Which UMAT course is better? (1 Viewer)

sujee

HSC
I just want to know whether it is better to go to Med-entry or ICARUS for the UMAT course?. Which one would u recommend? or is it better to try both?:wave:

live.fast

HSC
N/A
wenzz da UMAT test for diz yeaar??? n wer r dem places for UMAT tutoring as well?? ne place neaar BOSSLEY PARK????

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
live.fast said:
wenzz da UMAT test for diz yeaar??? n wer r dem places for UMAT tutoring as well?? ne place neaar BOSSLEY PARK????
Is that meant to be a joke? :rofl:

kloudsurfer

HSC
If you want opinions from a number of people, go to www.medstudentsonline.com and go to the UMAT and GAMSAT section. There are like 50 threads on it.

But the general consensus seems to be Medentry. Which is where im going :)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
dreamer17 said:
Do the UMAT prep courses even help? I thought the test was basically unstudiable for...
As far as I know, the statement that "you cannot study for the UMAT" is a lie. I did the med-entry course and I definately noticed a practice effect - that the more exposure I had had to UMAT question types and their solutions, the better I performed on the tests. Even if one wishes to deny that practicing UMAT type questions has a positive effect on UMAT performance there is still the matter of confidence and performance anxiety. By doing practice tests you get used to the length of the tests and thus get better at time management within them. You also become familiar with certain question types, so you don't have to face the stress of coming up against something entirely new. In any case, I could go on, but I'll cut it short and just say that I think that UMAT prep courses help. Of course, how much they help, and whether this makes them cost effective, is another question altogether.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
there is those that sit the UMAT and still fail :)

so dun feel too bad if ure tat guy .. :p

so im a firm believer of the placebo effect here

Hurri

HSC
UMAT courses do help.

Icarus course was terrible. Badly presented, horribly organised and very overpriced. Dont do Icarus

sladehk

le random
HSC
the medstudentonline thing is still down from before.
umat can give you like an improvement of liek max i guess 10%?
if you were good at umat it'll make you slightly better coz it gives you experience, which you can get from official papers from acer. you don't NEED to hand them $400. waste of cash and time. besides, acer's changing the umat every year or so that people CAN"T *prepare* for such tests. just do past papers, stay calm and you'll mak it

aussiechica7

HSC
hey,

i took both medentry and the practice papers from acer.

the questions acer gives u in the practice papers are the EASIEST of the questions u r likely to face in the actual umat.

medentry will give u extensive experience with the harder questions.

i don't work for medentry, and i'm a bit of a tightass, so i don't say this lightly :) but seriously, medentry is worth every dollar they charge. i cannot speak for other prep courses because i have not taken them, but the consensus seems to be, from everyone else i've spoken to who took medentry, that it REALLY helped them prepare for the umat.

btw i took the umat twice. first time:169 score- rejected from every school i applied to. second time- used medentry- got 204. accepted into 4 medical schools. (applied to 6- i was rejected by jcu which doesn't use umat, and umelb which has only 5 places for non-yr-12's).

rocafella32

HSC
I think if youve got the money (about a $800 to spend) you should do what i did (i got 180 raw and a 260 percentile, which was enough to get me interviews nearly everywhere except freeking UNCLE).
I did AMEPP course, which was a pretty good course (on par with med-entry), as the guy who runs is pretty cool and realises where people usually struggle in the umat, and therefore he structures it towards that specific area. On top of the two day course (which was about 2mths before the actual exam), i actually signed up for medentrys internet program, where you can do the prac exams and the tutoring right from your home. This atleast allowed me to refresh my mind on umat stuff right up to the date of the exam, and i found that both the things i did in conjunction were really complimentary and helped i alot.
I think the AMEPP course is about 450 and the medentry course from home is about 250-300...

BUT WHATEVER YOU DO LOL STAY AWAY FROM ICARUS AND DALLAS...lol i could make a book out of the number of people who have complained about him...i even spoke to him on the phone once about interview training, and he blatantly called me dumb for asking a general question like what sort of interview score i need for adelaide med...so hes pretty much a A-hole

Me-Shell

HSC
sujee said:
I just want to know whether it is better to go to Med-entry or ICARUS for the UMAT course?. Which one would u recommend? or is it better to try both?:wave:
Hey, be careful what you say about prep courses! Look what happened to MSO....

Me-Shell

HSC
gee this is interesting. Way more negative things on here about icarus than there ever was on MSO... I wonder wtf?

hamzah

HSC
Me-Shell said:
gee this is interesting. Way more negative things on here about icarus than there ever was on MSO... I wonder wtf?

Woah, Woah, Woah...............wheres my batman glass?

Only true family guy fans will get that one.

BUT I WANTED TO ASK why did MSO go offline, was it because of the extensive prep course debate (Im MiscD), and if it was, what powers do they (they as in i dont know) have to make the board go offline.

Also to answer OP; one word, medentry.

Me-Shell

HSC
it is offline due to the prep course debate. It is likely to go back on, but with all material pertaining to prep courses deleted, and no one will be allowed to discuss prep courses at all or even mention them. that's why I just wondered why it's ok to say negative things about a umat prep course on here.

MSO didn't really say a lot of negative things about prep courses... just a lot of positive things about a particular course - and i think that must have got another course's nose out of joint. But I don't know all the details or facts. I could well be wrong in my theory.

aussiechica7

HSC
i think that may have been the official line, and perhaps we should respect that. the truth of the matter is, the site did have to be taken down, and can not be taken back up again because the moderator is on placement. :)

there is also some speculation about certain prep courses complaining about unfavourable reports from MSO's members (i.e. the public who use the forum)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)