which majors... (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
hey guys... somebody told me that finance graduates get $70k-90k? Firstly, is this even tru? secondly what does it involve them doing? are they up all night exchangeing shit?

and wat second major is best suited for long term prospects with FINANCE? accounting, economics :S

confused, please help

alman

i doubt those figures are even close - try approx 60% of that...unless you do honours (1st class too) and those figures may be approx rite...finance involves doing all things involved with money flow and staying up all night is a bit stereotypical but if it has to be done, its done...

finance - try it with accounting or corporate law...its not great with economics due to the practical and theoretical shit that keeps turning up

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Yeh Finance with accounting is probably the most popular, and it would also work with Comm Law.
60-70K would be very nice, But as alman said, I think those sort of salaries would only be for Honours graduates. But starting salaries are around high 30's to low 40's for ppl with a Commerce degree.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I'll prolly major in accounting and finance unless I discover that I hate accounting

woohoo, combined law students don't have to do the CLAW units to get cpa accrediation :)

Matthew_152

Originally posted by alman
finance - try it with accounting or corporate law...its not great with economics due to the practical and theoretical shit that keeps turning up
I'm majoring in both economics and accounting....whilst minoring in commercial law...do these go well together?

alman

Originally posted by Matthew_152
I'm majoring in both economics and accounting....whilst minoring in commercial law...do these go well together?
my belief is to make it as practical as it can to your degree...economics is largely theoretical (in my opinion) and will not benefit greatly with accounting (if wanting to do accounting). however, commercial law or finance will go hand-in-hand with accounting..

if other people have their responses, feel free to make them because i am interested in what you want to say :)

aditya

HSC
yeh sorry, they actually told me honours, i just forgot to mention it...

damn com/ law sounds full mad... but 99.6 is crazy... specialli its much harder to get it now than it was 2 or 3 years ago... and itll probably get harder as well....

if it was 99.3 i wuld go for it.. but yeh 99.6 is out of reach.... for me of course..

so like... u dun have to do CLAW to get CPA, wat if u do graduate law? then? after u complete graduate law are u cpa qualified... or nah?

Also wat are expats? how do u become one :D

and like financial bankers? do they have good career prospects?

alman

Originally posted by aditya
yeh sorry, they actually told me honours, i just forgot to mention it...
so like... u dun have to do CLAW to get CPA, wat if u do graduate law? then? after u complete graduate law are u cpa qualified... or nah?

Also wat are expats? how do u become one :D

and like financial bankers? do they have good career prospects?
consult with careers people about graduate law and all that cpa jazz...

expats - just move overseas and you're one automatically...but, i recommend doing a few years in oz first and get a good, basic career foundation..

financial bankers seem to have good career prospects..try to do an internship or get ongoing practical experience....but banking encompasses so much these days that it is actually being broken down into divisions like equity, debt, corporate finance, etc...you get the gist...

note: i am no substitute for official advice, these are all my opinions

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
This is from the CPA website

For associate status:
Commercial Law
CLAW1001 Commercial Transactions A OR
(LAWS1006 Legal Institutions AND
LAWS1002 Contracts)
both LAWS 1006 and LAWS 1002 are compulsory in the combined law course

Professional Accounting Sequence:
Taxation #
CLAW3001 Australian Taxation System OR
(LAWS3047 Personal Taxation AND
LAWS3013 Business Taxation)
These 2 are electives in combined law

Corporations Law
CLAW2001 Corporations Law OR
(LAWS2003 Corporate Law)
Corporate law is compulsory for the LLB at Sydney

As for the UAI, I was praying that I would make it into UTS law the night before the UAI's came out and somehow managed to get into USYD. Just do your best in the HSC and let the rest take care of itself ;)

and the difference between 99.3 and 99.6 really isn't that great, I am almost certain that if a 99.3 person started studying 1 week earlier and had 1 extra hour of sleep the night before one of their hsc exams they would have got 99.6+ :)

santaslayer

HSC
u could always do UOW BCOmm/LLB.....lol
only 91.00 this year.....although it will rise significantly next year...speculation anyway

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Suvat

woohoo, combined law students don't have to do the CLAW units to get cpa accrediation :)
well u have to do the equivalent LAWS subjects anyway!
(i see u have acknowledged this in a later post =)

aditya

HSC
nah 99.3 99.6 is a big difference... check out the UAi calculator to clairfy for urself if u want....its like 1 % in all ur subjects..., but wen ur already getting 95 in each of them its not a matter of studying a week earlier :S

but could be.. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)