Which is the easier transfer?? (1 Viewer)

wil123

HSC
Hey guys,
I'm just about to lock in my preferences and have decided that my first option would be to try and get into a combined law degree at UNSW. The dilemma i face is that i'm not eligible for direct entry with a UAI of 96.3 with last years cut off being 99.3. UNSW says if i get a 75 WAM (distinction average) for the first year in a commerce degree i'll be guaranteed a position in combined law the 2nd year.

So my question is whether i have a better chance of achieving this result at UNSW or USYD? As in which has the easier subjects/markers first year etc.
Or am i best off accepting a combined law degree at UTS or Maq. then trying to transfer to NSW from there. Some lady from the uni told me its recommended that i start in UNSW if i want a transfer. Anybody been in this position or have any opinions on the matter??

Best Regards,
Will

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
start of in a degree you want to do, as getting DN average is not easy.

comm/law at UTS or MQ, then you can get the credits for the law subjects you done in first year.

otherwise UNSW law may take another 5 years if you take on a plain b.comm course

Last edited:

spence

HSC
rcr4fags said:
start of in a degree you want to do, as getting DN average is not easy.

comm/law at UTS or MQ, then you can get the credits for the law subjects you done in first year.

otherwise UNSW law may take another 5 years if you take on a plain b.comm course
Agreed with that, as you don't know whether you'll get the marks for a transfer, and this way you'll at least be in a law course

wil123

HSC
spence said:
Agreed with that, as you don't know whether you'll get the marks for a transfer, and this way you'll at least be in a law course
Point taken. The thing is i know i am a hard worker and can put my head down for one year.. The catch is i haven't been to uni before to experience the difficulty involved in achieving a distinction average first hand.
Will a transfer from UTS require the same result (i.e D average)? That's something they really don't like to talk about. They encourage me to do commerce at their uni. The way I thought of it is that at the end of the day its a business, so they're gonna want my money, given the opportunity to transfer from UTS.

mrated96

higginsl
HSC
wil123 said:
Hey guys,
I'm just about to lock in my preferences and have decided that my first option would be to try and get into a combined law degree at UNSW. The dilemma i face is that i'm not eligible for direct entry with a UAI of 96.3 with last years cut off being 99.3. UNSW says if i get a 75 WAM (distinction average) for the first year in a commerce degree i'll be guaranteed a position in combined law the 2nd year.

So my question is whether i have a better chance of achieving this result at UNSW or USYD? As in which has the easier subjects/markers first year etc.
Or am i best off accepting a combined law degree at UTS or Maq. then trying to transfer to NSW from there. Some lady from the uni told me its recommended that i start in UNSW if i want a transfer. Anybody been in this position or have any opinions on the matter??

Best Regards,
Will
Hold on. UNSW says if you get a 75 WAM and GO TO unsw then you can get in - ie INTERNAL transfer

Furthermore, 75 WAM does not= distinction average if you go thru UAC, ie do an external transfer, which is what you would need to do if you go to Sydney, or UTS or any other uni . "Distinction average" refers to GPA average; where HD=7, D=6, Cred=5, P=4... , which is much harder to get then a 75 WAM

( ie, i personally got 2 74's (which are credits, 1 off distinction), and ended up with a gpa of 5.75 (High credit average) , but a WAM of 78 - so my 74's were treated as 65 for the purposes of me being judged on external transfer).

Basically, i recommend (REALLY recommend) you go to UNSW and work your tail off. 75 wam is V easy if you work hard (and scab notes off friends in the year above), esp. as you can compensate for shitness in subject A by killing subject B - you don't have to be THAT consistent. Furthermore, internal transfers are much more flexible, and if you just miss out you can totally talk your way in; its completely up to some person in the university. If you do an external transfer through UAC, nobody cares about you and your story, your marks are just your number that you are judged on.

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
i would check on the internal transfer. i thought all transfers was through UAC, in which case you would compete EQUALLY with all other transfer students based on GPA and also school leavers based.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
rcr4fags said:
i would check on the internal transfer. i thought all transfers was through UAC, in which case you would compete EQUALLY with all other transfer students based on GPA and also school leavers based.
Most transfers (especially for Combined Law) are done via the UAC. However, when I went to the Information Day yesterday for UNSW, they are introducing this new scheme next year where if you complete a course at their university, they give you some leeway as to how you can internally transfer. From what I remember, if you have an average mark between 70-75+ and also a UAI between 95.25 and 96, you would have a reasonable chance for a UNSW internal transfer from let's say a B.Com to a B.Com/LLB.

However as mentioned before, since UAC only deals with external transfers your averages are useless even though you may have gotten two 74's as your mark, but with regards to GPA scores, they are considered as 65's. Really sucks doesn't it.

