Which HSC physics textbook is better? (1 Viewer)

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Hey, I'm about to start year 12 and wanted to buy a physics textbook (or 2) to start studying.

So far, I have Jacaranda but I wanted more just to make sure I'm not missing out on any other information.
Which one is better out of this list (please give reasons):
1. Physics in Focus (I have bio in focus prelim and it has a great set out)
2. In2 Physics (I have the prelim one and it has some information that Jacaranda doesnt have)
3. Physics Context
4. Excel or Macquarie (any worth buying these?)
5. Any other that hasn't been listed

Also, I failed my prac tests this year so I was wondering if there's any good books that have detailed pracs including methods. I could get Dot Point Practical Investigations or maybe a Teachers Resource of a book that contains all the pracs (The In2 Practical version is pretty good as my teacher uses it for pracs)

Last thing, which publisher is better for past HSC questions in terms of quality of the solutions?

Thanks for your help :)

muzeikchun852

HSC
I used most of these textbooks for prelim and I think jacaranda is the best one. if you are looking for prac I think excel isn't too bad for prac, but the content isn't as good as jacaranda, so maybe you can just go to the school/local library and copy the prac.

K

khorne

Jacaranda is what I used last year and it was fine. There's some really good online physics sites too, which are worth checking out if you don't get a concept. I'll write up a list if you're keen.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Jacaranda is what I used last year and it was fine. There's some really good online physics sites too, which are worth checking out if you don't get a concept. I'll write up a list if you're keen.
That would be great :)

I used most of these textbooks for prelim and I think jacaranda is the best one. if you are looking for prac I think excel isn't too bad for prac, but the content isn't as good as jacaranda, so maybe you can just go to the school/local library and copy the prac.
Do you know anything about Macquaries practicals? I'm aware that the new Excels have pracs as well. Would it just be better getting this book: http://www.hi.com.au/bookstore/bmoredetail.asp?idval=2448/6057/42358

Last edited:

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL if you look at the sample pages for the in2Physics Activity Book, the graph paper is so dodge. Some grids have 9 squares and some have 11 ==;
Personally I remember reading Macquarie ages ago and thinking it was really crap, but that could just be me. in2Physics a lot of schools use, and it looks all pretty and shit but I think that Physics in Focus is probably the best of the lot.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
LOL if you look at the sample pages for the in2Physics Activity Book, the graph paper is so dodge. Some grids have 9 squares and some have 11 ==;
Haha, yeah, it does too. Still, it seems pretty decent to me for under 30 bucks for a detailed outline for each of the pracs (+I think it has answers for all those questions). And I'm considering in buying Physics in Focus as I loved the Bio version of it.
What about for past papers, is Odlum & Garner better than Success One?
I'm not considering buying Surfing Physics, but is it any worth borrowing it for note-taking?

Last edited:

o_0

HSC
my personal opinion... i found that Physics in Focus was by far the most coherent textbook to work by. that said, jacaranda and in2physics aren't bad, its just that they have so much irrelevant information which will only waste time.

my advice is to learn from physics in focus, and in areas which you struggle in, reinforce with excel. i suggest you don't rely on notes made by other people..

good luck nigga

Aetherrrr

HSC
N/A
my personal opinion... i found that Physics in Focus was by far the most coherent textbook to work by. that said, jacaranda and in2physics aren't bad, its just that they have so much irrelevant information which will only waste time.

my advice is to learn from physics in focus, and in areas which you struggle in, reinforce with excel. i suggest you don't rely on notes made by other people..

+1

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Currently beginning my Year 12 studies I am finding Physics in Focus more use friendly but lacking in full detail which I think it is good since it would get the student to do further research. Jacaranda is very detailed, I like their pretty colours too. In2Physics is good although with some parts deviating from the syllabus.

interesting

HSC
N/A
Currently beginning my Year 12 studies I am finding Physics in Focus more use friendly but lacking in full detail which I think it is good since it would get the student to do further research. Jacaranda is very detailed, I like their pretty colours too. In2Physics is good although with some parts deviating from the syllabus.
do you reckon jacaranda goes too indepth and out of the syllabus? or is it perfect and it covers every dotpoint

o_0

HSC
study physics in focus first - it's the easiest to understand the concepts,
then move onto excel or jacaranda

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
It really depends how in depth you want to go.

PIF is well organised and coherent, but introduces a lot of stuff without any background info and it is often difficult to make links between certain conceptsbecause of this.
I find In2 Physics has a lot of the background info which aids in understanding at the higher level, but again a great deal of it is irrelevant and far beyond what is required by the syllabus (which is what happens when you get university lecturers writing HSC textbooks!)
If you can differentiate between what is helpful and what is not required at all, then In2 Physics is a great textbook. PIF is more of a general textbook, by dotpoint and doesn't really link concepts well.

Generally, when I get my students to write their own notes I advise to go:
- Physics in Focus (general overview of concept)
- In2 Physics (for more in depth, and usually prettier diagrams)
- Romesh Abesuriya's notes
- Various other sets of notes I hand out

mathemalia

HSC
hi,

if you listen to me, the most efficient way to study for physics isnt through textbooks, they waste your time, jacaranda or excel. i've got 2 textbooks, total waste most of the time.

find some good notes on the internet, like two or 3 sets, so you can cross check and make sure you got everything...you'll save so much time with the notes instead of reading the bs the textbooks have

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
It really depends how in depth you want to go.

PIF is well organised and coherent, but introduces a lot of stuff without any background info and it is often difficult to make links between certain conceptsbecause of this.
I find In2 Physics has a lot of the background info which aids in understanding at the higher level, but again a great deal of it is irrelevant and far beyond what is required by the syllabus (which is what happens when you get university lecturers writing HSC textbooks!)
If you can differentiate between what is helpful and what is not required at all, then In2 Physics is a great textbook. PIF is more of a general textbook, by dotpoint and doesn't really link concepts well.

Generally, when I get my students to write their own notes I advise to go:
- Physics in Focus (general overview of concept)
- In2 Physics (for more in depth, and usually prettier diagrams)
- Romesh Abesuriya's notes
- Various other sets of notes I hand out
Thanks man. Imma go buy focus and in2 :) Do you think the practical manual is useful?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)