• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

which job pays better for a 16-17yo? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i know it's way too early but i'm planning to get a part time job in the next holidays. but i need to know what is the pay and job experience is like for anyone working as a receptionist, fast food worker(hungry jacks and kfc) or a shop assistant (in a fashion shop, pharmacy, gras bros, kmart or coles)?

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
i'd personally prefer to work as a shop assistant cuz there's less messy work (cleaning up after ppl eating at maccas) not such a good working environment at burger chains. i think a shop assistant would earn more

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
prostitution , but i guess ur not legal age so...id say coles =p
Prostitution is an illegal act no matter what age you are....

Each store has its own rate....for larger ones they are negotiated by the SDA, but usually aren't much more than the minimum rates set out by the government.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
realise you wont get a job as you click your fingers, it will take time

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
im guessing that ur going into year 12 if you are 16-17
fashion shops, grace brothers and pharmacies dont usually hire people at school because they need people working during the day time (as they close at 5pm)
my friends who work at mcdonalds say its fun because they are all really good friends and they can make it fun (you get free food on ur breaks? and half price if u buy anything from ur shop)
i work at woolworths and its good.. alot more room for changing what you do (different departments) as opposed to cleaning cooking or serving at a fast food chain
i recommend a supermarket or shop like kmart target or big w because during year 12 you need flexibility (exams assessments etc) and you can work weekdays (because they close at midnight)(woolies and coles do..)
as a fast food worker they stop giving u many shifts after u have a birthday.. which could be better going into the hsc but the job wont last too long (unless ur a manager or something)
a receptionist would be good (my friend does it in a doctors surgery) if you can do it once/twice a week.. but its hard to get out of if u need a couple of weeks off and many places need receptionists for every day
usually your careers notice board at school should have places that are looking for school students

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
realise you wont get a job as you click your fingers, it will take time
So true!

People think they can find jobs easily and quickly yea rite.. puhaha.

If i was you, i would go for any job.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It's really not that bad to work in food... people seem to think it's messy and horrible, but it really isn't that bad. Where I work, drunks throw food about and stuff but it isn't that terrible....

I'm pretty experienced at making coffees, so I will be looking for a job in a coffee shop or as a barista.... how much do you think I could earn per hour?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
depends how old you are, if you are 16-17 your looking at less than $11 ish an hour for a casual i guess. and yeah ive been reading alot of these posts about jobs and alot of people are being really picky about types of jobs and the pay rate. you wont get anywhere if you keep looking for somewhere with high wages because they'll probaly hire someone more experienced than someone looking for their first holiday job! best thing to do is settle with a shitty yet decent job and continue looking for a better job. that way you will still be earning money and then if you find a job you can jump straight into it and continue the income flow.

Sasky

HSC
I've worked at a cafe/pattiserie, Woolworths and now at a local council library. I get paid the most at the library - $12.02/hr - but I only work two hours a week (or 3 in the holidays) so I can keep track of school work.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
It's really not that bad to work in food... people seem to think it's messy and horrible, but it really isn't that bad. Where I work, drunks throw food about and stuff but it isn't that terrible....
Exactly. I've worked at both McDonalds and Red Rooster and its not that bad. It provides you with a lot of hours and gives you a fair amount of money. The only reason I left McDonalds was because it was too hard to work 35 hours a week and do well in the hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)