Which School is doing Retreat From The Global? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
IMPLICATIONS OF TRADE MISUNDERSTOOD

Mark Vaile appears not to understand the implications of the trade deal he negotiated with the US (Letters, June 30). He insists: "There is nothing in the FTA which will undermine Australia's ability to continue to nurture our culture, or ensure that Australian stories and voices are available on both existing and new forms of media." This is not true.

New media- an area growing exponentially and which in years to come may account for our greatest access to programming - has no local contact protection. There is, though, a clause that Mr Vaile has negotiated that suggests that in the future if there is little or no access to Australian culture via new media, the Government only then can raise this with the US and only then ask if it is willing to negotiate any increase. I think I know what the response would be.

As an actor who has been extremely fortunate to work in both the US and Australia, I am not anti-American. I am, however, pro-Australia.

American programming on pay TV in the US accounts for 98 per cent. Australian programming, by contrast, on Australian pay TV accounts for 3 per cent. Mark Vaile suggests under the free trade agreement an Australian government could potentially double expenditure quotas for Australian drama stations. There is no provision for this expenditure to be spent on new Australian programs. Quite simply, the money may be used to buy and screen programs already seen or to be seen on free-to-air TV.

The free trade agreement is a win-win for the US and will pass with flying patriotic colours through the US Senate. The Australian Government tells us the free trade agreement is good for Australian culture. It is not.

Letters Section
David Wenham
Sydney, Jun 30
SMH

or...

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Daily Telegraph, 6 Oct,04
Style File
“Requiem For A Pipe Dream” - Bianca Dye

Heading home in a taxi on a rainy Friday afternoon, mobile phone in one hand, Palm Pilot in the other, I was making appointments for a week that hadn’t yet begun while dreaming of the quiet life in a sleepy town by the sea.

It does have a cosy feel about it doesn’t it? I love this city, and everything it has to offer and as a big city girl I’m the first to be right amongst it. However lately, I have to admit, there are times when the “quiet life” doesn’t seem so much like the “isolation” I’ve always dreaded but more like the solitude and relaxation that I strive so hard to achieve in my yoga class. My heart palpitates and my chest gets tight and I sit back and wonder if it’s all worth it. When I mention this to a few friends I am surprised at the number of people who suffer from this anxiety too but just keep quiet about it.

We are living in a highly stressful time. Work hours have become longer in the pursuit for success. Careers and high goals are the order of the day and down time is harder to come by.

To unwind we go to drinks after work or hit the gym and lately, for me, spend an hour surrounded by other stressed professionals trying to relax. The very fit and chilled instructor tries to make me forget about last week while I’m secretly thinking about this week, next week and the week after and also trying to succumb to my ancient Indian relaxation techniques.

Breathe girl, breathe.

Holidays are just not enough anymore. How many times have we heard a work mate say “by the time I started to relax, it was time to come back”. Sound familiar? So what are the options? Pack up the car and find your own version of the ABC’s Seachange? Actually, yes.

It’s comforting to know I’m not alone in wanting to shun the crazy city life. Australian Bureau of Statistics figures reveal that some 40 000 people left the big smoke in 2001 for a new life in regional and coastal NSW. The trend has continued in the last two years.

Droves of city people everywhere are packing up their life in the family sedan and heading up or down the coast or inland on their own personal quest for the “simple life” (although perhaps not Paris Hilton style).

Whether it’s the search for a long-lost sanity or a return to old-world family values, it’s a trend that has gained popularity and as I’m still sitting in stinky, peak hour traffic I’m not surprised. We dream of a calmer life but city life is like a drug isn’t it?

I can’t help but think that for better or worse I’m addicted to his pack of life. I actually thrive on the busy this city generates and for now I couldn’t even contemplate being away from it.

Speak to me in a year. I may just have moved to a farm in Byron Bay. Or at this rate, I may still be sitting in this damn taxi.
-------------------
you should check the RFTG Supp material thread for others.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
my school is doing retreat from the global too! its hunter valley grammar and we have one class

mathock

HSC
Willyama High in Broken Hill has 3 students doing RFTG, which is pretty ironical considering our whole town is retreating, and all the kids with at least a small degree of intelligence leave after yr 12 anyway... i think 2 out of the 3 ext eng students will get good marks, even tho our teacher is going senile :( haha watch out for us, the hillbillies are coming to town :p

Groagy

HSC
Oxley is doing RFTG

We also hold a collective vendetta against Seamus Heaney (damn you and you're disturbing infatuation with bodies in bogs!!!) and Annie Proulx (damn you and the silent x in your name!!!)

Last edited:

zardit

Barrenjoey is doing it too, there are about 9 of us I think. We dont really understand the topic, but we blunder through it: around 20/25 for each question

K

katie_tully

Tullamore Central and Peak Hill Central. I am the only one from my school and there's a chick from Peak Hill so we've combined to form a class of 2.

beverly

HSC
N/A
if anyone is looking for some help on RFTG i think i may have a book that might be helpful. it's the only 'study guide' that is out there for this module and has convenient recaps of texts etc. PM me for info

HSC
N/A
There is a study guide?!?!?

I'm so telling Mr Eldridge next Monday... he's going to flip out... heeheehee... with the study guide around, he's not going to have any more excuses for trapising around NSW, lecturing Yr 12 RFTG students on the significance of mass-produced global cultures :p

beverly

HSC
N/A
lol yep i believe it is the only one that exists! you can tell there wasnt much competition since they didnt bother to make it much of a glam or eye catching book, but none the less i succumbed to it at dymocks. :p :p

ms.cinderella

HSC
beverly said:
if anyone is looking for some help on RFTG i think i may have a book that might be helpful. it's the only 'study guide' that is out there for this module and has convenient recaps of texts etc. PM me for info
i think there's a study guide by larry grumley

Lil Clutch

HSC
well for 2005, smiths hill high has 3 classes. you should watch out. we're good. hehe. well im not, but we've got alot of good kids. ;)

HSC
N/A
beverly said:
lol yep i believe it is the only one that exists! you can tell there wasnt much competition since they didnt bother to make it much of a glam or eye catching book, but none the less i succumbed to it at dymocks. :p :p
Ah, but is it good?

joe1016

HSC
Warners bay high school is doing RFTG as well.... theres about 12 of us or so.

Go us newcastle schools! sydney ppl seem to be hung up on the other schools doing it but i really cant care less......

im goin for my best....it wont matter who else does the topic cos u cant change a thing anyway

alrani

HSC
International Grammar School...:(
I hate ext 1 with a passion. Can't wait for these exams to be OVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)