Which laptop should i buy? (1 Viewer)

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I'm really bad at understanding specs and all that so if there are any techsavy people out there who could help me decide on which laptop to get, that would be great :) I've narrowed it down to the following:

1) http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/asus-f550ca-xx670h-laptop.html
2) http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Laptops/Performance-Laptops/ACV551G73
3) http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Laptops/Performance-Laptops/SYS300CA

Which one is bang for buck?

If there a laptops/ultrabooks that are better for lower prices, could you please recommend? (I've also been looking at the Macbooks but I have heard you can get better laptops for cheaper).

I'm planning use it for uni and at home (maybe light gaming such as Dota) and am looking for style/portability/long battery life preferably 13" and under $1000!

Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're looking at gaming, you're probably going to want a laptop with a dedicated GPU but that will come at a cost in terms of battery life.

HSC
The Asus ones are pretty good but I would go with a MacBook even though it's slightly over your budget.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Asus are definiately good all rounders but IMO you should build your own desktop at home for much less price.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Asus are definiately good all rounders but IMO you should build your own desktop at home for much less price.
Hardly meets the requirement for portability.

Would recommend the Acer.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
hmm OP should buy a cheap laptop for uni and build a custom rig at home :/

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're looking at gaming, you're probably going to want a laptop with a dedicated GPU but that will come at a cost in terms of battery life.
Would like to add that it will be probably difficult to find something with a screen around 13".

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Asus are pretty good.

I have a Toshiba ultrabook that cost 2k, 2 years ago.

My HP entertainment laptop died on me, I exhausted the machine. Overheat to the point I could fry some eggs on it.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Asus are pretty good.

I have a Toshiba ultrabook that cost 2k, 2 years ago.

My HP entertainment laptop died on me, I exhausted the machine. Overheat to the point I could fry some eggs on it.
HP are atrocious in regards to build quality.

I know that feel too.

Randox

HSC
N/A
MBA...it's worth it. Everything else turns into an oven after 1-2 hours and dies after 5

cjporter97

HSC
Not acer! I've had two acer computers and both have had hardware issues.

pHyRe

HSC
MBa is alright if you can afford it. If you can't get an ultrabook.

Getting an SSD (however small) is probably your top priority imo. A normal hard drive is super slow, and running your OS off that will make the whole computer ordinary in speed, especially after some months. An SSD is super super fast, far less prone to breaking and generally awesome. Unfortunately, they are also expensive. So i'd recomend getting a small one like 20-100gb just for your OS and programs and put your movies/music onto the normal hard drive that should come with it (~500GB-1TB)

Ultrabooks all have a similar set up, as do the newer macs. I dont think any of the ones youve selected have SSD or are ultrabooks. A good ultrabook will probably run you a bit more, ~1000 dollars. (or much more if you want) but it's worth it for the portability/battery life. Unfortunately few come with dedicated graphics cards, making gaming very poor.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
MBA...it's worth it. Everything else turns into an oven after 1-2 hours and dies after 5
yeah bro, macbook air is great for dota

and their specs are well represented by their price

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Would get this if I randomly found $3k on the street.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
Dota is not light gaming..... that said, I picked up a Dell Inspiron 15r special edition 2 years ago and its still blazing fast for all my entertainment needs. You can ask me for specs later. Generally avoid HP, asus is ok but build quality is sometimes questionable, toshiba is sturdy, but the parts they use are questionable as well as the price. Dell is quite good, except for the support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)