Which subject should I take for my last two units? (1 Viewer)

moonsuyoung

HSC
Hi guys!!
I'm having another subject selection crisis again. I'm considering these subjects below but want my last two units to be less content-heavy as I will likely drop them in year 12. I'm deciding between software engineering (new sdd) and enterprise computing (new ipt).

I know software engineering will be more enjoyable for me but I know it might take up more time than enterprise computing as it will be more harder for me. Everybody says ipt is quite boring and so I'm assuming the new syllabus will be as well. I really want to choose SE but it would affect my workload dramatically, so should I still choose it?
  • mx1
  • advanced eng
  • eco
  • engineering studies
  • physics

dav53521

HSC
Why don't you look at the new syllabuses as from what I've seen enterprise computing is quite different from ipt as it covers stuff like data visualisation, science and cyber sec which is very different from ipt imo

moonsuyoung

HSC
Why don't you look at the new syllabuses as from what I've seen enterprise computing is quite different from ipt as it covers stuff like data visualisation, science and cyber sec which is very different from ipt imo
oooh okokok. What do you think about the workload of the subject?

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
You could try out SE for the first couple of weeks to see if it will actually affect your workload dramatically before considering whether or not to switch it out for Enterprise computing.

Also, you seem super passionate about SE and generally speaking, people perform best in the subjects that they enjoy and are passionate in.

moonsuyoung

HSC
You could try out SE for the first couple of weeks to see if it will actually affect your workload dramatically before considering whether or not to switch it out for Enterprise computing.

Also, you seem super passionate about SE and generally speaking, people perform best in the subjects that they enjoy and are passionate in.
oooh wait when you mean by switching it out, do I take both SE and CE and drop one?

carrotsss

HSC
I wish I could go back and tell myself this, but please don’t worry about workload when picking your yr11 subjects. The great thing about yr11 is that you can change in the first few weeks and then drop subjects entirely at the end, and since yr11 doesn’t matter you might as well take the opportunity to try out as many units of subjects you might enjoy as you can, you’ll thank yourself when you get to year 12.

moonsuyoung

HSC
personally sdd is not that much of a workload (like no hw from memory and you can do like all the tasks or whatever set during class)
ipt on the other hand gave me a 500 word academic report which was due like last week and i still haven't been bothered to do
LMAOOO DOOD
wait but my lack of programming is not the best tho, and would the demands of the subject require me to work even more?

moonsuyoung

HSC
I wish I could go back and tell myself this, but please don’t worry about workload when picking your yr11 subjects. The great thing about yr11 is that you can change in the first few weeks and then drop subjects entirely at the end, and since yr11 doesn’t matter you might as well take the opportunity to try out as many units of subjects you might enjoy as you can, you’ll thank yourself when you get to year 12.
oooh okok thank you!! I'll consider that :D

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
oooh wait when you mean by switching it out, do I take both SE and CE and drop one?
I was suggesting that you do SE as your final two units so you can get a feel of the workload.

Alternatively, you could take both SE and CE for year 11 and get a feel of the workload for both subjects before dropping one of them for one of your original subjects of engineering, physics....

hopefully this makes sense?

dav53521

HSC
LMAOOO DOOD
wait but my lack of programming is not the best tho, and would the demands of the subject require me to work even more?
From what I've seen so far it covers the basic of programming so you should be good in that sense

dav53521

HSC
LMAOOO DOOD
Another thing I want to add is that I managed to do pretty well in SDD major work and I learnt a lot of my programming knowledge from there so it is possible to do well with a lack of knowledge plus if you enjoy the subject then you should do well in it. Also another thing you should consider is what you want to do in the near-ish feature as from what I've seen the software engineering syllabus if executed correctly could build a very good foundational knowledge of software development/engineering and also could help with people interested in mechatronic engineering

dav53521

HSC
Ok I've looked into it for software eng. I don't know how hard some of the stuff will be as I don't know or feel comfortable in machine learning, some of the mechatronic stuff, probably some web stuff (although it looks like some of it has been ported over from IPT) and some software architecture stuff.

However, from what I've seen it does look like a fun course could be a bit heavy as it does look like it covers a lot and does have an individual project that I assume is a major work so that could take up a bit of time as all major works do. But if you're really interested in what's being taught then I would say give it a go as I remember in yr 10 stressing over whether I was going to fail in SDD and I ended up doing quite well so I will say if you're interested in programming, mechatronics or machine learning then give it a go and see if you like it or not. Also it looks like it took the diagram stuff from the SDD and IPT syllabus

avicidal

HSC

i wasnt passionate in it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)