Which intro GOVT subject should I choose? (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
I'm looking for a filler subject as I have 6 spare cps to use up and the GOVT subjects look interesting. Are GOVT subjects anything like ECOP1001 for those who have done both (not in terms of content, but in the way diverse thinking is embraced)?

I'm choosing between these three intro GOVT subjects:

GOVT1104 - Power in Society
GOVT1202 - World Politics
GOVT1406 - International Business and Politics

Which one would you say was easiest/most interesting/had the best lecturer?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
All i will say is do NOT do GOVT1406 - International Business and Politics.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Power in Society - sounds like a joke, a friend of mine who did it swears they spent more time comparing the sizes of beards between thinkers than anything to do with power.

In. Business - heard bad things about it, namely about Jarvis, but also about the way the assessments were structured.

World Pol - ok if you can stand Gil Merom - he's in the either people love him or hate him. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium. The subject itself is a good overview to theoretical Political Science.

bustinjustin

HSC
Just had my first World Politics lecture today with Gil Merom - I'm sure he means well and is a nice enough guy, but, accent aside, the man lit. needs to take a leaf out of a book like that of Frank Stilwell. He could also start by giving us a break during the 2 hour lecture. However, the man's tres smart - didn't talk about pressing administrative issues and the unit outline until the very end, and probably didn't give us a break because he probably sensed an imminent mass exodus from his lecture. But it would've been nice if he got to the point, and if he had a lot more important and relevants to make in the first place.

That said, the course content is rather interesting and relevant, and I'm not rushing to Power in Society or International Business either, but the overall awfulness of junior GOVT units does get me down a little bit and compels me to reconsider doing senior GOVT...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes, no one should do govt1406 ever. worst. sub. ever.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
people always knock Power In Society... but if you have any kind of interest in broader social issues (think: refugees, womens' rights, power of the media, etc) then you will most likely find it interesting and easy.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
...but women aren't mean to have rights. and blake i think i already sold it :(

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
bustinjustin said:
Just had my first World Politics lecture today with Gil Merom - I'm sure he means well and is a nice enough guy, but, accent aside, the man lit. needs to take a leaf out of a book like that of Frank Stilwell. He could also start by giving us a break during the 2 hour lecture. However, the man's tres smart - didn't talk about pressing administrative issues and the unit outline until the very end, and probably didn't give us a break because he probably sensed an imminent mass exodus from his lecture. But it would've been nice if he got to the point, and if he had a lot more important and relevants to make in the first place.

That said, the course content is rather interesting and relevant, and I'm not rushing to Power in Society or International Business either, but the overall awfulness of junior GOVT units does get me down a little bit and compels me to reconsider doing senior GOVT...
Yes, all the first year goverenment subjects are rather uninspiring. I too thought I was doomed and seriously re-considered not taking a GOVT major. But my crappy marks in ECOP kind of compelled me too and its paid off - second year Government is FAR more interesting and comprehensive.

bustinjustin

HSC
ujuphleg said:
Yes, all the first year goverenment subjects are rather uninspiring. I too thought I was doomed and seriously re-considered not taking a GOVT major. But my crappy marks in ECOP kind of compelled me too and its paid off - second year Government is FAR more interesting and comprehensive.
Oh good to hear, that gives me hope. Moreover, Darryl Jervis is no longer taking GOVT1406 - John Brookefield is, so Darryl is no longer a reason not to take GOVT1406. But one glance at the Unit Outline reveals a ridiculous requirement of 3 written assignments (a total of approx. 3000 words) as well as an exam (forgot if there was a tute participation mark - I had access to it on Blackboard for a day, until IT caught up with my enrolment changes).

Ah well, I'm sticking to World Politics - can't really change now that I've bought the reader. I actually don't find it that interesting, and whatever aspects of it I was interested in (International Political Economy) is covered more comprehensively by ECOP1003 (whose lecturer is a lot more coherent, quirky and English, a bit like Stilwell, but only a little). The only thing that's keeping me sane is PHIL1010 and er, Asian Studies (my tutor is a former diplomat, madness!).

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
bustinjustin said:
Oh good to hear, that gives me hope. Moreover, Darryl Jervis is no longer taking GOVT1406 - John Brookefield is, so Darryl is no longer a reason not to take GOVT1406. But one glance at the Unit Outline reveals a ridiculous requirement of 3 written assignments (a total of approx. 3000 words) as well as an exam (forgot if there was a tute participation mark - I had access to it on Blackboard for a day, until IT caught up with my enrolment changes).

Ah well, I'm sticking to World Politics - can't really change now that I've bought the reader. I actually don't find it that interesting, and whatever aspects of it I was interested in (International Political Economy) is covered more comprehensively by ECOP1003 (whose lecturer is a lot more coherent, quirky and English, a bit like Stilwell, but only a little). The only thing that's keeping me sane is PHIL1010 and er, Asian Studies (my tutor is a former diplomat, madness!).

3000 words isn't much. I'm doing a subject with 8500 words of written work. 1000 of which was due the first week.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
melbournian said:
3000 words isn't much. I'm doing a subject with 8500 words of written work. 1000 of which was due the first week.
True, but for a first year subject, 3000 looks like a lot to them, especially when you consider that coming straight out of the HSC, subjects like Extension History let you have the whole year to write 2500 words...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
we had 4500 words within 5 weeks to submit (three papers) for that sub

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)