Which degree? (1 Viewer)

blurp

HSC
So I have 2 degrees offered, one from UNSW- psychological science and one from Macquarie uni- applied finance/commerce-prof accounting. I am currently stuck in deciding which one to choose, because ultimately I want to do something Commerce related and finance and accounting seems interesting and in demand.

If I were to undertake psych science I would need to get 75 WAM to be considered for commerce at UNSW next year. I would be majoring in management so some of my subjects can be credited. Although I would be under a lot of pressure to do well. But IF i got accepted into commerce I'd have the chance to think more about what i want to major in, in commerce. It'd be great if anyone could tell me about their experiences regarding internal transfers.

On the other hand, I've already got a degree offered from Macquarie in finance and accounting but it is a non-go8 university (don't know if this is important) and not as prestigious as UNSW. Thus, I'm concerned about how this will affect employment prospects (e.g. getting into ernst and young, deloitte) Plus I'm a bit concerned about finance getting really tough 2nd and 3rd year (or so I've heard) so not sure if I would be getting the best GPA (if anyone who does finance at Macquarie please tell me about their experiences on how difficult it can get).

I'd appreciate any advice on which would be the better choice. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You want to do Finance, so you go to Macquarie and do Finance...? I don't see the problem.

converge

HSC
N/A
You seem quite passionate about doing something in accounting/finance. Therefore, I would go with Macquarie and transfer to UNSW after you have completed a year of study.

blurp

HSC
It does seem interesting, but having only did 2 unit maths in year 12, I'm a bit worried the maths in finance might get substantially difficult for me in 2nd and 3rd years.. don't wanna risk failing lol
Also theres this basic actuarial studies unit we have to take in first year so I'm not sure I'll be able to transfer back to UNSW cuz i won't get like distinction or anything which is needed for transfer.
Internal transfers I heard are easier though?

Last edited:

Cl324

HSC
N/A
The difference in reputation between UNSW and MACQ is not large enough to justify doing a psych science. Just go MACQ, you can always transfer into UNSW if you have a good WAM. But seriously the difference between the two unis for Accounting is minute at most. Just work hard and you'll be fine.
Worst case scenario: you cant transfer in and end up with a psych science degree unrelated to what you want to do. Are you willing to risk that?

converge

HSC
N/A
Worst case scenario: you cant transfer in and end up with a psych science degree unrelated to what you want to do. Are you willing to risk that?
This is a very good point. Prestige does play a small factor in my mind but enjoying what your doing is most important. If your heart is not set on psych science you would run the risk of losing time and money.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This is a very good point. Prestige does play a small factor in my mind but enjoying what your doing is most important. If your heart is not set on psych science you would run the risk of losing time and money.
Prestige is generally the last thing an employer MAY look at if they run out of ways to differentiate between candidates. This would often mean their hiring process is flawed to a certain point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)