which ext2 study day? (1 Viewer)

HayleeKate

HSC
I've got info off my teacher about study days for ext2.. the most prominent being the TSD at Macquarie Uni, already discussed a bit in the 'big names in 05' thread, which is Friday 22 July, and the 4th July day at University of Sydney...
No one else at my school seems very interested in going to either but I definately am. Living 6 hours away and with no family or friends in Sydney makes it impossible for me to make it to both, I'm unsure as to which is most suitable.

Macquarie: I've heard this one is the best, BUT would involve missing 2 days of school a week before my trial exams
Uni of Syd: Covers all maths sectors.. helping me with both ext1 and ext2 and 4th July is in school holidays meaning I dont miss classes...

I'm undecided.. if Macquarie is really the better its possibly worth going to despite other factors leaning towards uni of syd.

Anyone been to/going to either study days... what's your opinion? Are there any other good ones I'm not aware of?

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
what are these study days?
I think they should be during september because then everyone has done every subject..
ATM alot of people are all over the place (except for complex numbers)

are these like official study days set by uni's or its something set up by school nerds?
how come no one has told me at my school..

If is a proper day and there is teachers etc i will go

i live about 15 min away from macquarie uni
and 30 min to sydney
so easy...

Trev

stix
HSC
6 hours, a bit longer than that isn't it, since from Port. it's like 5?!
I went down to these Usyd Lectures (Ed Assist) that went from monday-thursday in the summer holidays with 2 friends and their mum and it wasn't that beneficial. It wasn't for extension 2, but the total trip's cost was (~350 for lectures, ~400 accommodation (paying a quarter/third can't remember, it would be less for you though since it's only one day, is it not?), and other money for food and whatnot) and I didn't think it was worth it. Was fun going to Syd without my parents though....lol.
Anyway, my point is, I don't really see it as worthwhile going unless you live closer to Syd. than <i>we</i> do.
/rant lol

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I'm going to the MANSW one at Usyd, my 4u math teacher doesnt even know that the study days exist...my 3u teacher had to book it. Definitely not going to the TSD though.

PiGMAN

HSC
I'll be going to TSD. That's reason enough for anyone to come, right?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
Why not TSD? It's run by MANSW, too...
Because I have already organised to do the lecture at Usyd, and I was under the impression that it was geared towards students with an interest in extracurricular and tertiary mathematics.

HayleeKate

HSC
I asked my teacher about TSD and he gave me the info for both of them, and no one else seems interested so its just me picking what I want to go to..
I'm mainly interested because I'm worried about not being pushed far enough by my teacher, and would like a bit of the extra stuff to fill out my knowledge.

Trev's right about it being costly to travel down, accomm. etc, aparently we get a few on North Coast, UNE @ Armidale does study days for pretty much every subject, and they're free normally, I'm doing history ext next week there, Lismore SCU does a maths ext one too, but obviously these arent quite the qualtity of the MANSW Usyd & Macquarie.

[trev: 6 hours the way I drive.. lol]

Trev

stix
HSC
HayleeKate said:
Trev's right about it being costly to travel down, accomm. etc, aparently we get a few on North Coast, UNE @ Armidale does study days for pretty much every subject, and they're free normally, I'm doing history ext next week there, Lismore SCU does a maths ext one too, but obviously these arent quite the qualtity of the MANSW Usyd & Macquarie.

[trev: 6 hours the way I drive.. lol]
Few friends going to that history extension lecture thing, told them it was a waste of time though, especially since it's history (urgh, boring) (and yes, I know you love it lol).
If you're driving at night careful with the semi's, they're bitches! :chainsaw:

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
my teacher intentionally didnt let our school know about em cause he didnt wanna organise it, but i got the info from elsewhere and am now tryin 2 organise a group from my school 2 go up2 TSD, mite try somethin for the other one 2, did someone say its also by MANSW??

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I don't know whether my teacher knows about the TSD as he hasn't mentioned it at all. However, we were given a form to attend the lectures at USyd...I didn't bother with it. But I might go to the TSD if my teacher knows about it...if not, maybe I'll have to tell him about it.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
<b>PLEASE POST A LINK WITH INFO ABOUT THIS STUDY DAY OR WRITE IT DOWN OR SCAN THE PAGE THAT YOUR TEACHER GAVE YOU</b>

sorry, no one replied to my other post so i wanted to make sure people read this tine..

ishq

brown?
HSC
Please Google.

Our teacher has given us nil information about either. Ill probably haggle him about it tomorrow.
I propose all BoSers wear flouroscent clothing. :D

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
ishq said:
Please Google.

Our teacher has given us nil information about either. Ill probably haggle him about it tomorrow.
I propose all BoSers wear flouroscent clothing. :D
i cant find it

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
"Please post to:
The Mathematical Association of NSW, PO Box 339 North Ryde 1670 by Friday 6 May 2005
ENCLOSING A SELF-ADDRESSED ENVELOPE SO THAT WE CAN SEND YOU
ENROLMENT DETAILS"

Oh crap! I better quickly do it tomorrow. Hopefully that's just for further details, not actual enrolment.
Hopefully my teacher (or at least the Maths co-ordinator at my school) has got the details...I'd hate to miss out on the TSD.

On the day, someone should hold up a BoS sign...everyone from the BoS forums can meet up then :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Damn...I just looked at my school calendar and realised that the TSD is on the Friday just after I go back to school for T3. Why did they organise the TSD for a school day?? Grrr... :confused:

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
look in the 'top students' thread, i posted a link in there, cant be bothered now

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I'm emailing them now, guys. It'd suck if we missed out.

Still, there's the USyd MANSW study days (Which I'll also be going to).
At least that's held during the school holidays.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Since the 4th of July is fast approaching, I thought I would ask how many other people are going to the MANSW Usyd study day?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)