on some weight.

bookboy18

Knight of the PIGhood
Exactly.

And sometimes, there are just some ideas that you can't explain or tell where they came from cause you don't know yourself.

Its all stuffed up.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
maybe you'll have to learn... though i suppose the diary (unlike history extension one) isnt worth anything

Huy

HSC
N/A
the diary is only there to double check and verify that the work is actually yours?

if they suspect plagiarism, they can always revert back to your process diary to find some evidence

it's not looked at 'first'

this is what we've been told:

your major work is read/viewed
they get a feel for it, e.g. "this sounds like a 43/50"

then your reflection statement is read
it is then used to backup their initial thoughts, or dismiss it
say you've got a great major work, and your ref. statement is fab too, so it'll boost that mark of '43' (for example)

if it's a dud, then they might lower it to 40

and if there are any discrepancies, your logbook/process diary/journal is looked at for further verification

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah, basically the diary cant affect your mark... they have the right to look at it for any reason, but usually only if they think your work might not be original

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by snakeoils
yeah, basically the diary cant affect your mark... they have the right to look at it for any reason, but usually only if they think your work might not be original
yep snakeoils basically covered it
they only look at your work if they think you're a phony :p
(that's it in a nutshell)

so it doesn't really have to be 1000 pages or anything like that!
just a couple of notes, make it substantial, but don't do it one day before it's due and fake dates, entries and so on.

regularly update it,
but don't put everything into it

remember, someone once said that your process diary should NOT be your 'second major work' :p

so keep it short, simple and relevant
the bulk of your 'work' should be in your major work itself and the reflection statement (keeping in line with the word limit)

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
hehe yeah, the 'its not your second major work' point was made at an ETA conference in darling harbour last year... the conferece was basically useless cept for that point :p

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
just keep track of the general process and stuff like that...REFLECTING upon it, talking about sources etc. Here, have a sample out of my dairy:

"After watching Looking For Alibrandi for the umpteenth time, I decided to address some of the characterisation issues I was having. I felt that some of my characters, particularly the religious black mammas, were a little two dimensional, so i tried to think of a way to incorporate some of their history, without clashing with my Survivor scene. I ended up following them down supermarket aisle, watching how they chose what groceries they were going to buy. Not completely satisfied with that, but it will do for now."

Aint life grand?

ellipsis

HSC
Originally posted by snakeoils
just keep track of the general process and stuff like that...REFLECTING upon it, talking about sources etc. Here, have a sample out of my dairy:

"After watching Looking For Alibrandi for the umpteenth time, I decided to address some of the characterisation issues I was having. I felt that some of my characters, particularly the religious black mammas, were a little two dimensional, so i tried to think of a way to incorporate some of their history, without clashing with my Survivor scene. I ended up following them down supermarket aisle, watching how they chose what groceries they were going to buy. Not completely satisfied with that, but it will do for now."

Aint life grand?
Black Mamma's ? Survivor ? Gosh, what are you doing for your major work ? He he, sounds interesting though. Definetely original :p .

malayz_angel

Following ppl down supermarket aisles? Dang, why didnt I think of that? Bye ppl, I'm off to find out what elderly ppl buy for breakfast. lol. Anyway I have a stalker in my story... this is actually good research!

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
I think the 'goodness' of 4U english or any other subject for this matter is relative depending on each individual.

I think it's quite fun. perhaps there'll be some kind of self-satisfaction once it's all over.
we'll be all looking at our work with pride(?) cause no matter what we know that we've put on a hell of a work on it.

plus I'm not doing it for the scaling since I'm more likely to be failing it. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)