Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

YO!

• ME2

Votes: 243 60.4%
  • EE2

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • Neither - It's a silly question

Votes: 57 14.2%

• Total voters

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Re: Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extensio

opinions differ. in schools full of asians, extension 2 english will tend to be more prestigious but in schools with non asians, extension 2 maths will tend to be more prestigious.

Anus McLovin

HSC
Re: Which subject is more "prestigious" - English Extension 2 or Mathematics Extensio

aeiss said:
i know this kid in my grade who did mx2 when he was in yr 10. he came 8th in the state. he's a beast.

however. i don't think that would occur with ex2. development of ideas and such.

edit: he did it in year 9
It's impressive to us, but to Malaysian/Singaporean kids this is actually the Norm. In the senior years of high school they do University level Mathematics.

As for Prestige, i reckon Ext. 2. English by far. I go to Sydney Boys High, and 120/200 kids do Ext 2 maths. Another 50 do 3U and about 10 do 2 Unit. You have to make the 120 cut to do 4U maths, but the rest is up to you.
Less than 1/10 of the grade DON'T do any Maths.

Compare this with English where 10 do Extension 2, 70 do 3U and 120 do 2U (the lowest available to the students). For English there are cutoffs for 4U and 3U, and so i reckon with a smaller cut-off, Extention 2 English is not the norm, nor easy to make the grade. Although Sydney Boys High is generally shit at English, there are at least 30 or more "Freaks" who could rip up HSC Extension 2 English

The figures are almost the exact inverse, so i'd say doing Ext 2 English is more prestigious

lionking1191

HSC

Anus McLovin said:
It's impressive to us, but to Malaysian/Singaporean kids this is actually the Norm. In the senior years of high school they do University level Mathematics.

As for Prestige, i reckon Ext. 2. English by far. I go to Sydney Boys High, and 120/200 kids do Ext 2 maths. Another 50 do 3U and about 10 do 2 Unit. You have to make the 120 cut to do 4U maths, but the rest is up to you.
Less than 1/10 of the grade DON'T do any Maths.

Compare this with English where 10 do Extension 2, 70 do 3U and 120 do 2U (the lowest available to the students). For English there are cutoffs for 4U and 3U, and so i reckon with a smaller cut-off, Extention 2 English is not the norm, nor easy to make the grade. Although Sydney Boys High is generally shit at English, there are at least 30 or more "Freaks" who could rip up HSC Extension 2 English

The figures are almost the exact inverse, so i'd say doing Ext 2 English is more prestigious
judging prestige by cut-offs is rather lacking, but then prestige in itself is quite a insubstantial concept.

Anus McLovin

HSC

lionking1191 said:
judging prestige by cut-offs is rather lacking, but then prestige in itself is quite a insubstantial concept.

I'll agree with you on this one.

I personally don't consider a 4U'er to be of some 'higher calibre' than anyone else. In fact, some (such as myself) may see it as foolish as it forces you to concentrate on one subject, and potentially fail in the others. After all, there's only so-much time you can allocate to studying.

lionking1191

HSC

Anus McLovin said:
I'll agree with you on this one.

I personally don't consider a 4U'er to be of some 'higher calibre' than anyone else. In fact, some (such as myself) may see it as foolish as it forces you to concentrate on one subject, and potentially fail in the others. After all, there's only so-much time you can allocate to studying.
:)

scaling is over-rated, but i guess some people really do enjoy extensions (eg. major work and... maths.... i guess...)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i know heaps of dropkicks who are doing EE2, it just doesnt really happen with M4U though

dorkkkkk_

HSC

honestly.
it depends on what you want to do with your life.
if you want to be a journalist, obviously ext 2 english is more important.
if you want to be something like a science than ext 2 maths is.
theyre basically 2 different subjects. you cant compare at all.

MC Squidge

BOS' Apex Predator
HSC

math cuz english is deadshit

m.jakaran

HSC

I think maths, because really, anyone with a basic skill in english could put together a 4u english major work if they worked hard enough at it and get a decent mark. For maths though, a certain skill is required, and there are some people, who no matter how hard they work at 4u maths won't be able to do it.
what are you on about, I have an IQ of 91 and do great at extension 2 maths. However as hard as I may try in English, I still fail.

m.jakaran

HSC

Prestige is proportional to attainablity.

RuffWoof

HSC

MX2 hands down- keeping it real !

MX2 is 2 units, EE2 is 1 lousy ass unit
MX2 has better scaling
It is debatable whether the amount of effort required to get 49+ is worth it for EE2 whilst MX2 is a fact

LordPc

HSC

MX2 hands down- keeping it real !

MX2 is 2 units, EE2 is 1 lousy ass unit
MX2 has better scaling
It is debatable whether the amount of effort required to get 49+ is worth it for EE2 whilst MX2 is a fact
lolz, go and do 4u english first. then come back when you actually know what you are talking about.

Deathwatch

HSC

I guess to really judge you should do both and see what happens XD

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A

the entire HSC is geared towards maths and science, of course maths ext. 2 is more prestigious within high school.

i disagree completely, they both require an extreme amount of work and are very different subjects.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC

This thread in its very nature is trivial. Obviously people are going to vote for the subject in which they have/are/will be doing. The only way to gain some idea of which one is more 'prestigious' is to ask someone who has actually done both, and even then i'm not sure in what sense you define 'prestige'.

We'll probably have a bunch of radicals now making acc's pretending that they do both... :rofl:

dp624

HSC

Mx2 =p

Deathwatch

HSC

I guess they are impossible to compare as they are polar opposites. English requires imagination and Maths follows the strict rules of logic.

HSC

Maths Ext 2 by far (I don't do it) but it gets you into more courses, is more challenging and is only open to a more selective range of students than Ext 2 English is.

Just my perception though.

RuffWoof

HSC

lolz, go and do 4u english first. then come back when you actually know what you are talking about.
What?
You can't argue the fact that MX2 has better scaling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)