which elective is best? (1 Viewer)

frezzel

HSC
My bio class is going to take a vote next term on which elective to do this year and i was wondering which ones are the most interesting.

Cheers, freya :)

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
well, i did genetics:the code broken and enjoyed it immensely. it involves looking at DNA, patterns of inheritance of characteristics, genes and the chromosomes on them, and how inheritance of genes is affected by the position of said genes on chromosomes, and how to determine the position of genes on a chromosome. also, we looked at the human genome project which helps to trace genetic diseases and disorders among other stuff, and we studies the use of gene therapies to treat such genetic diseases. also: mutations on chromosomes, more stuff on DNA, cloning and recombinant DNA - the methods and use in agriculture etc. and also evolution and its connection with genetic inheritance and evidences etc.
phew
i could see how my topic could be boring to an extent. there's less 'meat' as such i think. but i really enjoyed it so thats a testament to it.
my advice to you: find the syllbuses online and read through them all. you'll get a better idea then. all that ramble up there ^^ was me revising my syllabus
:)

frezzel

HSC
yeah initially when the teacher told us about the choices, genetics appealed to me. i definately dont want to do the one that looks at evolution. I am also interested in the cloning one (sorry i dont know the names).

whatdafork

HSC
At our school, all biology classes do genetics:the code broken. My teacher said it was a lot easier to digest than the other optiosn as we would have gained the basis of the topic when we did blueprint of life.

But damn, I would have loved to do the human story.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The Human Story (Evolution of Humans): You will like this topic if you enjoyed learning about the paelontology side of things, the evidence of evolution (biogeography, fossils, the limbs etc) in the Prelim course

Genetics: You will enjoy this if you enjoyed looking at DNA structure, how genes are passed on (inheritance) and punnet squares.

Biotechnology: Looking at industrial and practical side of biology; e.g. fermentation, enzymes DNA technology.

Biochemistry: If you like photosynthesis in cholroplasts, energy production via the mitochondria.

Communication: emphasises on anatomy, physiology of organs invovled in communication. e.g eyes, ears.

frezzel

HSC
thanks that helps heaps..its so hard to decide..i will go and sleep on it.

thanks, frezzel

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
frezzel said:
thanks that helps heaps..its so hard to decide..i will go and sleep on it.

thanks, frezzel
That means you will probably enjoy whichever one is picked because they are all good. So don't worry! :)

Master Gopher

HSC
I'm keen on doing either Biochem or maybe the genetics one....but I'm afraid about a third of my class will vote against biochem because they think it'll be too hard or boring. But none of the electives is a great deal harder than the others, and I want as much chem in my bio as possible! :)

jamesy_1988

HSC
Hey I did the biochemistry elective and found it to be really good and it is pretty easy to pick up some marks in the exams so long as you know you stuff. But I have a decent amount of trouble with one of the practicals as it took repeated attempts to obtain data.

Anyways I you choose to do the biochem elective please feel free to contact me jamesy_1988@hotmail.com and I'll be happy to help you, or you can have a llok at my website http;//www.geocities.com/jamesyscience though the biochem stuff isn't there yet, but will be in the next month or two when the site gets updated.

Jamesy

Dr_Doom

HSC
I wouldn't mind doing Genetics. We are doing it now with BluePrint of Life, and it's pretty easy...

Frezzel you sure are planning ahead :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)