• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which is the best private school? have your say. (1 Viewer)

Which is the best private school?

• MLC School Sydney

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Trinity Grammar School

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Newington College

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Scots College

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • The Kings School

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Ascham

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Pymble Ladies\' College

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Abbotsleigh

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Knox Grammar School

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Ravenswood

Votes: 17 7.5%

• Total voters

chait

I'm not surprised.. :) They've [Sydney Grammar] also produced quite a number of students who have gone on to become Rhodes Scholars...

so yes, they are the best performing private school. That's b/c fees aren't the only barrier to enrolment, academic abilities are too. There's more diversity of academic abilities at most other pvt schools. Given this, it's impressive that some of the other schools listed in the poll can consistently have over 50% of their yr 12 students achieving 90+ UAI

Last edited:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Private schools...
We ain't got no money to pay to go to a private school.:p
The scaling system is always gouing to be dodgy. Who knows which school's really the best from exam marks? To actually get an accurate assessment with multiple exams would cost too much money to run.

'5' people with UAI 100? Isn't there only, like 16 or so...?

kaseita

Originally posted by Duckman
well all barker ppl should feel very insulted u put KNOX as an OPTION, WELL WHERE THE HELL IS BARKER
That's just cause we rule! :D

but nevertheless we still suck :rolleyes:

as if I'd vote for my own school. I'm glad I'm outta there! no more stupid uniform inspections, boaters, and snobbish yr9s to annoy me.

and as for the apple chapel...urgh, very glad I'm outta there! but man, that's like 10yrs old already! get over it!
went through north sydney a few months ago, to play some inter-school chess. had people shouting it at us the whole half hour walk, from like 5 different schools. .
I'm sure at least one of you were there!:mad1:

kaseita

Originally posted by BlackJack
Private schools...
We ain't got no money to pay to go to a private school.:p
The scaling system is always gouing to be dodgy. Who knows which school's really the best from exam marks? To actually get an accurate assessment with multiple exams would cost too much money to run.

'5' people with UAI 100? Isn't there only, like 16 or so...?
yea something like that. pretty freaky, its like syd grammar and james ruse divide it up like a cake, and the rest hopefully get the crumbs. what other schools perform that high?

chait

Originally posted by kaseita

as if I'd vote for my own school. I'm glad I'm outta there! no more stupid uniform inspections, boaters, and snobbish yr9s to annoy me.

hehe totally know how u feel. we have random uniform inspections which sometimes manage to get leaked, so everyone comes prepared anyway. the hat, I've gotten a few detentions for not wearing it... talk abt wasted afternoons.. the yr 9s, yes ours are just like that - I think the yr 9s are going thru a phase, but they don't get much better in yr 10 either....:)
I remember getting a detention for not having round eyelets on my shoes! - they were hexagonal, so i had to buy a new pair of shoes (this was a few yrs back). :mad:

I'm just happy that the HSC is almost over! :)

Last edited:

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
LISA! where is barker!!??!

i know there's only 10 options.

but you dont need ravenswood there~~ cos we all know its bad anyway

ehehehe

ps do u go to PLC by any chance?

kaseita

Originally posted by chait

hehe totally know how u feel. we have random uniform inspections which sometimes manage to get leaked, so everyone comes prepared anyway. the hat, I've gotten a few detentions for not wearing it... talk abt wasted afternoons.. the yr 9s, yes ours are just like that - I think the yr 9s are going thru a phase, but they don't get much better in yr 10 either....:)
I remember getting a detention for not having round eyelets on my shoes! - they were hexagonal, so i had to buy a new pair of shoes (this was a few yrs back). :mad:

I'm just happy that the HSC is almost over! :)
our school used to tell us what week they were going to have these random inspections, but now they've given up. just told us what day they were going to do it, so you just came prepared. it's the dodgiest system ever. almost got a DT for my boater, cause I refused to buy a new one or repair the one I had, for like the past 6yrs :p. its like a mini top hat now...with a ton of holes and the top of it collapsing hehe. pissed off the teacher who was helping the student do the gate inspection because of it, and also because I "forgot" to doff my boater at the gate, but since I knew the guy, got my name off the list.
but your people sound much harsher than ours. if we're not wearing our boater, we just get a mini-lecture, told to put it on, and then we walk on. the shoes, yeesh that's harsh. sounds like something back in the ol'cadet years, where if your brass isn't shiny enough, you get a DP.
ahh but its gone. never again! I can be as slack as I like, and not care a thing! private schools are far too strict and traditional.

chait

our school used to tell us what week they were going to have these random inspections, but now they've given up. just told us what day they were going to do it, so you just came prepared. it's the dodgiest system ever. almost got a DT for my boater, cause I refused to buy a new one or repair the one I had, for like the past 6yrs :p. its like a mini top hat now...with a ton of holes and the top of it collapsing hehe. pissed off the teacher who was helping the student do the gate inspection because of it, and also because I "forgot" to doff my boater at the gate, but since I knew the guy, got my name off the list.
but your people sound much harsher than ours. if we're not wearing our boater, we just get a mini-lecture, told to put it on, and then we walk on. the shoes, yeesh that's harsh. sounds like something back in the ol'cadet years, where if your brass isn't shiny enough, you get a DP.
ahh but its gone. never again! I can be as slack as I like, and not care a thing! private schools are far too strict and traditional.
hehe.. yeh MLC has loosened up a bit now! that shoe incident was in yr 7 or 8.. got called into the Head of junior School's office w/ a few others, and she went through each of us one by one.. not a good thing 4 a lil yr 7 girl to go thru.. lol... it's not like that anymore though..:)
are u a prefect? i have to admit i've given out a few DTs, once i gave 7 out in one afternoon! no choice cos a teacher was supervising. i dun mind giving them to certain yr9s and 10s though lol u can also get DTs for bad behaviour in public (eating, drinking etc)
if we're not wearing our hats we usually just get told to put them on- and lectured of course, if u don't have it then u get a DT. but i've been given one for not wearing it ( i was holding it) when they decided to have a 'crackdown'.

yay.. no more hats and crazy rules! i agree pvt schools do go a bit overboard.. they REALLY care about image and reputation..

