Whinge about rental applications (1 Viewer)

Dammit

Has anyone got any tips for what to do with putting in these applications for rent for houses.

Ive been house hunting for a few weeks now and have been rejected for 4 applications. Currently only 19 with my partner being 21 it is making it very hard, she just started full time work and i am still a full time student and no one wants to lease a house to a student because they think i cant pay the rent (even though my parents are supporting me and i have told them all that i can give them a signed statutory declaration to say that my parents will be paying the rent etc).

plus ive been leasing a house for the last 12 months so they can see that i havent fell behind in rent ever.

yet no matter what we do we can never get the places we want. they are around $280 / week for a 3brm here in canberra that we are trying to get but no luck yet. and what makes things worse is i have to be out of this place on the 18th of jan. bugger..

does anyone have any ideas or hints that u can do to make more applications get accepted?

Thanks guys.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
woah bad luck man! I'm quite surprised to hear of your situation in Canberra. I dunno what it's like there but in Melb (or at least in Clayton near Monash Uni) if you have a group of mates you wanna share with and theyre all students you can get a house in a jiffy.

All I can say is that, you have to try to think in the perspective of the landlord/real estate agency and try to think of reasons why they would want to accept you. I reckon the list u posted there is good enough.

kalli

HSC
get her to fill out the rent application only... dont put ure name on the lease and just live there anyway... if they say anything, tell them ure on holidays there (there are 3 bedrooms to go around). if u are a good tenant they wont bother u...

i had a real estate agent tell me that agents prefer not to allow couples that arent married/defacto in a rental property together...

Dammit

but wouldnt it look a bit silly or suss if only one person applies to live at a 3 bedroom property?

like only she could apply but they would think well how can she pay the $280 a week rent on a $400 a week wage etc..? and they would prob reject her for that.

any thoughts?

kalli

HSC
nah it doesnt matter about how many bedrooms etc... she could say i want one for a study one for spare room and one for herself...

hmmmm about the money hitch.... i thought full time she would be getting more than 400...

ah well, good luck anyways! the agents sound so dodgy in canberra!!! :rolleyes:

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
Its hard to get a place if you have never rented before... The trick is to LIE!

Thats right, lie. Get a friend as a reference and get the to say that you were a private tenent and you have to move out cause they are renovating or some shit like that. Thats what we had to do to my brother.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)