Which subjects to take? (1 Viewer)

Poad

HSC
On the Macquarie website it has a recommended program of study for Actuarial Studies here

For the 2009 one it doesnt have the recommendations for the double degree with Applied Finance, which I need. On the 2007 it has this recommended for Actuarial + App Finance:
Semester 1
ACST151 - Introduction to Actuarial Studies
ECON110 - Macroeconomic Principles
STAT171 - Statistical Data Analysis
MATH132 - Mathematics IA (Advanced)

Semester 2
ACST101 - Techniques and Elements of Finance
ACST211 - Combinatorial Probability
ACCG105 - Introductory Financial Accounting
ECON111 - Microeconomic Principles
MATH133 - Mathematics IB (Advanced)

So, uh, do I just take those classes? Are they all mandatory or can I choose to do other ones instead?

bennyhenny

HSC
Hi Poad, just follow the recommended program for all 4 years of your degree and the courses are all mandatory as they form the basis for obtaining your actuarial exemptions

Poad

HSC
Okay, thanks. So should I just do the ones I wrote in my first post? Because they were from 2007, and they don't seem to have the 2009 ones up.

zeromq

HSC
N/A
Yep, all actuarial students do those subjects in their first year

kevinant

HSC
All of them are compulsory and you need to get credit or above in each of them otherwise you will have to repeat(not just GPA of 3 , 3HD/1P still means repeat in that P subject, better to have 4CR). There is little room to wiggle for elective (But if you can fill in maximum 4 subects a semester, therefore if you are doing 3 subjects in any of semester, you can do an extra one for fun.[Please consult academic officier about this]).And you can switching the order around as long as it's not a prerequisite of another. Note that in second semester of first year you are doing 5 subjects, which is overloading (there is a mandatory overloading form that you'll have to fill on the enrolment day). And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't overload again after that.

It's interesting to note your UAI is exactly same as mine.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)