Who else struggles with cooking? (1 Viewer)

wishbone

HSC
N/A
I don't know about you but when I moved out and had to cook for the first time it was freakin' hard. I felt so gumby and had no idea what to do or how to cook anything other than toast.

Does anyone else have the same experience or know someone who is about to move out and is dreading the kitchen themselves?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
LOL you made a boredofstudies account to ask this question? hahaha :)
Anyways, welcome!!

I watched Masterchef and that used to motivate me. Try it. Or you can watch cooking shows. Start off by making sandwiches and cutting vegetables.
Then fry an egg - if you can do that then it gets a lot easier.

Audranda

HSC
As Hyper_bole mentioned, you can watch some cooking shows on television and online as a form of inspiration/motivation. You can always start off with the basics, and as you progress, allow your skills to aggregate overtime.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Or just google whatever you feel like eating and follow the recipes

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's hard learning at first because there are heaps of little things to watch out for that may not be completely obvious, and the only way to know about hem is to make the mistakes.

For example, to make a sauce or soup thicker, you would first mix corn starch with water, then add it in to the sauce. A rookie mistake is to chuck in the corner starch directly in, which results in cornstarch clumps.

But once you learn the essentials of each type of dish roughly, it gets a lot easier.

Start cooking by trying to make soups. They are very hard to stuff up and are a good way of learning the basics about each ingredient and which order to throw things in the pan/pot.

For example, you would throw onions in a pan first and then add garlic when they start to turn translucent because the garlic pieces will cook faster than the onion, so if you add them first, the garlic will burn before the onions even start browning.

Experiment! Go by ear! (or tongue haha).

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also, youtube is your new friend. Very good for learning. The channel Food wishes is a good way to start because he explains things in an easy manner.

HSC
Also, youtube is your new friend. Very good for learning. The channel Food wishes is a good way to start because he explains things in an easy manner.
Lol. Chef John is tha best.

But also try out SortedFood and Laura in the Kitchen, Cooking with Dog, ochikeron are good ones.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Haha dw I do FT and I can't even bake a cake from cake mix

A good place to start is to start planning meals. I suggest looking at taste.com.au and scoping out their recipes, they have heaps of easy and tasty ones. I guess after a while, you'll learn to be more experimental and confident with food :) best of luck!!

AB940

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I'm shithouse at it which is embarrassing because my dad's a chef.
I tried cooking dinner for my family the other night and it tasted a bit like pool water (not even kidding). haha.

wishbone

HSC
N/A
Yeah I'm shithouse at it which is embarrassing because my dad's a chef.
I tried cooking dinner for my family the other night and it tasted a bit like pool water (not even kidding). haha.
There's a steak and tomato recipe on the website I mentioned before. Seems like a pretty easy meal for practise.

dim-sims

HSC
I can't even steam broccoli :'(

If I were to live by myself it would probably be toast or takeaway every night.

DannyBoy33

HSC
N/A
Just keep on trying to make something, u'll get to it in some time. It's really simple.

bigmaggie

HSC
N/A
Just watch some cooking shows on television or you can buy a recipe book. It can help you to cook easily. Just follow the steps and ingredients and you will cook a delicious dish. I remember the first time I cook it was so stressful but I found a good recipe book and now it is easy for me to cook and I love cooking now.

Dream-Big

HSC
Uni Grad
i can't creak an egg . everytime i do i keep going on my hands the hole egg. i did this 12 times and it keeps not working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)