Which textbook teaches the syllabus theory best? (1 Viewer)

xkellyy

HSC
There's an excel series for HSC students thats superrrr good. It has the syllabus dot points on the right hand side of the page and the information needed to answer it on the left hand side. But you'll probably need jacaranda/conquering to supplement the information.

EmeraldTempest

That Green Kid
HSC
My chem teacher went overboard so i have heaps of textbooks:
Chem Pathways 2 - is pretty good
Conquering Chemistry - ok ish
Fundamentals of Senior Chemistry
Pathways to Chemistry
Chemistry: an introductory study
Conquering Chemistry - 1st edition

Of all those above the most useful for me has been the macmillan chem pathways, however i also have the Excel HSC Chemistry (new book with yellow and silver cover) it is FANTASTIC as a summary book (a bit brief in a few minor dot point areas but covers everything in sufficient detail. Even has completed prac reports etc). Have been using it in conjunction with the Dot Point book and found them to be amazingly useful.

So all summed up... Get Excel!

mareetothemaxxx

HSC
I've read the various Chem textbook threads but have a more specific requirement.

-- Which textbook explains the theory the best, and sticks to the syllabus?

I have big gaps in my understanding of Production of Materials & Acidic Environment. Literally failed our first test! Only textbook I have is Dotpoint, which has great questions but no theory.

So I'd like a book which has detailed and understandable theory, one whose structure matches perfectly with the syllabus, so I can cross-reference it with the syllabus and my Dotpoint book questions quite easily.
Definitely Conquering Chemistry sweetie, but only for the practical stuff. But you know what I would actually recommend is that you should just do practice papers till they come out of your ears. Seriously, you just pick up better exam technique and learn how to mould limited knowledge into a band 6 answer.
Try Conquering Chem if you ask me, but maybe head to your local library and check out a few different books instead of buying them?

Pyramid

HSC
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I've downloaded Ahmad Shah Idil's notes, from my short browse they look fantastic, I'll just have to format them to look less intimidating! Props to him :D

-- Are there any further notes anyone would recommend from the downloads section?

Of all those above the most useful for me has been the macmillan chem pathways, however i also have the Excel HSC Chemistry (new book with yellow and silver cover) it is FANTASTIC as a summary book (a bit brief in a few minor dot point areas but covers everything in sufficient detail. Even has completed prac reports etc). Have been using it in conjunction with the Dot Point book and found them to be amazingly useful.

So all summed up... Get Excel!
Looks to be exactly what I'm after!

I'll check them out in person later this week, but I'll ask nevertheless: if I get Excel, which would be a better supporting text, Conquering or Jacaranda?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)