• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who do you look up to? (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Yes, this article may be a day old, but I thought that it would be a good starting point for our own discussion regarding the people that we look up to (in a NCAP sense, of course).

The singer, the crim and the scientist: who we look up to

As the article states, the list compiled by the Herald represents the thoughts of however many readers over the course of two weeks. Now, as representative of the Herald's online readership as it may be, it doesn't reflect the views of the younger generation, a generation that grew up without having the privilege (well, some may consider it a privilege) of being a contemporary of sorts to many of those within the Herald's list. That said, you don't necessarily have to be a contemporary of a particular person in order to admire their efforts and ideas, and there are also many who became well-known posthumously, be it through their work or their writings. So, with that in mind, I thought that it would be a good idea to ask those here on BOS the all important question - Who do you look up to? Be the figure alive and well or not, I'm sure that there are many on here who would like to know.

p.s. I would like this thread to be one that provides a reasonable representation of the sub-forum at large (much like the 'where do you stand?' thread), so try and treat it seriously.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
THE TOP AUSTRALIANS

Sir Howard Florey

Eddie Mabo

Gough Whitlam

Sir Donald Bradman

Sir John Monash

Sir Edward "Weary" Dunlop

Sir Henry Parkes

John Curtin

Paul Keating

Dame Nellie Melba

Ben Chifley
That's what I look up to. The sort of doggedness and toughness of character that enables a man to put the longterm economic benefits of his country before his party and his government. He knew the public would hate him, he knew he could well risk his government's existence, but he did it anyway and to this day his wisdom and vision go without the recognition they deserve.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Hmmm... off the top of my head I can think of a couple:

Rommel
Monash
Adam Smith
Eisenhower (as president)
Chifley

ishq

brown?
HSC
It depends
Do you look up to some one because of their skill or intelligence,or because of their personality and endurance?

I.e Don Bradman vs Oprah?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ishq said:
It depends
Do you look up to some one because of their skill or intelligence,or because of their personality and endurance?

I.e Don Bradman vs Oprah?
BOTH- u IDIOT>

davin

HSC
N/A
a quick listing:

Tim Berners-Lee
Philo Farnsworth
Albert Einstein
Clive Cussler
George Lucas (OT)
Tom Tancredo
Galileo

Last edited:

gnrlies

HSC
Role Model I would have to say Keating is a pretty good start.

I mean not only did he have economic credibility, but he had the conviction and the "Im Right, You're Wrong" attitude to show him as an effective leader.

He wasn't right about everything (govt debt, CAD, recession we had to have) but I admire the way he went about doing what he did. I think he would have been a much better treasurer / PM if he was a liberal, only because he wouldn't have some of the economic constraints of the labor party (im thinking unions, deficit budgets etc)

This being said, Slash is my number one idol!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Geoffrey Robertson
Shaun Micallef
Inga Clendinnen
Peter Sellers
Willy Clinton
Nixon
Wonder Woman
Keating
Lincoln
Napoleon
Khrushchev
Churchill
Dean Martin
Geoffrey Rush
Maggie
Kirbz
Sinatra
Mandela
Bugs bunny

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Pericles -a decent leader
Chopper - Australas most famous crim
Gaeus Julius - liked fucking shit up//good at war
Seinfield - a funny commedian with cool ideas
Mendel - for his dedication to science

i dunno, theres heaps of peoples efforts ive looked up to, stuff that is pretty good that they have done, and also some bad stuff

Lincoln - for the dedication to go through with what is right, even though it looked like he was gambling his country in half.

ulyses[sp?] Grant, a decent general with pretty good strategy and skill
a handful of other civil war relics

you know alot of poeple do some good shit, and overcome the odds, we shouldnt necessarily look up to them for it because most people should do what is right, however these are the few that set good examples and excel in their field

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Mao Zedong, Mark Latham, Anthony Warlow. There are others, but these three will do.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Adam Smith, Paul Keating (because he followed right economic ends despite the contraints of his party, and has been one of the few PM's that have truly been presentable as statesman-like), Ronald Reagan and Maggie Thatcher.

davin

HSC
N/A
Lincoln - for the dedication to go through with what is right, even though it looked like he was gambling his country in half.
much as i like Lincoln, he did stuff based on what would keep the U.S. intact, not what he thought was 'right' per se

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)