Which uni is the best for Graphic Design? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I really want to do Graphic Design (or something similar) in uni, and I was wondering which University is most suited for this sort of course.

Also what are the prerequisites (for instance is it necessary to have more than 2units of maths) and what is assumed knowledge is needed?

And can someone who does a course like this, tell me what its like and if they;'re enjoying it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

ben

Hmmm... All I can say is I have done work experience 2 graphic design places, and I wouldn't recommend it (in my opinion).

There are a billion people "learning" to do graphic design, it gets paid pretty badly and you'll become obsolete in the workplace pretty damn fast. Plus the job itself is repetitive, lonely and not very satisfying.

I also did work experience at an Advertising place which had graphic designers working there. I'd recommend doing something else at UNI which you could use also use your Graphic design skills for (Printing/Publishing, Advertising, Media etc. etc.)!

Really, graphic designers don't need uni degrees! Just photoshop skills and a personal interest. It is a waste to get a uni degree, or need to go to billy blue or something, for graphic design. But if you can back that up your own graphic skills with a uni degree (such as advertising), youre more likely to get more opportunites in the future.

- - - Note: This is only my opinion! Correct me if I'm wrong about something. I originally wanted to be a graphic designer, but after my research and work experiences I've chosen to think more along the lines of business/marketing. :D

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Ben has some valid points. Im not too familiar with the content of a graphic design degree, but what graphic design usually comes down to is creativity, originality and flare. When i was at work experience at AJb Publishing half the graphic design crew didnt have degrees. They basicly showed their design portfolio and bang they got the job.

ben

Yes - Jobs will ONLY look at your portfolio. They couldn't give a stuff if you went to uni and learnt theory about "the principles and elements of design".

Morgues

Gotta agree........very much a talent sort of job
My friend had a gift with computer graphics and dropped out of school at the end of year 10
Let me just say he got a very well paid job straight up and is making a VERY decent salary right now.........doing what he loves
lucky

HSC
Originally posted by ben
Hmmm... All I can say is I have done work experience 2 graphic design places, and I wouldn't recommend it (in my opinion).

There are a billion people "learning" to do graphic design, it gets paid pretty badly and you'll become obsolete in the workplace pretty damn fast. Plus the job itself is repetitive, lonely and not very satisfying.

I also did work experience at an Advertising place which had graphic designers working there. I'd recommend doing something else at UNI which you could use also use your Graphic design skills for (Printing/Publishing, Advertising, Media etc. etc.)!

Really, graphic designers don't need uni degrees! Just photoshop skills and a personal interest. It is a waste to get a uni degree, or need to go to billy blue or something, for graphic design. But if you can back that up your own graphic skills with a uni degree (such as advertising), youre more likely to get more opportunites in the future.

- - - Note: This is only my opinion! Correct me if I'm wrong about something. I originally wanted to be a graphic designer, but after my research and work experiences I've chosen to think more along the lines of business/marketing. :D
Thanx for the advice....

Reading that made me a little depressed cos I was really hoping to get into something like that.

I'm a creative person, but I can't really do something like fine art cos I want to make a living. So I thought the next best thing was Graphic Design.

My photoshop skills are very average, so do you recommend me take an outside course that teaches me all the basic and advanced techniques of photoshop and then study something related to graphic design in uni?

Morgues

That is not to say a degree in this field is useless, if your interest is in this area then go for a degree for sure and even if it doesn't get you a job in graphic design directly it is still a very important certificate in your CV

Morgues

If you got graphic talent then learning photoshop isn't a barrier
I mean I know all the photoshop tools but am still hopeless because I am just crap at graphics

HSC
Originally posted by Morgues
If you got graphic talent then learning photoshop isn't a barrier
I mean I know all the photoshop tools but am still hopeless because I am just crap at graphics
I know all the tools and all that...
My fortes are mostly in drawing and graphic art, I just need to transfer my talent from using pencils and pens to using photoshop.

ben

Sorry! i didn't mean to make you depressed Mercury!

But i was disappointed too - because Graphic Design was what I had my heart set on for a while! Yes, I'd recommend getting all your skills in Graphic Design tools up to scratch through a normal course or whatever, or learn yourself. And look for uni degrees which graphic design would be a part of/help you with.

It's just Graphic Design by itself is very very competitive and a quite limited by itself, as far as opportunities go.

But yeah, there are plenty of courses to do with media/ printing/ publishing/ advertising/ etc. etc. i think

-- Either way, a graphic design course wouldn't kill you, it'd skill have it's benefits - it is very popular.

But that's just my opinion!

ben

Originally posted by mercurydrinker

I know all the tools and all that...
My fortes are mostly in drawing and graphic art, I just need to transfer my talent from using pencils and pens to using photoshop.

That's good! People in advertising always look for talented people that can draw up 'concepts' and stuff!

HSC
Originally posted by ben
Sorry! i didn't mean to make you depressed Mercury!

But i was disappointed too - because Graphic Design was what I had my heart set on for a while! Yes, I'd recommend getting all your skills in Graphic Design tools up to scratch through a normal course or whatever, or learn yourself. And look for uni degrees which graphic design would be a part of/help you with.

It's just Graphic Design by itself is very very competitive and a quite limited by itself, as far as opportunities go.

But yeah, there are plenty of courses to do with media/ printing/ publishing/ advertising/ etc. etc. i think

-- Either way, a graphic design course wouldn't kill you, it'd skill have it's benefits - it is very popular.

But that's just my opinion!
Don't worry bout depressing me...

It's good that your so honest about what you think about the Graphic Design as a career path.

btw are you in uni? and what sort of course are you doing if you are?

HSC
Originally posted by ben

no, i'm in year 12.
Oh OK lol

I assumed you were cos you seem to know so much and it sounded like you were speaking from experience or something :p

ben

Originally posted by mercurydrinker

Oh OK lol

I assumed you were cos you seem to know so much and it sounded like you were speaking from experience or something :p
No, i just have had 3 work experience thingys + lots of family in the industry

natalie

Mercury drinker.

i was looking at getting into graphic design myslef and so far the best option seems to be wollongong uni.

however to obtain a position at UOW you need to make an appointment with the head of the faculty reguarding your course selection, take your portfolio in for viewing and place graphic design at University of wollongong on the top of your preferences. if u do not do that u will not even be considered for a place in next years class. i hope this helps you a little bit in deciding what to do. good luck and best wishes

ben

Originally posted by natalie
Mercury drinker.

i was looking at getting into graphic design myslef and so far the best option seems to be wollongong uni.

however to obtain a position at UOW you need to make an appointment with the head of the faculty reguarding your course selection, take your portfolio in for viewing and place graphic design at University of wollongong on the top of your preferences. if u do not do that u will not even be considered for a place in next years class. i hope this helps you a little bit in deciding what to do. good luck and best wishes
OMG! Well I guess that backs my point up about competition.

jenster

don't crush people's dreams ben. with all the new websites popping up if you become a graphic designer and get a job with a popular firm you'll do brilliantly. i used to be interested in doing a GA degree at UNSW which looked good and someone doing it said it was heaps of fun to do aswell. they had nights where everyone displayed their work and he actually began working for a company before graduating. i'd look into enmore TAFE aswell. it's supposed to be great but i hear very hard to get into. good luck and go for what you love!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)