Which one is more effective for Economics? (1 Viewer)

Mata10

HSC
Knowing everything in the syllabus or focusing more on past papers than memorizing everything?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
the syllabus covers every single thing that is to be taught in the subject, whilst past papers just ask questions from most of the topics covered from the syllabus. In the end knowing the syllabus would be better off but having the knowledge both would be best :D

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
You need both. The syllabus is very important as that's all the stuff that might be asked. However reading only notes from the syllabus is not a good substitute for doing past papers, and vice versa.

You need knowledge AND exam technique which can only be done through exam condition practice. I'd say spend some time maximising your syllabus knowledge and then give yourself a past paper for Economics as practice. Good luck with your preparation! :)

Mata10

HSC
I have 3 days to study for economics during the HSC period. So I was thinking, I'd do two days of syllabus study now plus one day during the hsc period and the last two days, just do as many past papers as I can.

chrisman9519

HSC
Law of diminishing marginal returns can help you answer this haha

You can spend your time knowing 100% of the syllabus, with the last 10% or so being the hardest and taking the longest. So much so that learning that final 10% takes the same time as learning the other 90%.

Or you can spend your time cultivating 100% of the exam technique, with the last 10% or so being the hardest and taking the longest. So much so that learning that final 10% takes the same time as learning the other 90%.

Hmm....

Just learn the bottom 90% (or so) for both, splitting your time evenly (or whichever way represents the most balanced cover).

Learn a basic content level for each chapter, memorizing maybe 5 or 6 key stats for each chapter (maybe more for some chapters like trade and financial flows). Then you have a good basis upon which you can do the exam practice.

Otherwise, you can spend the remaining time not doing past papers and learning the intricacies of the content like memorising hundreds of stats, most of which are hardly relevant, or learning the exact process by which Fair Work Australia facilitates dispute resolution cases or taking half a page of notes on the Intergenerational reports.

See the logic?

Mata10

HSC
Aha, pretty interesting way of seeing it. Logical though.

kwu1

HSC
Be familiar with your notes but dedicate most of your time to practicing the papers. After all, there are only so many ways they can rephrase questions that they have recycled for years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)