Which textbook and study method(s)? (1 Viewer)

rsingh

HSC
Hey guys,

This is probably my third post in this FORUM and you may be getting annoyed of me. But please give me some advice. I'm currently in yr 11 ongoing to yr 12 next term. I really want to achieve a UAI of 90+ and willing to work for it.

My economics marks aren't crash hot ... 70% being my highest last yr, and I just passed my prelim exam. My whole class went bad though.

Could someone who has achieved (85+) in Eco please tell me an effective way of studying for Economics? I want to start from the beginning of yr 12 so I can keep it consistent. I am understanding the concepts, however I just somehow grow crap it tests.

Also, which textbook is essential? My school gives out Leading Edge, however I want to purchase another one which may be better?

Thanks again guys. Thanks in advance.

jky.

HSC
hahha. i dont achieve 85+ but, studying methods is practically the same for every subject.
Be consistant. Do at least 1-2Hrs of Eco EVERY NIGHT. At least try a few hours a week. haha. If i actually did discipline my self like dat.. I would most probably get a 90+ uai. *sigh. SO BE CONSISTANT AND REVISE!

and textbooks...
My school offered Tim Riley - Pretty good. The Bulmer collections are good too (updated economics). and yes. the leading edge. Excels are pretty basic summarys.. so good for last minute study i guesS? haha.

good lucks

jky.

HSC
Ooh.. and also write essays, read others essays, do past papers and stuff. :)

Rorix

HSC
textbooks are overly verbose, if you're serious about eco (with money to spare) go to leading edge tutoring unless your teacher can give you good summarised notes (like mine:))

study methods? i just study the night before the exam, but whatever works for you

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
-Use Riley, complex but the best.
-Listen in class.
-Write up diagrams and notes on everything.
-Write up notes on each topic (4 topics) as you finish it, possibly during holiday breaks.
-Ask questions.
-Formulate scenarios in your mind to explain points better. (Ie. If the AUD appreciates what is the effect on Joe Blow exporting wheat to the US etc.)

ben_ratus

HSC
Well.. Leadin Edge produces the best Text Book. they also offer tuition services, but that can be a bit expensive. the good thing about the tuition is that they provide you with really up to date material sucha s statistics etc. If you have a poor memory you can visit www.creativeclassroom.com.au. this is a really good site, it helps a lot with essays, but again can be quite expensive still.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Yeah , I agree with "absolute" on this one. Don't rely on any lectures or teachers to spoon feed you summarised notes. Make your own. As hyped up as Leading Edge is, the textbooks are not perfect for everyone. Sure, they have pretty covers but the content is long-winded, does not always follow the syllabus (check out external stability if you dont believe me) and extremely verbose. Try the Riley book and see which one you like better. Personally, I prefer the Riley book.

HSC
follow the syllabus strictly at first...once you have memorised/learnt/understood all the dot points, go out of your way to find some extra material, this will help earn you bonus points when it comes to questions worth 4-6 marks and especially for essays!

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
i dont think i even have the syllabus LOL, is there a way that i can get it online?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Ross Gittens is fun to read but sometimes he doesnt always talk about things relevant to the syllabus. Be wary.

miffytoki

HSC
just have killer summary notes and memorise and understand everything....ideally i'ld say review your notes every night...but i think u can get away with just preparing for each assessment like 2-3 wks before.....i'm currently ranked 4....if u want a really good rank remmeber that every assessment counts, i sorta screwed up my in class essays and that dropped me down quite a bit...but in exams make sure u draw out links and relationships and use the key words...(practically hit them over the head with things) like for analyse questions use words like "this has the implication of blah" and "this leads to blah"....ooo and read the paper alot....it cuts down on time later when u have to memorise trends...(like keep an eye on the ER and IRs) and Ross Gittens articles...summarise them for later....

:) good luck with everything

astro

HSC
in the case of textbooks, will Dixon, Riley and Excel be suffice...or is it too much?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Erm..I would ditch excel but those three should suffice. Perhaps, depending on your study method, you might want to focus on one textbook (riley or dixon) more than the other rather than trying to balance the two. For certain topics, one is better than the other but I would go for Riley for most of it.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
What is wrong with you people?
Unless your severely damaged and cant comprehend words longer then 4 letters long use Riley. Its not even that complicated.
Its setting-out is beautiful as are the diagrams and everything is set out nicely. It contains wayyyy more info then leading edge *pukes* which is generalised and simplistic.
All the people i know using leading edge are failing whilst all the top students in our class use riley religiously.

jayz

walking
if you want good assessment marks, know your marker, add loads of jargon and answer the question

to get a good hsc mark, because the marking scheme is MUCH more consistent, read the syllabus and answer each point with UPTODATE stats (u dunt have to remember many stats, but u must remember the most important one)

in terms of reference reading material, smh.com.au, afr.com.au, rba.gov.au

gluck

brunette

HSC
well firstly u have to understand the basic principles u learnt in yr 11 otherwise ur gonna find it very hard to actch up in yr 12 coz they are the basic building blocks.

but yeh... wat i pretty much did was build up summaries of all the topics using every single bit of information i could find (text books, others essays anything) i typed them up so i could add to them when i discovered new things

by building summaries from all possible resources...when it came to exams i only had to read them and not rummage around looking for little bits of information (saves time)
also try and sumarise everything the day u learn it (or during that week)...i only started (or tryed to) to do this after the half yearlys and if i did it before it would have saved me a lot of heart ache

so yeh i know this is quite long but as long as u understand the concepts (and practise essays) its not that hard :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)