So basically, if you want to get into UNSW Combined Law, either go to UNSW and apply for a place in a degree which you know you'll get good marks and then apply for a transfer at the end of this year. However if you really have a flaming passion for Law, go apply for UTS, Macquarie and ANU. I know how it feels, why you may ask, because I'm trying to transfer as well :spin:

Last edited:

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
try it out, phone them up say you are a CURRENT b.com student and want to transfer to combined law. ask them what do i need to do.

see if they tell u to apply thru uac or you can do internally.

anyway all the transfer rules should be setout in thier handbook. ask them to direct you to where it specifies you can do an internal transfer.

wil123

HSC
What i dont get is the difference between GPA and WAM. They told me i need a WAM of 75+ for a GUARANTEED internal transfer under the new scheme. Whats with the GPA talk and 74s coming down to 65s?? Does this mean ill need 80s to get in :'(

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
WAM is simply the average of your unit marks. Eg. if in one semester you get 74 (C), 81 (D), 76 (D) and 69 (C). 74 + 81 + 76 + 69 = 300. 300/4 = WAM of 75.

GPA would simply be 5 + 5 + 6 + 6 = 22. 22/4 = 5.5.

Thus with a 75 WAM you could claim to have a 'distinction average'. Despite the fact you do not have a distinction average (5.5 as opposed to 6) on your GPA.

In summary WAM>GPA. From a criteria perspective.

wil123

HSC
whatashotbyseve said:
WAM is simply the average of your unit marks. Eg. if in one semester you get 74 (C), 81 (D), 76 (D) and 69 (C). 74 + 81 + 76 + 69 = 300. 300/4 = WAM of 75.

GPA would simply be 5 + 5 + 6 + 6 = 22. 22/4 = 5.5.

Thus with a 75 WAM you could claim to have a 'distinction average'. Despite the fact you do not have a distinction average (5.5 as opposed to 6) on your GPA.

In summary WAM>GPA. From a criteria perspective.
Thanx heaps.. That clears it up a lot. Does anybody know how achievable these sorts of marks are in a commerce degree at UNSW??

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
how long is a peice of string really.

to get WAM of 75 for some people its impossible no matter what

for other people it is a stroll in the park.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Just make sure you need at least a 76 in all your subjects at university. That way when it's time to calculate the GPA, you'll have a GPA of 6. Even a Credit will make your GPA go down a lot.

GPA = fail. WAM = better system, just my two cents.

wil123

HSC
Righto boys, preferences in and all locked up. I put commerce at UNSW before combined law at UTS, and i should get in. Now i gotta work at that 75 WAM :read:

Just want to thank all for your help. Cheers!

JDurrant

HSC
I've put Arts at UNSW above Law at UTS or Wollongong and am gonna work my ass off hoping for a transfer. If not tho, will just complete Graduate Law (which will be a juris doctor) at UNSW. Anyone know how this is different to a LLB?

spence

HSC
JDurrant said:
I've put Arts at UNSW above Law at UTS or Wollongong and am gonna work my ass off hoping for a transfer. If not tho, will just complete Graduate Law (which will be a juris doctor) at UNSW. Anyone know how this is different to a LLB?
Pretty sure a JD is the same as an LLB, might be more expensive though

wil123

HSC
Sorry to revive this, but reading back, I just got a bit confused. 'Mrated96' says he got two 74's but his WAM (78) is obviously not an average of his marks.. For some reason its increased :S
On the other hand, 'whatashotbyseve' reckons a WAM mark is a straight average??
Can someone please clear this up. Cheers.

spence

HSC
wil123 said:
Sorry to revive this, but reading back, I just got a bit confused. 'Mrated96' says he got two 74's but his WAM (78) is obviously not an average of his marks.. For some reason its increased :S
On the other hand, 'whatashotbyseve' reckons a WAM mark is a straight average??
Can someone please clear this up. Cheers.
WAM is a straight average. The 74's weren't his only marks

K

ken098

TehAzner said:
Most transfers (especially for Combined Law) are done via the UAC. However, when I went to the Information Day yesterday for UNSW, they are introducing this new scheme next year where if you complete a course at their university, they give you some leeway as to how you can internally transfer. From what I remember, if you have an average mark between 70-75+ and also a UAI between 95.25 and 96, you would have a reasonable chance for a UNSW internal transfer from let's say a B.Com to a B.Com/LLB.

However as mentioned before, since UAC only deals with external transfers your averages are useless even though you may have gotten two 74's as your mark, but with regards to GPA scores, they are considered as 65's. Really sucks doesn't it.

So basically, if you want to get into UNSW Combined Law, either go to UNSW and apply for a place in a degree which you know you'll get good marks and then apply for a transfer at the end of this year. However if you really have a flaming passion for Law, go apply for UTS, Macquarie and ANU. I know how it feels, why you may ask, because I'm trying to transfer as well :spin:
Are you serious?? Who told you this?? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)