Which philosophy units to study in sem 2? (1 Viewer)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
My choices are:

-Intro Logic
- Critical Thinking
-Philosophy of Happiness
- Society, Knowledge and Self.

I can only pick 2 from the above.

I'm limited to these are Intro Logic and Society are junior units, whilst Critical Thinking and Philosophy of Happiness - while being senior units, only require prerequistes of 12 junior credit points university wide, which I have achieved in semester 1.

I'm just worried if I do 12 senior credit points instead of 12 junior credit points - i might not be able to do other senior units in philosophy in 2013 because all the prerequisites state 12 junior credit points in philosophy - but i'd have 12 senior credit points not junior if I do (which I'm leaning towards), Critical Thinking and Philosophy of Happiness.

Thanks for the advice!

ladiesman217_

(V)(°,,°)(V)
HSC
none of them, read philosophy in your own time. don't waste your time and money 'studying' it at university. it isn't something that is 'studied', it is something that is philosophized about and, most important of all, lived.

Last edited:

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
none of them, read philosophy in your own time. don't waste your time and money 'studying' it at university. it isn't something that is 'studied', it is something that is philosophized about and, most important of all, lived.

"While it tends to deal with abstract concepts that often have no immediately obvious practical application, philosophy teaches students some important lessons. Writing essays in philosophy requires you to develop highly structured, logical and coherent arguments: students are able to put forth their own opinions and are not required to provide an extensive bibliography, but in order to do well they must present an argument that fully justifies their contention. Developing this ability has a number of obvious applications: students aiming to become barristers would find it useful in presenting a convincing case to a courtroom; those in the business world would use the ability in developing a business plan that covers every aspect of an issue and be able to give a convincing presentation. Philosophy also opens your mind to new and interesting ideas and perspectives that encourage inventiveness and innovation – an ability valued wherever you choose to work."

http://uniaustralia.com.au/articles...y-you-should-study-a-bachelor-of-arts-degree/

I think studying philosophy is a great choice for me personally. I'm not studying Arts because of the content, I'm studying it because of the skills. I weighed it up considerably when I was choosing an Arts degree or a Commerce degree to complement my Law degree. I went with Arts because I felt Art degrees help you think on your feet - something I wasn't convinced a commerce degree could do.

The question is still open btw - what philosophy unit should I study? :p

ladiesman217_

(V)(°,,°)(V)
HSC
you misunderstood me. if you enjoyed philosophy for its own sake, and not as a mean to an end, you'd know what I meant.

and since you view the philosophic way of thinking as a complement to your law degree I'll suggest intro logic and critical thinking.

witide

HSC
Doing a senior unit will most likely be a suitable substitute for the 12 junior credits prerequisite, however Introductory Logic and Society, Knowledge and Self are foundation units for many senior topics.

Logic is formal and mathematical and not an area that most arts students enjoy, so only take that if you already know what it's about. Society, Knowledge and Self leads on to areas like political philosophy and the philosophy of law, which would be beneficial to your law degree. From what you've written, Critical Thinking seems like the subject you'd most enjoy (I'm also enrolled it in it next semester), but Philosophy of Happiness looks interesting as well. Take a look at the senior topics in philosophy that you'd like to pursue and which junior units would be necessary.

If I were in your situation, I'd take Society, Knowledge and Self and either Introductory Logic (if you're interested or want to do senior logic) or Critical Thinking. Lots of non-philosophy students take Critical Thinking, so you won't be disadvantaged from not having done a lot of philosophy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)