Which will boost my chance of transferring to B Com at Usyd? (1 Viewer)

Hatake88

HSC
Hi guys,
I'm looking at a mid-year or end of year transfer (preferably mid-year of course) to commerce or economics at Usyd. The problem is that I don't know which path will be easier- getting my foot in the door at my preferred uni or in my preferred course. If it matters at all, I got an atar of 87.25 which is 4 points short for economics and 7.75 short for commerce (both at usyd).

As far as I am concerned, here are the rundown of my choices:

1. Commerce/Applied Finance at Macquarie Uni. I will be doing these in my first semester:
- Introduction to Statistics (STAT 170)
- Accounting IA (ACCG100)
- Principles of Management (BBA102)
- Macroeconomic Principles (ECON110)

Second semester is basically everything else which is compulsory in first year, namely: Accounting IB (ACCG101), Techniques and Elements of Finance (ACST101), Microeconomic Principles (ECON111) and Marketing Fundamentals (MKTG101). The thing I am worried about is that the Usyd Business faculty (as well as the arts faculty for Economics) won't tell me which Macquarie courses they will take credit for. It was more along the lines of "yes, we've counted certain subjects and, yes, previous Macquarie students have transferred here. No, we aren't going to tell you which subjects we are going to count or what WAM you will need to get to get into our course. Now go do well and come back."

2. Arts at University of Sydney. I will be doing:
- Economics
- Pyschology
- Socio-legal (I might swap to Econometrics)
- English

Now I know that economics (both macro and micro as well as econometrics) I'm going to get credit for. Socio-legal, english and pyschology I might get also as they are listed under commerce and economics as well (albeit as minors). The only thing I am afraid of is how long I will take to complete my course- I know that certain business subjects are compulosry to complete in first year for commerce and I was wondering if I could squish it all in in semester 2 2013 or in my second year.

Any help? Any past experiences? Which option should I choose and what are the chances of me realistically transferring for either?

Thanks!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Why don't you just do Arts at USyd and do the subjects that people in the degree you want to swap into do in first semester???

Hatake88

HSC
That is what I'm doing lol.

Its just that, as an arts student, I will not be able to do BUSS1001 or BUSS1900 which are compulsory first semester subjects for first year commerce students. I don't know the Macquarie equivalent of those too courses either...

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
You won't be able to overload in first year; unless you plan to do summer school in which you will need to pay upfront tuition fees or get fee-help. :S Mid-year intake: will your ATAR be used because you did not complete 48CP? I would do B Arts and transfer over after a year (get as many units I can credited for electives) but then because your heart is set on Commerce stick to Macquarie and transfer over - however some units may not be credited for. This decision is up to you ~ all the best. :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
That is what I'm doing lol.

Its just that, as an arts student, I will not be able to do BUSS1001 or BUSS1900 which are compulsory first semester subjects for first year commerce students. I don't know the Macquarie equivalent of those too courses either...
BUSS1900 is not a subject

And are you sure you can't do BUSS1001? That's shit.

antheung

HSC
N/A
You won't be able to overload in first year
Then can I do 30 credit points of study per semester? I mean, that's above the usual load of 24 credit points per semester, but there seems to be no need to ask for permission to do 30 credit points (so, in that sense, I guess it's not regarded as "overloading"?).

neontiger

HSC
USYD don't give credit for core subjects. So even if you did a similar subject at Macquarie, USYD would not give you credit for BUSS1001, BUSS1900, BUSS1002, BUSS1020, BUSS1030 or BUSS1040.

Also, I believe you need to have completed a minimum of one year of full time study for your tertiary grades to be considered when you transfer. I could be wrong about this though.

Also, if you're looking at an economics major... you study the same subjects in a BA with a major in economics as a B Eco/B Com with a major in economics!

Then can I do 30 credit points of study per semester? I mean, that's above the usual load of 24 credit points per semester, but there seems to be no need to ask for permission to do 30 credit points (so, in that sense, I guess it's not regarded as "overloading"?).
Most faculties at USYD don't let you overload in first year. Anything over 24 cp is considered overloading.

antheung

HSC
N/A
Most faculties at USYD don't let you overload in first year. Anything over 24 cp is considered overloading.
What if I'm transferring into third year of a four-year programme? Do you think they will let me do 30 cp per semester in my first year at USYD? And in case they don't let me do 30cp, can I simply add the extra unit of study online?

Thanks.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
USYD don't give credit for core subjects. So even if you did a similar subject at Macquarie, USYD would not give you credit for BUSS1001, BUSS1900, BUSS1002, BUSS1020, BUSS1030 or BUSS1040.

Also, I believe you need to have completed a minimum of one year of full time study for your tertiary grades to be considered when you transfer. I could be wrong about this though.

Also, if you're looking at an economics major... you study the same subjects in a BA with a major in economics as a B Eco/B Com with a major in economics!
You are. ^_^

antheung

HSC
N/A
So how does USYD treat the credit points gained elsewhere for core subjects? Do you have to retake those units of study at USYD? Or do they ask you to do additional electives instead?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
So how does USYD treat the credit points gained elsewhere for core subjects? Do you have to retake those units of study at USYD? Or do they ask you to do additional electives instead?
you have to retake the cores bby

best bet is usyd and try and do BUSS1001, 1002, 1020, etc.

antheung

HSC
N/A
you have to retake the cores bby

best bet is usyd and try and do BUSS1001, 1002, 1020, etc.
And the credits earned for the non-core units of study can be transferred without asking you to retake any units?:confused2:

Edit: I'm specifically enquiring about the mathematics major (http://sydney.edu.au/business/currentstudents/undergraduate/curriculum_information/majors/mathematics)

The major doesn't have any units of study called a "core unit", but it does require a certain number of credit points to be completed at the junior, intermediate, and senior levels. So, do you think I will still be asked to retake any units for which I'm applying for credit transfer?

Last edited:

neontiger

HSC
You are. ^_^
Haha must just be law transfers they require 48 cp for then XD

What if I'm transferring into third year of a four-year programme? Do you think they will let me do 30 cp per semester in my first year at USYD? And in case they don't let me do 30cp, can I simply add the extra unit of study online?
Yes, if you are transferring two years of credit to USYD, then you would be considered a 3rd year student. Then you can overload.

And the credits earned for the non-core units of study can be transferred without asking you to retake any units?:confused2:

Edit: I'm specifically enquiring about the mathematics major (http://sydney.edu.au/business/currentstudents/undergraduate/curriculum_information/majors/mathematics)

The major doesn't have any units of study called a "core unit", but it does require a certain number of credit points to be completed at the junior, intermediate, and senior levels. So, do you think I will still be asked to retake any units for which I'm applying for credit transfer?
You'd have to look at the Faculty of Science's policies on credit transfer for that, as Maths is run through Science so I think they'd be handling that.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha must just be law transfers they require 48 cp for then XD

Yes, if you are transferring two years of credit to USYD, then you would be considered a 3rd year student. Then you can overload.

You'd have to look at the Faculty of Science's policies on credit transfer for that, as Maths is run through Science so I think they'd be handling that.
you need 48 CP if your ATAR wasn't high enough (so he/she will need 48 CP) but you don't need 48 to transfer.
I had 45 CP of pass or higher and that was fine to transfer over.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

if you do MATH1001/2/3/4/5 at USyd then the transfer will be easy and they will take your marks and everything
From MacQ I'm not sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)