Which Uni should i choose? (1 Viewer)

Monkeyass8052

HSC
I just got the offers from newcastle uni and Western sydney uni, but do not know which one is better from the acdemic point , anyone could give me help to choose?

~untitled~

HSC
Go to UWS. I dont need any more little people stealing my parks and making me late.

Oliver04

HSC
I just got the offers from newcastle uni and Western sydney uni, but do not know which one is better from the acdemic point , anyone could give me help to choose?
vague parameters. where do you live, what do you study?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Academically, they'd be about the same so pick which ever gives you a better lifestyle.

Which city do you know best? Which uni do you know more people at? etc.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I am doing finance course.
Is this undergrad or postgrad? Newcastle only offer the B.Commerce at undergrad level and have combined the Finance degree into a major within the Commerce degree.

From my experience, Newcastle Uni offer a decent B.Com degree. The finance subjects in their later year (3000 level) require you to track what's happening in the financial news as a lot of they base their assessments around things like share price movement within the ASX200. They have some lecturers that do consulting with the big banks (eg. Joe Winsen did his undergrad in the US at Princeton), so they know their stuff.

I'd say go with Newcastle if you want the laid-back university lifestyle, pretty nice beaches and somewhere that has 24/7 access to an awesome computer lab with lounges and vending machines. :D

Alternatively, go with UWS if you want to study in the 'burbs of Sydney. I can't really comment on the structure of finance courses at UWS, but I guess they wouldn't be too far off what Newcastle offer. If you aren't too interested in specifics of the degree, then considering the points Jumb mentioned should suffice.

Last edited:

Monkeyass8052

HSC
Becasue i choosing newcastle sydney campus for master of business, i do not know whether they offer same teaching quality as what they offer in newcastle campus.

Monkeyass8052

HSC
coz, i heard people saying that UWS has bad repu compared to Newcastle, is that true?

blue_chameleon

HSC
coz, i heard people saying that UWS has bad repu compared to Newcastle, is that true?
I can't give you a comparison of the actual course structure between the two, however Newcastle has only recently began to establish a presence in Sydney and so the actual campus in the city isn't huge. However, from all that I've heard (working with student admin) the courses will be run identical at the Sydney CBD Campus as they are being run at the main Callaghan campus in Newcastle.

You might want to check here for further info about the University of Newcastle - Sydney CBD Campus:

Sydney CBD Campus

You can also contact the university to find out more about your degree and what it's like doing postgrad at Newcastle Uni.

Email: postgradstudy@newcastle.edu.au

Phone: 1800 999 444

Are you in Australia currently? If so, you might want to visit the campuses in person and find out a bit more.

Monkeyass8052

HSC
Cheers , i am in sydney, i went to the sydney campus before, but there was noone there, probably they just start the new campus this august.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Cheers , i am in sydney, i went to the sydney campus before, but there was noone there, probably they just start the new campus this august.
That's good to hear that you're in Sydney. I would suggest emailing the postgrad team at the Sydney Campus on that email and telling them that you are a prospective student and you would like to visit the campus before you make a decision on where to study.

I'm sure they would allow this, and this might give you a chance to talk to some of the staff there.

Monkeyass8052

HSC
hi blue..., do u know anything about UWS, coz my friend told me that do not go to UWS, otherwise u go on repent. is that true?

blue_chameleon

HSC
hi blue..., do u know anything about UWS, coz my friend told me that do not go to UWS, otherwise u go on repent. is that true?
No, I don't know anything about UWS. It's not one of Sydney's highest rated universities and is out in the Western suburbs of Sydney, but I don't know anything about the actual courses offered so I can't comment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)