Who got an offer for unsw med?? (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
23 now?! man its 27-28 at monash...five days a week...inflexible timetable what r u whinging about?!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
how much self-directed learning do you guys have to do at unsw?

When do you start going to hospitals and all?

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Bob: We start going to the hospitals in the first week. We go once fortnightly for the first two years.

Fos: I don't know if they're going to use Clacy for every lecture. I reckon them running two different lectures concurrently, twice in a row is the most probable outcome. The shittiest thing about this is we don't have unlimited access to the SG rooms anymore for group meetings/movies/raping the internet connection.

Foundations is scary. They throw you straight into the deep end - I've even heard that some girl cried when she found out how much work we got.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
So Kim u looking to transfer to Medicine? Remember, Monash or Adelaide are out of the question!

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Foundations: oh Kim, stop being so serious.

They're renovating all of CLB at the moment still, and matthews have some big theatres. I guess we'll find out how they run the lectures when we get back (after 1st years have done foundations that is)

But i think they will have to crack down on people swapping which prac they decide to go to.

Kelvy

HSC
I hate this!! Stupid 50 billion steps for acceptance and enrolment%!#!#

Umm....I'm tossing up between arts/med and just med. Would any of you know the workload difference between them? (I know arts/med is one yr extra) Is the difference negligible? Or is arts/med a shitty workathon?

thanks lol :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
in arts you take off a year thru medicine...keep that in mind.

Kelvy

HSC
So you're implying it won't be much difference? (I think you take a full year of arts in year 4 of 7)

craze711

Skywalker said:
Bob: We start going to the hospitals in the first week. We go once fortnightly for the first two years.

Fos: I don't know if they're going to use Clacy for every lecture. I reckon them running two different lectures concurrently, twice in a row is the most probable outcome. The shittiest thing about this is we don't have unlimited access to the SG rooms anymore for group meetings/movies/raping the internet connection.

And what's the big deal with foundations? Nat's right, it was a joke. We didn't even have to pass the exams.
DO you go to the same hospital for year two that you go to year one? Or do you have to go through the allocation process again? Also would you happen to know generally how many students each of the four hospitals takes for first year students?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
i dont think u actually have to confirm you want to do arts med until well into first year, i think? it doesnt seem like an urgent decision.

as for hospitals, i havent been asked to remake selections, so i'm assuming i'm at the same hospital for 2nd year.

no idea about relative numbers... but i do know that prince of wales takes a lot of students (often too many so that the patient-student ratio is frustratingly low) across all years (so not just first year, but second, third etc as well)

Kelvy

HSC
Hmm.....cos I'm doing the UNSW acceptance/enrolment process now and got a screen here asking whether I want to transfer to med/arts or not.

If i do pick med/arts - can I drop it? Similarly, vice versa? (Though that sounds unlikely)

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
So Kim u looking to transfer to Medicine? Remember, Monash or Adelaide are out of the question!
Was considering Melb for a while until I found out about it's course structure from an actual 1st year. It sounds even worse than ours. I know people whinge and bitch about UNSW a lot, but it's actually not that bad when compared to what I've heard about Melbourne/Newcastle.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Nar man i thought Newcastle and Melbourne were extremely well structured? They received AMC accreditation yonks ago...

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Well I guess the source I got the info from may have been biased: she transferred to UNSW after 1 year in Newie med. Among many things she said:

i) They have a big board somewhere in the building where you go to check assignments etc. You don't even get official notice of exams/work, you have to go and find it out yourself from notices stuck up around the place
ii) No anatomy classes
iii) No indication about the scope of the exam - meaning you stress yourself studying as much as possible to make sure you've covered everything
iv) Pass/Fail system doesn't let you know how well/bad you really performed in exams

Melbourne's implemented a PBL system very similar to most other universities. I don't know why people keep going on and on about how they're very "old school" and emphasise academic ability over clinical. They have components of their course catering towards the teaching of communication/ethics, much like every other university. They also have had a decrease in the amount of anatomy taught, and they don't learn distinct subjects - they do PBL cases every week. In terms of hours spent in the uni, they spend as much as us (UNSW) or even less sometimes, ranging from 18 - 23 hours depending on whether they have labs/practicals.

So yeah. Taking all that into consideration, I don't think any of those courses are particularly better than ours. I don't think there are any outstanding medical curriculums at the moment, as most unis seem to use the same things.

CrashOveride

HSC
I'm not doing Med or anything, but i was just wondering:

Is there a kind of overall elite medical school in Australia?
My mate got into the sci/med degree at Melbourne with a scholarship on top of that, and he was boasting to me that this is the best medical school in the country? Is he right?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
he is a penis...:)
haha maybe the elitism got to his head (pardon the pun)...Melb Uni. is considered to be "the best" undergraduate university in Australia but that doesn't say anything for their medical faculty. People who go to Melb. Med have nothing to boast about, as Skywalker has already pointed out. I think only people from Newie can truly boast about their course since Newie is slightly more organised than other medical schools.
Have you seen the thread from that fobby UWS guy? That pretty much sums it up- he said that what determines a good engineer, philosopher, psychologist, whatever depends largely upon the committment and effort, and not so much their academic institution or UAI.

aloquacious

HSC
N/A
woohoo, i just got a call saying i've got a late round offer 4 med... and i thought my chances were all over, haha...

nehow i got a uai of 97.75 and combined umat of 136 (pretty bad) haha... i think i got in cuz of the interview...

well c u guys on campus! :) Angela

jang

is not my real name
HSC
aloquacious said:
woohoo, i just got a call saying i've got a late round offer 4 med... and i thought my chances were all over, haha...

nehow i got a uai of 97.75 and combined umat of 136 (pretty bad) haha... i think i got in cuz of the interview...

well c u guys on campus! :) Angela
YEAH! GOOD ON YA

that is hardcore

nit

HSC
You must have had one great interview there, aloquacious.

btw aloquacious, how did you manage to get an interview offer with those scores?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)