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by stressed02

haha woohoooo thanks buddy :p
glad SOMEONE likes us....!
nps!

I think most boys on the North Shore would agree with me!

I know most of the Pius boys do, plus I work with some ex-Ravenswood chicks.........

kaseita

Originally posted by chait

are u a prefect? i have to admit i've given out a few DTs, once i gave 7 out in one afternoon! no choice cos a teacher was supervising. i dun mind giving them to certain yr9s and 10s though lol u can also get DTs for bad behaviour in public (eating, drinking etc)
if we're not wearing our hats we usually just get told to put them on- and lectured of course, if u don't have it then u get a DT. but i've been given one for not wearing it ( i was holding it) when they decided to have a 'crackdown'.

yay.. no more hats and crazy rules! i agree pvt schools do go a bit overboard.. they REALLY care about image and reputation..
nah, not a prefect. I could've easily been one if I wanted, since I hold positions of authority already, but its not a very attractive position anymore. I did monitor duty in yr11 just to get a little experience, and I ended up with the biggest and roughest area...and had to do it myself! It was lucky enough that most of them listened to me, but apart from that, I figured if I became prefect, I'd better more of that idiocy...since my area was mostly yr9s :p.
our prefects only get DT books at those inspections, which is the dodgiest thing of all! If they'd gotten the DT books, I would've gone for prefect, but since they don't, they're really just puppets. not many people listen to them, or respect them, and the prefects can't really do much about it, since they have to go through all this red tape just to get one guy a detention. its crazy...

hehe, ravenswoods meant to be our sister school, and I've never met a single person from there in my life :p

SPX

Alright I'll admit it. Maybe I'm just jealous although some of your chicks are fat but yeah some are quite..um..lets just say hot but some of them are so snobby and they have those hats on and stick their noses up in the air and you can't even see their eyes! But yeah I'm pretty jealous because you girls score so high in exams, do sport and extracurricular and are beautiful too!!! What is up with that...I mean come on you have it all except that you act like snobs. But yeah our school has a few kids like that and (I'm one of them thank you very much...after hard work of course) they are really competitive.

But I don't mind Ravenswood girls that much, I catch the bus at Gordon Station and see them all the time. So sorry if I offeneded you trust me we haven't got that much against you.

So what grade is your brother in?

stressed02

hahahaha how funny....
I must admit, there ARE snobs at my school, but hey, it's a private school - and i dont know of any private school where there are NO snobby people...! especially at an all girls school !

yeah, we do score pretty well in the HSC, and this year certainly won't be any different, thanks to those 'smart' people which are prominent in my grade! hehe... but i mean i didn't particularly like my school - and am glad that i only have to go back for a total of (2) more times.. which is good. So yeah haha i dont know what i'm going on about but basically i'm agreeing with you i think.. haha

older brother left 2 years ago, and younger one is in year 8. and i have a few cousins there as well...

my parents constantly tell me that SPX is a much better school than mine, apparantly your teachers are very good and helpful and stuff, whereas mine ... hmm well some of them are pretty bad... some are nice though.

chait

nah, not a prefect. I could've easily been one if I wanted, since I hold positions of authority already, but its not a very attractive position anymore. I did monitor duty in yr11 just to get a little experience, and I ended up with the biggest and roughest area...and had to do it myself! It was lucky enough that most of them listened to me, but apart from that, I figured if I became prefect, I'd better more of that idiocy...since my area was mostly yr9s :p.

hehe, ravenswoods meant to be our sister school, and I've never met a single person from there in my life :p
yeh i agree prefects are becoming less respected.. everyone was 'scared' of them when I was in yr 7. some girls do speak back now(mainly yr 9&10), then u report them to their Head of School and they get another DT for insolence! the Prefect system at MLC is different to most Schools, cos they aren't chosen by popular vote.. ppl could apply for Senior prefect or House prefect, although u have to be a HP to be a SP.. we had to submit portfolios showing our leadership skills.. too much paperwork!:)

Ravenswood is your sis school as well?!:) i didn't know Ravenswood was our sister school until this yr... it's weird cos i don't think we do much together, i don't know anyone from there either..:) only thought we had a brother school-newington..

:) ;) :D

chait

Originally posted by ~QuEEN_VoDkA~

And dont even get me started on the train ride to school w/ trinity, PLC, newington, MLC, Santa Sabina, St Mary's Cathedral... i want to get this clear... that is MY TRAIN YOU CATCH IN THE MORNINGS!!! :chainsaw: thank you for your time...
lol

y wat happens on the trains??which skool do u go to? :)

Last edited:

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
ravenswood are MOSTLY snobby bitches... and most girls that go to all girls schools are skanks... whats wrong with the public system..? at least we dont have to wear hats and blazers everyday. jeans suit me fine! but if i had to choose a private school it'd be SCECGS Redlands all the way :D

stressed02

i can kind of see your point.... but then again, i dont know how many Ravenswood girls you know... so it may have just been a passing comment, but i mean i dont think we are snobby out of school.. i just meant some people can be snobby in the way they act in school.

I actually dont mind wearing a hat and blazer, i think it looks good when you're out in public... and the reason private schools MAY seem snobby is because most schools obsessed with image and money.. you get used to it.. haha ah well no more school yay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)